Apparently, Drake put the Migos on and brought Atlanta back to life

BreezyH

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
My questions with the Drake stimulus is why is it not working for his own label?

There’s a dishonest intent a lot of times when people ask this (not necessarily you). The stimulus is taking a bubbling record and bringing it to boil.

Drake does not take a random rapper off of the street and give them a hit (maybe Bloc boy - Memphis people let me know what his buzz was like). You actually need some kind of buzz to get noticed. Just like you need some kind of buzz before you get signed. Just like you would give an A&R credit for having the ear to understand what could be, Drake should be given some credit for helping propel an artist. Everybody wants to play the “well x would’ve popped anyway” game - well, it didn’t happen like that.

As for the OvO artists, they’re all basically from Canada so the odds of them popping off is about the same as any other Canadian artist the last 20 years. Kardinal and Tory both made it out, gets pretty sparse from there. Also most of the OvO acts are singers not rappers and have constantly said that the freedom their arrangement gives them is the benefit. Creatives getting to create, wild thought.

Tbh Drake drains his artists of songs they should have been theirs and use them for himself. No way a group like Majid Jordan shouldn't be in a the 20 pop charts.

I say it’s a perspective thing. PND’s biggest credits via Rih come off the back of his relationship with Drake. And it’s a known fact that both theses guys trade songs back and forth. Majid while not a household name have credit for one of Drake’s biggest song, I’m sure they look at their house/property and can draw a direct line from that.

It’s very clear that the OVO structure is do what you want and if you want a feature and/import you can hit up the boss

Peak

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My questions with the Drake stimulus is why is it not working for his own label?
I mean PND managed to curve out a pretty decent following despite coming off the back of The Weeknd. The rest of his camp are niche artists and bar a flash in the pan they were never going to pop.

2ATMsYouSteppinOrWhat

No Round 2’s :camumad:
Daps
@TheBeesOneFourThree you know you my guy, so put your earmuffs on for this because I don't want to hurt your feelings but.....

Are we ready to talk about the hypocrisy and contradictions in damn near half of what Dot said or did during this beef?
1) "fukk the big 3 its just big me" - he says, as the featured artist on a Future & Metro song. Just big me huh? :pachaha:

2) Same thing with the last verse on Not Like Us and all the things Drake went and got from the ATL artists he named. Meanwhile the first big Dot song in YEARS - Like That - is again a Future & Metro record :francis:

Drake has done more for each all those ATL artists that were named then Kendrick has done for ALL of them together. And there's more we can add to this list, but I'll stop here. He smoked Drake, that's not up for debate, just saying :manny:

1) if kendrick just dropped that verse on its own that verse wouldve still had the same impact. That verse is really it. like when kendrick drops the world stops for a minute if were really being honest (Family Ties, Heart pt 4 & 5)
Just look at this beef, everyone stood the fukk out the way while shyt was popping off. Kendrick shoved Taylor swift to the side with them songs breh.
So yeah ‘it’s just Big him’ (pause)

2) i think your kinda missing the point of that last verse on NLU. Cause kendrick has never implied or didnt imply/say that he helped those artists out or put them on.
this whole “kendrick is not big (pause)” narrative needs to stop cause it just doesnt make any sense at all from any charts & numbers standpoint.
I understand the argument, but when you actually apply logic to it it makes no sense

Yecht

Superstar
Daps
1) if kendrick just dropped that verse on its own that verse wouldve still had the same impact. That verse is really it. like when kendrick drops the world stops for a minute if were really being honest (Family Ties, Heart pt 4 & 5)
Just look at this beef, everyone stood the fukk out the way while shyt was popping off. Kendrick shoved Taylor swift to the side with them songs breh.
So yeah ‘it’s just Big him’ (pause)

2) i think your kinda missing the point of that last verse on NLU. Cause kendrick has never implied or didnt imply/say that he helped those artists out or put them on.
this whole “kendrick is not big (pause)” narrative needs to stop cause it just doesnt make any sense at all from any charts & numbers standpoint.
I understand the argument, but when you actually apply logic to it it makes no sense

1) We can "if" each other to death, it's foolish to argue hypotheticals. But when you talk about actual things that happened, the 2 times Dot has puffed up his chest (this and control) was as a feature artist on somebody else's shyt. Let me know when he has the cajones to start something by himself on a solo record. This song also popped off because the beat/hook combo is a fukking banger. It probably wouldn't have been THIS big without the Dot disses on it, but this song was going to be a #1 hit regardless :manny:

2) I understand every Kendrick angle on NLU, but this one is the most laughable. Drake has easily done more for every single ATL artist he named then what he has received. Migos popped off after the Versace remix (video in the OP stamps that). Drake's verse/stamp on No Lies for 2Chainz put him over the top as a solo artist after he went on his crazy feature run around that time after his rebrand from Titty Boi. Lil Baby was a nobody before the Pikachu record with Drake and he has consistently put him on features ever since because they sound good together. I digress on Thugga, they haven't done too much musically that has benefited either of them.... if anything it seems to me they are actually just cool with each other :manny:

Edit: To be fair, :heh: did step on that mine for #2 by saying and then doubling down on the "rapping like you freed the slaves" lines. Very foolish.

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There’s a dishonest intent a lot of times when people ask this (not necessarily you). The stimulus is taking a bubbling record and bringing it to boil.

Drake does not take a random rapper off of the street and give them a hit (maybe Bloc boy - Memphis people let me know what his buzz was like). You actually need some kind of buzz to get noticed. Just like you need some kind of buzz before you get signed. Just like you would give an A&R credit for having the ear to understand what could be, Drake should be given some credit for helping propel an artist. Everybody wants to play the “well x would’ve popped anyway” game - well, it didn’t happen like that.

As for the OvO artists, they’re all basically from Canada so the odds of them popping off is about the same as any other Canadian artist the last 20 years. Kardinal and Tory both made it out, gets pretty sparse from there. Also most of the OvO acts are singers not rappers and have constantly said that the freedom their arrangement gives them is the benefit. Creatives getting to create, wild thought.

I say it’s a perspective thing. PND’s biggest credits via Rih come off the back of his relationship with Drake. And it’s a known fact that both theses guys trade songs back and forth. Majid while not a household name have credit for one of Drake’s biggest song, I’m sure they look at their house/property and can draw a direct line from that.

It’s very clear that the OVO structure is do what you want and if you want a feature and/import you can hit up the boss
Imo if we’re giving credit to Drake for those artists popping we should give those artists credit for keeping Drake’s name hot.

Those bubbling artists are what the mainstream feeds off of

BreezyH

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Imo if we’re giving credit to Drake for those artists popping we should give those artists credit for keeping Drake’s name hot.

Those bubbling artists are what the mainstream feeds off of

Everything is transactional. Unless it’s purely for a check or friendship, hoping on someone’s song is a clear indication that you think it’s good and you can add something to it. The same people who don’t want to give Drake credit for the other records are now putting Sexxy Redd’s low numbers at his feet, so which is it?

Now when it comes to Drake writing songs and tossing them to another artist - that’s a clear stimulus.

2ATMsYouSteppinOrWhat

No Round 2’s :camumad:
Daps
1) We can "if" each other to death, it's foolish to argue hypotheticals. But when you talk about actual things that happened, the 2 times Dot has puffed up his chest (this and control) was as a feature artist on somebody else's shyt. Let me know when he has the cajones to start something by himself on a solo record. This song also popped off because the beat/hook combo is a fukking banger. It probably wouldn't have been THIS big without the Dot disses on it, but this song was going to be a #1 hit regardless :manny:

2) I understand every Kendrick angle on NLU, but this one is the most laughable. Drake has easily done more for every single ATL artist he named then what he has received. Migos popped off after the Versace remix (video in the OP stamps that). Drake's verse/stamp on No Lies for 2Chainz put him over the top as a solo artist after he went on his crazy feature run around that time after his rebrand from Titty Boi. Lil Baby was a nobody before the Pikachu record with Drake and he has consistently put him on features ever since because they sound good together. I digress on Thugga, they haven't done too much musically that has benefited either of them.... if anything it seems to me they are actually just cool with each other :manny:

Edit: To be fair, :heh: did step on that mine for #2 by saying and then doubling down on the "rapping like you freed the slaves" lines. Very foolish.

1) your doing the “if” argument aswell so lets just agree to disagree (even tho i’m right:youngsabo:)

2) 2chainz was already lit before no lie dropped
same as lil baby (freestyle, sold out dates dropped before yes indeed and those songs were making noise)
Thug was already washed by the time drizzy hopped on his wave