Apple 2018 October event thread.

Daps
Reppin
SoFla
Remember that comparing a PC to a Mac in hardware specs doesn’t even make sense. OS X is tuned to the hardware so in most cases Macs get better performance than higher spec’d PCs running Windows 10. I’m sure there’s a Win10 PC out now with a quad core processor and more ram that’s much cheaper than the Mac but will get smoked in a benchmark AND in a year or two it’ll run and look like absolute shyt.

This was going to be my next question... I've never had a Mac so all I know is Windows performance. Is it worth it to upgrade to 16 gb RAM for $200 more just to future-proof it a little? I don't know how 8 gb RAM runs on a Mac so I was curious.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
This was going to be my next question... I've never had a Mac so all I know is Windows performance. Is it worth it to upgrade to 16 gb RAM for $200 more just to future-proof it a little? I don't know how 8 gb RAM runs on a Mac so I was curious.

Yeah I would if you can afford it because it will extend the useable life of the computer. The OS upgrades are yearly and they are free so the more resources your computer has the better it’ll perform 6 - 7 years down the road when the latest OS comes out. I have a 2009 iMac that can no longer handle current OS updates and I have a 2012 MBA that is still able to handle them just fine. You’ll be fine with either option though...these computers last forever they are not like cheap PC OEM junk that’s in the market.

Daps
Reppin
In the market for a laptop and I was trying to decide between this new Macbook Air ($1,199) and an entry level Macbook Pro ($1,299).

I don't know much about internals and stuff, but they seem pretty comparable, with the MBP being $100 more. But I know the MBP is their flagship so I'm willing to pay the extra $100 unless there's something I need to know that doesn't make it worth it.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated, as all these geeky specs look the same to me.

Thanks.

Wouldn’t recommend the base MBP. It has older generations processor and might get a refresh next year. Seems like the air is the better option.

Daps
Reppin
SoFla
Wouldn’t recommend the base MBP. It has older generations processor and might get a refresh next year. Seems like the air is the better option.

I saw that as well, but I figured a 2.3 GHZ dual core that's in the current entry-level MBP is still better than the 1.6 GHZ dual core that's in the new Air. Again, I don't know shyt about any of this stuff, so feel free to let me know if that's not the case. Kinda crazy to me that Apple would even make this a debate as to which one should be copped. I know the Air is lighter and what not, but I've seen the MBP in person and it's still considerably pretty light and thin, so they're pretty similar unless you are looking for the thinnest, lightest thing out.

I also looked into the regular MacBook and I can't see why anyone would even bother with that thing now.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
I saw that as well, but I figured a 2.3 GHZ dual core that's in the current entry-level MBP is still better than the 1.6 GHZ dual core that's in the new Air. Again, I don't know shyt about any of this stuff, so feel free to let me know if that's not the case. Kinda crazy to me that Apple would even make this a debate as to which one should be copped. I know the Air is lighter and what not, but I've seen the MBP in person and it's still considerably pretty light and thin, so they're pretty similar unless you are looking for the thinnest, lightest thing out.

I also looked into the regular MacBook and I can't see why anyone would even bother with that thing now.

Get whichever one you want.

Biblical Goon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

dawg..... don't get a entry level macbook, the specs are complete rubbish. You're gonna have to drop atleast 1700-2000 to get a future proof macbook being that you can't upgrade NONE of the internals anymore.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Delusional fukks in Cuppertino said:
iPad Pro is a magical piece of glass that does everything you need, any way you hold it.
:comeon:

Apple needs to stop. It's an overpriced tablet that costs more than your overpriced macbooks, macbook airs, most iMacs and some macbook pro models if specced out to the max.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
Remember that comparing a PC to a Mac in hardware specs doesn’t even make sense. OS X is tuned to the hardware so in most cases Macs get better performance than higher spec’d PCs running Windows 10. I’m sure there’s a Win10 PC out now with a quad core processor and more ram that’s much cheaper than the Mac but will get smoked in a benchmark AND in a year or two it’ll run and look like absolute shyt.

Apple tunes their devices to the chips they provide. That intel chip running in the Mac isn't giving it any type of speed increase from a Windows computer. It's not going to get smoked in any type of benchmarks because they run the same equipment.

I use MacOS and Windows 10. Windows 10 is a quicker operating system hands down.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps

The Air is only a better option if you want the fingerprint scanner. Otherwise, the processor in the 2017 MBP is faster. It's clocked faster and they have the same number of cores.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Apple tunes their devices to the chips they provide. That intel chip running in the Mac isn't giving it any type of speed increase from a Windows computer. It's not going to get smoked in any type of benchmarks because they run the same equipment.

I use MacOS and Windows 10. Windows 10 is a quicker operating system hands down.
I wouldn't go that far but there's definitely not much between them like there used to be. If your macbook or Windows pc doesn't have 16GB they'll both run like shyt very quickly. I use both every singles day.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I wouldn't go that far but there's definitely not much between them like there used to be. If your macbook or Windows pc doesn't have 16GB they'll both run like shyt very quickly. I use both every singles day.
8GB is more than enough for most people on windows.

macOS is just becoming a bloated mess by Apple’s desire to make everything pretty and lack of dedicated graphics on most of their laptops.

Notorious Jerry

Change&Hope Ambassador
Daps
Reppin
Chalmette,LA
Unless you start diving into editing 8 gb is more then enough for pretty much any user.