Apple updates 13-inch MacBook Pro with Magic Keyboard, double the storage, and faster performance

GZR

Final round
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Dumb question but how do y’all afford MacBooks...the air looks enticing at $1000 but even still that’s a lot...
Some people (a$$holes) will just say "don't be poor lol".

Truth be told I find the cost to be justifiable as I find that they last me longer than windows laptops and have high resale value provided you keep them clean and retain the box. When I'm indoors spend most of my waking day using my MBP, whether working/studying, watching TV shows/movies/news, listening to music or just fukking about on the internet. As such it is extremely good value to me.

Before my first MBP in 2012 I had various Windows laptops and none ever came close to the build quality of the MBP. I had that MBP all the way until late 2016 and it was still working perfectly. It cost me around £900 with student discount in early 2013 and I sold it for almost £500 (with a couple of upgrades) after almost 4 years ownership. The true cost of ownership isn't bad at all.

My only beef with Apple now that they have fixed the butterfly keyboard issue is them sticking with the Touch Bar across the Pro line, it's a gimmicky piece of shyt IMO. I prefer the function keys and wish they would reintroduce an entry level one with function keys.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Going back and forth on buying this new macbook. New Ryzen 4000 chipsets are being dropped in thinner laptops at $699 price points in the states and most likely $899 here in Canada.

Meanwhile, this macbook will run me about $1800 for the base model.

Maybe I'll buy an iMac. Always loved using it while I was in college, so smooth. The non-upgradeable motif of Apple is hurting my dollar and sensibilities.

I had to return my XPS because of screen issues, beautiful computer with issues right out of the box.

Need something new...

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Going back and forth on buying this new macbook. New Ryzen 4000 chipsets are being dropped in thinner laptops at $699 price points in the states and most likely $899 here in Canada.

Meanwhile, this macbook will run me about $1800 for the base model.

Maybe I'll buy an iMac. Always loved using it while I was in college, so smooth. The non-upgradeable motif of Apple is hurting my dollar and sensibilities.

I had to return my XPS because of screen issues, beautiful computer with issues right out of the box.

Need something new...
Imac getting a redesign, id hold off on that one. This gen iMac pretty much been unchanged since 2012 minus processor updates.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Imac getting a redesign, id hold off on that one. This gen iMac pretty much been unchanged since 2012 minus processor updates.

Respect. For some reason I thought the 2020 was released. I guess I'll be waiting for that Acer to drop and then buy an iMac later on.

Not to my knowledge, but are there displays as nice as an iMac? Or am I going to have to buy an HD TV?

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Respect. For some reason I thought the 2020 was released. I guess I'll be waiting for that Acer to drop and then buy an iMac later on.

Not to my knowledge, but are there displays as nice as an iMac? Or am I going to have to buy an HD TV?
2020 iMacs starting production now.

no idea on the Acer display. I know the surface displays nice as fukk tho.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
2020 iMacs starting production now.

no idea on the Acer display. I know the surface displays nice as fukk tho.

At the end of February I was going to cop a dell display that could be pivoted down onto the table with drawing touch capabilities. Then, a black dude who really knew the products in the store brought me over to the Studio 2.

:whoo:

Other than the fact it feels like writing on a window, the system is smooth and the price is even colder than it is smooth. At certain price points I dont want to be seeing 8GB/256GB setups.

$4K

:what:

Surprise surprise, Microsoft doesn't announce a studio display only, bringing out an outdated Surface Book 3. Nice Surface headphones though.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Lol at 32 gb RAM thin laptop version. First of all you will never need 32 gigs on a thin laptop with small cooling system and laptop-ish processor and laptop-ish graphics card. It is for a serious graphics editing and gaming on a high graphics settings, both things that you may need a strong desktop computer to do that.
If you work in data, ram is more important even if it isn't fully utilized. You can quickly have a few applications that work with one another which can cause slow downs if you are stuck at 16gb of ram.

Dumb question but how do y’all afford MacBooks...the air looks enticing at $1000 but even still that’s a lot...
I don't know they save up for one or finance them?
People live on these devices, I think the prices compared to the value they are receiving is worth it. :manny:

When you use something everyday, it's better off to spend a little more to enjoy.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
At the end of February I was going to cop a dell display that could be pivoted down onto the table with drawing touch capabilities. Then, a black dude who really knew the products in the store brought me over to the Studio 2.

:whoo:

Other than the fact it feels like writing on a window, the system is smooth and the price is even colder than it is smooth. At certain price points I dont want to be seeing 8GB/256GB setups.

$4K

:what:

Surprise surprise, Microsoft doesn't announce a studio display only, bringing out an outdated Surface Book 3. Nice Surface headphones though.
How's the surface book 3 outdated :mjtf:
It has yet to have any real competition
10th gen processors, up to date and newer rtx graphics, much higher battery specs.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
How's the surface book 3 outdated :mjtf:
It has yet to have any real competition
10th gen processors, up to date and newer rtx graphics, much higher battery specs.

Eh, I expect better from Microsoft, and unfortunately they've followed the industry standard set by Apple with drip feeding upgrades.

Now picture a $3000 2-in-1 device that hasn't had the bezels reduced, finally had the wifi upgraded and a processor which has been beaten by Ryzen's 4800 in that Zephyr laptop.

To be fair you are getting two devices in one, so you could do worse, but with the previous issues of Book's batteries swelling and the tablet being too hot to operate, I wouldn't drop money into this device.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
If you work in data, ram is more important even if it isn't fully utilized. You can quickly have a few applications that work with one another which can cause slow downs if you are stuck at 16gb of ram.

Yes if you work with data you will likely need a lot of ram, but you will probably be using a stronger desktop computer rather than a thin laptop. You might need 32gb of ram if you are editing lots of 4K footage or work in the music industry and you need a lot of data accessible immediately. For most of the people it's an overkill and they likely pay too much money for something they won't be using to it's full potential.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
frugal gang. i copped all my pros used.

the current one i have is a 2015 model I got in 2016 off a website for 1k because some nerd was losing his mind for the new touch bar models at the time. I copped my shyt with full 3 years warranty still.. i've used plenty of computers in my life and I find even used macbooks more reliable than a lot of windows systems. i put my pro to task and it never gives me issues.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
@Pikachu!

Been waiting on this drop for a minute. Looking at doing the 32 RAM, 1 TB SSD and 2GHZ Quad Core with the 3.8 boost. Will cop in fall 2020 along with a ThinkPad for my home office.

Orange cream shake

Blessed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
null
I’m going to go ahead and get the macbook Air through my job discount. I’m strictly using it for uploading/ editing Microsoft documents And web browsing. What specs should I get or can I get the standard one. Also do you think it will go on sale for Memorial Day? Otherwise I’ll buy it tomorrow. I’m paying for this with cash so I’m trying to get the beat deal.

thanks

quoted from random thoughts thread