Are movie goers too picky when it comes to content now?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Stop calling film "content"....that sums up so many of the problems of contemporary cinema.

And no I don't think they're too picky considering the only stuff that succeeds in the cinema now is assembly line lowest common dominator shyt from Disney, DC etc. If anything people have lowered their standards and become infantalized. Studios have doubled down on franchise shyt, which has squeezed out the middle such as adult dramas and genres like comedies which have shifted more to television. Horror is really the only thing outside of the big IP/franchise cinema that can consistently make money theatrically.

It's a sorry state of affairs. Streaming has really lowered the bar in quality. Netflix is just an assembly line of total medicority that disappears into the streaming ether hours after it's released, never to be thought of again. But people accept it because of the convenience and they still view it as good value (despite the fact that the shyt seems to go up by a couple of bucks every other week and you have to subscribe to 10 other services to They been making get all the good shyt). I think it's turned audiences into brain dead zombies who eat up "content" that they spend half the time on their phone while watching. Doesn't really matter if it's good or not.
They been making movies for cinema since the 1920s. There is way more filler than what's happened in streaming so far. Movies are great but the technology of home has made the theater experience somewhat obsolete you can enjoy them at home. It's just not worth the hassle for like 90% of movies.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
kinda mad I didn’t see this in theaters…never saw the first one but I heard good things about the cinematography in this one…

wondering if Cruise’s push to see it in theaters was for the art or for his paycheck tho :patrice:
:lolbron: I can see it as both...I'm sure he got paid nicely on the backend since the movie did well...but shyt was :banderas: in dolby and well worth seeing in a theater

I'm not even a big fan of the first one, but the dog fights in this was :youngsabo:

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Attention spans have changed and rather than adapt, theatres have made movies even longer….all to keep you in the theatre as long as possible to spend more money. It’s sickening.

I rewatch a bunch of old 90s movies and even the more complex ones are around 90 minutes. Ie Usual Suspects is an hour and 45, Sixth sense is an hour and 45. Comedies some are even under 90….Big time movies nowadays tho are 2 and a half hours and even a comedy is 2 hours :pacspit:

It has to be an absolute blockbuster for me to go in a theatre.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
Everyone owns a decent enough tv these days that they can wait. Even tho the best tv on the market is trash compared to the film screen, its more comfortable to be at home. One thing i have noticed going to the theater 3-5 days a week is these a$$holes that think they are watching at home and having full blown conversations while the flick is playin…like fam, i dont give a fukk about your predictions and theories and neither does the friend you are with.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I think for a variety of reasons, people don't really critique anything anymore. They just consume. Read a good post from @Piff Perkins that touched on that, and put into words what I have felt for awhile.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Stop calling film "content"....that sums up so many of the problems of contemporary cinema.

And no I don't think they're too picky considering the only stuff that succeeds in the cinema now is assembly line lowest common dominator shyt from Disney, DC etc. If anything people have lowered their standards and become infantalized. Studios have doubled down on franchise shyt, which has squeezed out the middle such as adult dramas and genres like comedies which have shifted more to television. Horror is really the only thing outside of the big IP/franchise cinema that can consistently make money theatrically.

It's a sorry state of affairs. Streaming has really lowered the bar in quality. Netflix is just an assembly line of total medicority that disappears into the streaming ether hours after it's released, never to be thought of again. But people accept it because of the convenience and they still view it as good value (despite the fact that the shyt seems to go up by a couple of bucks every other week and you have to subscribe to 10 other services to get all the good shyt). I think it's turned audiences into brain dead zombies who eat up "content" that they spend half the time on their phone while watching. Doesn't really matter if it's good or not.
Agreed. The scary thing is that we now have a very large group of people who have been conditioned by Disney and streaming content to despise actual cinema. The idea of a film being about something more than the plot, or having a meaning beyond "where is the Easter egg and what's the after-credits teaser scene" offends these people. Watching these people go insane over superhero movies not getting Best Picture nominations, or the weird attempts to attack Scorsese...just madness. Folks falling over themselves to defend The Corporation.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Agreed. The scary thing is that we now have a very large group of people who have been conditioned by Disney and streaming content to despise actual cinema. The idea of a film being about something more than the plot, or having a meaning beyond "where is the Easter egg and what's the after-credits teaser scene" offends these people. Watching these people go insane over superhero movies not getting Best Picture nominations, or the weird attempts to attack Scorsese...just madness. Folks falling over themselves to defend The Corporation.
you just offended the op :russ:

THE 101

House Painter
Daps

This is what disgusts me so much about these people. It's not enough that superhero films completely dominate box office and popular culture, they also want to be validated as real art and to have film makers like Scorsese bow down to the cinematic greatness of Thor and Dr fukkin Strange.

It's an inherent insecurity based on the fact that deep down they know what they consume is made for children.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
This is what disgusts me so much about these people. It's not enough that superhero films completely dominate box office and popular culture, they also want to be validated as real art and to have film makers like Scorsese bow down to the cinematic greatness of Thor and Dr fukkin Strange.

It's an inherent insecurity based on the fact that deep down they know what they consume is made for children.

Blame the internet and social media.

Marvel gets blamed when it’s actually the industry.

Basically the first 2 weeks are the most important time for any movie release. People don’t buy DVD’s anymore and that’s how studios made a lot of their profit on the back end.

Studios aren’t willing to take risks anymore because they will lose money.

Then you got companies like Netflix, Apple, and Amazon that have made movies good enough to get theatrical releases, but they don’t.

Marvel only puts out 3 or 4 movies a year tops, so you can’t blame them. Going to the movies like going to the mall isn’t part of pop culture anymore.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Blame the internet and social media.

Marvel gets blamed when it’s actually the industry.

Basically the first 2 weeks are the most important time for any movie release. People don’t buy DVD’s anymore and that’s how studios made a lot of their profit on the back end.

Studios aren’t willing to take risks anymore because they will lose money.

Then you got companies like Netflix, Apple, and Amazon that have made movies good enough to get theatrical releases, but they don’t.

Marvel only puts out 3 or 4 movies a year tops, so you can’t blame them. Going to the movies like going to the mall isn’t part of pop culture anymore.
:russ:

kinda like it's Youtue's fault you can't watch trailers? :childplease: