Apple is about to introduce a hardware subscription service. Will you subscribe?

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I have 4 iPads (2 are pretty much dead) and a MacBook but my phones are iPhone 7s on a cricket plan. There is no chance I sign up for this. Just buy a new device when you need it.

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
Damn. I mean damn.

I always thought SaaS (Software-As-A-Service) was BULLshyt. Back in the day when you bought Adobe Photoshop, you got the box, some documentation, the install disks, and a serial number. You installed it and that was it. You might've had a hardware dongle you had to connect (Steinberg [Cubase] was notorious for this), but once you bought the program, it was YOURS. I guess the companies thought a 'renting' model would be more profitable and curtail privacy? I guess it might, but I still can't believe people go along with it! After Adobe CS6 (already MASSIVELY overpriced, but at least I OWNED it), I stopped buying software. Between SaaS nonsense and Windows 10 and it's creepy telemetry, and none of my machines being able to run W11, I've pretty much completely switched to Linux. These greedy companies can eat shyt.

So now we're doing HARDWARE-As-A-Service? Get all the way the hell outta here with that!

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps

Basically you pay a certain amount to apple every month and you get access to their yearly hardware releases like iPhones, iPads or macs. I don’t really buy their products every year so it’s not for me. But for those who need to have the latest iPhone every year it could tempt them to subscribe

This is just to rent the hardware not own it:francis:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
This is just to rent the hardware not own it:francis:

shiiiittt, it's already hella people renting cable modems for decades for $10+ per month, which is outrageous.

also, plenty of older people are renting cable boxes. I'm not trying to rent any hardware. every piece of hardware I currently have in my house I own at least.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
This could be good for creators who need the latest technology for workflow purposes. Video editors. Photo. shyt like that. Just depends on the cost of the service and the coverage for any possible damage.

Pete Wrigley

Twerk, Petunia, Twerk!
Supporter
Daps
Never ordered from that site…..trustworthy?
Definitely! I've ordered a few devices from Swappa and I've never had an issue. Their customer service is really good too and I only know that because one time, I had purchased a tablet and the seller didn't respond or send tracking details after my purchase. But their customer service cleared it up and I got a refund.

I'd recommend buying through Apple Refurbished or Swappa, you can't go wrong with either.

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
shiiiittt, it's already hella people renting cable modems for decades for $10+ per month, which is outrageous.

also, plenty of older people are renting cable boxes. I'm not trying to rent any hardware. every piece of hardware I currently have in my house I own at least.
We're not talking about cable boxes. Noone can own those and the cable company attaches an equipment fee just like the phone company tracks a on list of hidden fees not the same thing as renting a cell phone because you gave the same cost or more then owning the phone out right. Keeping insurance on a rented phone is a must cuz if you break that shyt Apple billing you over 1k for that phone. It's better to buy your phones cash from an independent retailer like Amazon or Walmart and put that phone on the service of your choice. Unlocked phones from Amazon are what I reccomend.