Are movie goers too picky when it comes to content now?

PopOnCloud9

All Star
Daps
I wouldn't say movie goers are too picky, moreso studios aren't willing to risk trying something different. The best theater experience I had this year was catching a 10 PM showing of Nope. No folks looking for in theater punchlines, no phones out and a different set of trailers catered to the demographic of who would watch the current film. The general consensus is most folks are burned out of blockbusters, yet until dollars say otherwise they will still rule and save the box offices. Some of the good stuff I seen on streaming could of went to the movies but once again the studios are scared of taking the risk.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
:russ:

kinda like it's Youtue's fault you can't watch trailers? :childplease:
don't be naïve. youtube, instagram, twitter, reddit. they all show trailers. people are attached to their mobile phones. If most people get news from social media, how the hell you don't think that's where they are seeing the trailers.

and not just the trailers, you got spoilers, leaks and all types of theories that get distributed.

the game has changed.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
don't be naïve. youtube, instagram, twitter, reddit. they all show trailers. people are attached to their mobile phones. If most people get news from social media, how the hell you don't think that's where they are seeing the trailers.

and not just the trailers, you got spoilers, leaks and all types of theories that get distributed.

the game has changed.

I see most of my trailers in the theaters.

You on the other hand,, seek out that shyt.

I only seek out spoilers if I wanna get spoiled. 90% of the time I'm not spoiled. There's an occasional YT vid from my feed that might have spoiled something in the title or comment of unrelated video, but that's far and few.

It's not my fault you're weak minded and let temptation get the best of you over some stupid comic book movies.

Thief's Theme

All Star
Daps
they're not picky enough

all those Marvel moveis are trash and they made billions

grown adults paying money to see video game looking movies made for children

Thief's Theme

All Star
Daps
Stop calling film "content"....that sums up so many of the problems of contemporary cinema.

And no I don't think they're too picky considering the only stuff that succeeds in the cinema now is assembly line lowest common dominator shyt from Disney, DC etc. If anything people have lowered their standards and become infantalized. Studios have doubled down on franchise shyt, which has squeezed out the middle such as adult dramas and genres like comedies which have shifted more to television. Horror is really the only thing outside of the big IP/franchise cinema that can consistently make money theatrically.

It's a sorry state of affairs. Streaming has really lowered the bar in quality. Netflix is just an assembly line of total medicority that disappears into the streaming ether hours after it's released, never to be thought of again. But people accept it because of the convenience and they still view it as good value (despite the fact that the shyt seems to go up by a couple of bucks every other week and you have to subscribe to 10 other services to get all the good shyt). I think it's turned audiences into brain dead zombies who eat up "content" that they spend half the time on their phone while watching. Doesn't really matter if it's good or not.

great post

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
4h3s4apa

Him

1-1800-IMHIM
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Golden △
Alot of people still think everything is supposed to be an event like Endgame.
End game was a once in a life time event. We never gonna have the same feelings in a movie as that one ever again.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I wouldn't say movie goers are too picky, moreso studios aren't willing to risk trying something different. The best theater experience I had this year was catching a 10 PM showing of Nope. No folks looking for in theater punchlines, no phones out and a different set of trailers catered to the demographic of who would watch the current film. The general consensus is most folks are burned out of blockbusters, yet until dollars say otherwise they will still rule and save the box offices. Some of the good stuff I seen on streaming could of went to the movies but once again the studios are scared of taking the risk.

That's exactly what going to the movies is about, for me. Being MOVED by cinema, feeling an emotion, not just consuming something. You see a movie like Moonlight, or Waves, that just left me breathless, and wiped out, or something like Bardo, that's weird and funny, and powerful, that's the experience I want. Not just to be lured into a warm bath of comfort watching predictable content.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
On example of the bullshyt is every movie with female or black leads are considered woke.

If Blade came out today it would be considered woke for no reason. :mjpls: Passenger 57 would’ve been woke

Snipes wouldn’t have had a career in this era

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A number of people feel that only movies with big special effects should be seen in theaters and while everything else is only streaming worthy :scust:

I love watching any genre of film at the theater definitely if it's at Alamo Drafthouse

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I use to like watching the previews, but YouTube killed the experience for me. Especially with marvel movies. By the time I see a trailer in the previews, I’ve already seen it 50 times, including reaction videos and shot by shot breakdowns :dead:
If I watch a trailer it's at the theater. At home don't hit the same, imo.