BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I just don't know why it needed to be said in the Aquaman thread. Why not post it in the Black Panther thread?
even with the "this is random"
the shyt is still like WHY??
even moreso like, why Black Panther?
:deadmanny:

what T'Challa do to you?
:pachaha:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

This is pathetic.. Maybe I should rephrase what I meant. The DC/Marvel 'war' I guess is taken seriously by some weirdos but the majority of people who view these films just want to see some cool comic book shyt.

I grew up watching DC cartoons and Marvel cartoons and reading comics of Batman and X-Men and a bunch of others, it wasn't until later in life that I realized what the different companies were.

And.. the people at Marvel do not want to see DC do poorly or vice versa. I'm talking the executives and the actors. Someone said that David Ayer talked shyt about Marvel but he has no room to talk about anything, he's kinda fallen off lately :ld:

Still FloW

Gawd Of Shinobi
Daps
Reppin
Inside K. Michelle's Box
This is pathetic.. Maybe I should rephrase what I meant. The DC/Marvel 'war' I guess is taken seriously by some weirdos but the majority of people who view these films just want to see some cool comic book shyt.

I grew up watching DC cartoons and Marvel cartoons and reading comics of Batman and X-Men and a bunch of others, it wasn't until later in life that I realized what the different companies were.

And.. the people at Marvel do not want to see DC do poorly or vice versa. I'm talking the executives and the actors. Someone said that David Ayer talked shyt about Marvel but he has no room to talk about anything, he's kinda fallen off lately :ld:

minus my trolling, i feel the same

reigun

Superstar
Daps

There's so much...bitterness surrounding these movies now, particularly with DC. People have spent so much time and energy focusing on negatives and thrown their all into this 'war' that now it's hard to really appreciate shyt. It's not just fun anymore. Now it's about everyone playing armchair movie producer about how these movies "should" be.

I've watched some reaction videos to the Aquaman trailer and I've noticed two things. 1. Despite all the passionate Internet debates, most people have no idea how movies are made, how to discuss them beyond referencing other things, or what makes any of these movies work be they from Marvel Studios, Fox, Sony, or WB. Part of the reason i think it's gotten so bad is you have all these voices participating in conversations and debates they don't really have the depth of knowledge to be in. However, that's not gonna stop them from having an opinion because this is the Internet where people have opinions on everything.

Second thing is how they all say the same things whether they liked or disliked it (most I've seen like it, btw). You could almost construct a flowchart of what people say based on whether they liked it or not. People who like it will talk about how cool everything looked and how Jason Momoa makes Aquaman "cool." Those who dislike it will say some mixture of the words "bad effects," "cringe," and "CGI/video game" before launching into the customary "DC sucks" diatribe. No one is saying anything new or interesting. It's criticism without insight or nuance, and most attempts at those things usually result in people talking out of their ass (I watched one where someone said DC based their current films on the New 52, which isn't true at all for any of them except Aquaman).

I point the second one out because I think the biggest thing keeping this "war" going is what I can best describe as the "meme-ification" of opinions. When it comes to these superhero movie discussions, no one is really thinking outside the box or trying to understand anything about the films themselves. It's all about how the movies fit into this "war" and further their opinion of either company. Every Marvel movie is meant to reaffirm their dominance, every DC movie their incompetence. To do that, opinions about the films themselves are formed quickly and without much thought. You just kinda say what everyone else is saying. People are fighting each other with buzzwords and shouting at companies with opinions they got from some rando doing videos in his bedroom.

People say they want to like both and yadda yadda, but I think that's just to keep the fanboys off their back (internet personalities and users thrive on maintaining an air of false objectivity as a way to shield themselves from criticism of their more obvious biases and lacking opinions even as many of them try to be as abrasive and stir up as much shyt as possible). One thing I can say for The Film Room here is that it does feel like a place where people are generally trying to enjoy themselves and if they don't, they disengage with whatever it is. I think that's why, as someone who just started posting here but has been on other forums, the Marvel vs DC stuff bothers some. It's so different from the ethos of this place and how many of you prefer to discuss film and television. Sadly, it's the norm elsewhere.

Last edited:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
There's so much...bitterness surrounding these movies now, particularly with DC. People have spent so much time and energy focusing on negatives and thrown their all into this 'war' that now it's hard to really appreciate shyt. It's not just fun anymore. Now it's about everyone playing armchair movie producer about how these movies "should" be.

I've watched some reaction videos to the Aquaman trailer and I've noticed two things. 1. Despite all the passionate Internet debates, most people have no idea how movies are made, how to discuss them beyond referencing other things, or what makes any of these movies work be they from Marvel Studios, Fox, Sony, or WB. Part of the reason i think it's gotten so bad is you have all these voices participating in conversations and debates they don't really have the depth of knowledge to be in. However, that's not gonna stop them from having an opinion because this is the Internet where people have opinions on everything.

Second thing is how they all say the same things whether they liked or disliked it (most I've seen like it, btw). You could almost construct a flowchart of what people say based on whether they liked it or not. People who like it will talk about how cool everything looked and how Jason Momoa makes Aquaman "cool." Those who dislike it will say some mixture of the words "bad effects," "cringe," and "CGI/video game" before launching into the customary "DC sucks" diatribe. No one is saying anything new or interesting. It's criticism without insight or nuance, and most attempts at those things usually result in people talking out of their ass (I watched one where someone said DC based their current films on the New 52, which isn't true at all for any of them except Aquaman).

I point the second one out because I think the biggest thing keeping this "war" going is what I can best describe as the "meme-ification" of opinions. When it comes to these superhero movie discussions, no one is really thinking outside the box or trying to understand anything about the films themselves. It's all about how the movies fit into this "war" and further their opinion of either company. Every Marvel movie is meant to reaffirm their dominance, every DC movie their incompetence. To do that, opinions about the films themselves are formed quickly and without much thought. You just kinda say what everyone else is saying. People are fighting each other with buzzwords and shouting at companies with opinions they got from some rando doing videos in his bedroom.

People say they want to like both and yadda yadda, but I think that's just to keep the fanboys off their back. One thing I can say for The Film Room here is that it does feel like a place where people are generally trying to enjoy themselves and if they don't, they disengage with whatever it is. I think that's why, as someone who just started posting here but has been on other forums, the Marvel vs DC stuff bothers some. It's so different from the ethos of this place and how many of you prefer to discuss film and television. Sadly, it's the norm elsewhere.
tenor.gif

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY

People say they want to like both and yadda yadda, but I think that's just to keep the fanboys off their back. One thing I can say for The Film Room here is that it does feel like a place where people are generally trying to enjoy themselves and if they don't, they disengage with whatever it is. I think that's why, as someone who just started posting here but has been on other forums, the Marvel vs DC stuff bothers some. It's so different from the ethos of this place and how many of you prefer to discuss film and television. Sadly, it's the norm elsewhere.
Damn!
:meloohhh:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
It's so different from the ethos of this place and how many of you prefer to discuss film and television. Sadly, it's the norm elsewhere.

Anyone who legit pretends like a win at the box office for a film or a win with critics is somehow making their own lives better off has some issues. I understand cheering for teams and making jokes but when it goes beyond that :mjlol: shyts pathetic.

Disney and WB are both billion dollar corporations, Disney has Marvel, their live action remakes, Pixar, Star Wars.. WB makes types of films for all genres, the DC stuff, the Harry Potter stuff, they got HBO, they run CNN and TBS/TNT, have deals with NBA and MLB to run their streaming services.

I don't think people fully understand how huge these companies are. A Hans Solo movie just fukking bombed and Disney went on like it nothing. These companies can afford shyt like that to happen.

reigun

Superstar
Daps
Anyone who legit pretends like a win at the box office for a film or a win with critics is somehow making their own lives better off has some issues. I understand cheering for teams and making jokes but when it goes beyond that :mjlol: shyts pathetic.

Disney and WB are both billion dollar corporations, Disney has Marvel, their live action remakes, Pixar, Star Wars. WB makes types of films for all genres, the DC stuff, the Harry Potter stuff, they got HBO, they run CNN and TBS/TNT, have deals with NBA and MLB to run their streaming services.

I don't think people fully understand how huge these companies are. A Hans Solo movie just fukking bombed and Disney went on like it nothing. These companies can afford shyt like that to happen.
The funniest thing about it is fans acting like the execs and creators are all pressed about shyt when these people are all friends in real life! Kevin Feige and Geoff Johns legit hang out all the time. The higher ups aren't mad because they're getting their money regardless. Sure, the guys at WB want the DC movies to do better, but not because they particularly care about "beating Marvel." They just want to make more money. They could give a fukk less about, say, Captain Marvel making $700m at the box office next year as long as it doesn't stop Shazam! from doing the same.

Fans want this to be some kind of blood feud and it just isn't. Marvel and DC are practically the same company selling you the same product with different costumes. The writers and artists working on the comics themselves flip flop between the two all the time, some of them working at the both companies at the same time even, and don't think for a second that these actors and directors won't do the same if their contracts allow and the money/script is right.

That last one is the part I see so many really struggling with - the fact that these things exist to make money. They deride WB for "rushing" their universe to make money, but kind of ignore a simple fact: that's what everyone told them to do. I remember when The Avengers was just about to come out, and even in the face of The Dark Knight Rises gearing up to come out that same year, much of the discussion was about why DC didn't have the same thing Marvel had going. When they announced Man of Steel, there was a distinct feeling of "It's just a Superman movie?" in discussions about the film. Even I myself felt that way to an extent. The audience basically told WB that the fastest way to get their money - which is the only thing these companies care about - was to do a big universe thing, despite the fact that WB had not previously shown any interest in that. So they had Synder, who was initially under the impression he was just going to be making Superman movies, reconfigure his whole shyt to accomodate the new plans. Then, when fans rejected the "dark" tone they had previously been excited for until they weren't, had everything reconfigured again to accomodate that. The end result was Justice League, a Frankenstein's monster of a movie that doesn't showcase the best work from either director who worked on it and didn't make nearly what the company was hoping.

WB's biggest mistake in this whole thing was being too reactionary to the whims of a fickle and petulant audience that positions themselves as experts when in reality they can barely string together two sentences of worthwhile analysis and will change their opinions on the fly to fit into the sway of the general consensus. It resulted in a lot of hasty decisions that led to mediocre product and burned almost all of the DC brand's goodwill. I say "brand" because that's all most of these people commenting care about. Marvel movies could be directed by robots for all they care, and every DC film is met with suspicion regardless of who is directing or writing it save Wonder Woman 1984. It all about the brands and the logos for these people and movies don't mean much beyond how they fit into whatever narrative the person is trying to set up.

Still FloW

Gawd Of Shinobi
Daps
Reppin
Inside K. Michelle's Box

crvhOjJ.gif