Are we seeing too many open world games?

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
I've been feeling burned out on open world games for a while now. They really rose in prominence last gen, but this gen has been overkill and we've seen plenty of games this gen that have either very shallow, boring open worlds (I'm looking at you Ubisoft) or games that seem to force open worlds onto games that don't need it (the recent Gears of War).

I'm not against open world games. This gen has still seen some really impressive open world games (Breath of the Wild, RDR2) but too many times it seems games are just using it as a crutch which creates a lot of overlong games with lots of filler side quests and lazy writing.

A well crafted, curated linear game can be just as fulfilling to play than a good open world game but there came this point in the last few ideas were the word linear was seen as a negative when describing a game. I think that's a shame. Some of my favorite games this gen have been very linear (Doom, RE2 remake, LoU2). But we're seeing less of these games and more checklist completion dull open world games.

Does Halo need to be an open world game? I dunno...maybe it'll be more Breath of the Wild than Far Cry 24: More Towers and Enemy Camps. I hope so.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Naw...

tenor.gif

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I just barely started gears 5 before I put it on hold for ghost of tsushima...didn’t know it was an open world game...it starts off very linear...I’m extremely early in the game tho...I’m curious to play the game some more now

I’ll never tire of the open world genre long as the game(s) is done right as is the case with ghost of tsushima...I’ve experienced more pluses than minuses this gen when it comes to open world games

Last edited:

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
It's what people demand. Folks don't want to drop 60 dollars for a one off single player experience unless it is REALLY good.

As the other poster said, done right, open world is the best thing in gaming.

The open world survival model is stale, but it's a way to milk players for DLC money.

Barlow

He,Him,Nigguh
Daps
yes

i miss when "open world" was actually an interesting attribute to a game.

now everything is an openworld 100hr rpg. sometimes i just want to play a game, not have to get "immersed" everytime i pick the controller back up.
idk how nikkas have the time to play all this shyt

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
YES

level design is much easier and coherent in linear games, therefore its way easier to design interesting and engaging linear gameplay than open-world.

i have no problem with open world games but not every game needs to be like that. nothing wrong with a linear game, especially one that gives you a bunch of hidden paths and secrets like og god of war

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Open World is not necessarily the issue, it's the formula that companies are using:
  • Towers to expose additional areas/quests/treasures
  • Bases/Camps that need to be liberated.
  • Missions being padded out with long walks, hikes, drives, swims, flights, etc between locations.
  • Repetitive Mission Types:
    • Chase Missions
    • Stealth Missions
    • Retrieve the MacGuffin Missions
  • Trinkets spread across the map for collection
  • Story being told during long slow paced walks.
  • Quantity of activity over quantity.
You add in a shytty gameplay loop with this formula and you get a terrible game.

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
Open World is not necessarily the issue, it's the formula that companies are using:
  • Towers to expose additional areas/quests/treasures
  • Bases/Camps that need to be liberated.
  • Missions being padded out with long walks, hikes, drives, swims, flights, etc between locations.
  • Repetitive Mission Types:
    • Chase Missions
    • Stealth Missions
    • Retrieve the MacGuffin Missions
  • Trinkets spread across the map for collection
  • Story being told during long slow paced walks.
  • Quantity of activity over quantity.
You add in a shytty gameplay loop with this formula and you get a terrible game.

*cough*TLOU2*cough*

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Open world games get the most value out of purchase next to sports games and shooters if they're good

If I'm interested in finding shyt in the world, exploring, and learning the story then it's the best thing out. If it's just repetitive loops with nothing engaging it can feel like an actual job.

Horizon is the best example. It follows alot of the tropes but everything put into keeps me coming back on my first time playthrough. Compared to Ubisoft joints (bar Watch Dogs 2) which is a chore to get through.