Anyone watching "Industry" on HBO?

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
But the show kinda says that Kenny is actually genuine. He's done work on himself through sobriety that no one else has. Notice each time he mentions anything personal to Eric, it's close and under the radar. Doesn't even flex the personal relationship.

I had to re-watch the episode, because a lot of it went over my head the first time. (Plus I had to turn on subtitles because I need to get used to the accents again).

Anyway, when I first watched the episode I thought that Kenny was totally screwed for no reason. BUT after watching it again I'm not totally sure he really was "actually genuine". One possible way of looking at it was that he was subtlety letting his boss know that he had compromising knowledge about him, and that (he thought) this made him un-touchable. If he didn't remind Eric that he knew that he was an alcoholic, Eric would have followed through on the plan to fire Rob.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If they ever do a Succession Prequel, Jon Snow surprisingly gives me Logan vibes.

MV5BNGI0NGRmMDAtYmE5Zi00NGUxLWI0N2ItNjZlZjhkMGJlMmQ3XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,22,500,281_.jpg

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
I had to re-watch the episode, because a lot of it went over my head the first time. (Plus I had to turn on subtitles because I need to get used to the accents again).

Anyway, when I first watched the episode I thought that Kenny was totally screwed for no reason. BUT after watching it again I'm not totally sure he really was "actually genuine". One possible way of looking at it was that he was subtlety letting his boss know that he had compromising knowledge about him, and that (he thought) this made him un-touchable. If he didn't remind Eric that he knew that he was an alcoholic, Eric would have followed through on the plan to fire Rob.
And for me, that’s the ultimate point.

That environment is too cutthroat to be pulling those memories out in dicey moments.
I would take that shyt as a threat, too.
Ppl randomly bringing up your previous traumatic/bad moment(s) when you’re clearly having a bad moment…:francis:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego

Not saying that is wrong, but Eric tips his hand to Yasmin, that he wants to fire Rob- in that same lucid, coked out moment of truth, he reveals that he "should have never let Kenny see him like that" because it makes him vulnerable. So he goes to work, a mess, and goes to fire Rob, but can't do it, because he's crying, and then fires who he really sees as a threat.

Fair points about Kenny, and he's a person who exists in this world, so of course, there are angles with him too. But, he, or at least the show never showed that Kenny had any insecurity about being fired, or Eric firing someone. He was just talking to him, in a way that's more like a friend, and less like a boss. which is a fair point. When I had a boss, I would NEVER joke with him, even if I could, because he was friends with my Dad, I treated him with extreme deference. Like a loyal soldier.

I would not have said anything, until maybe later, or not at all. but while I am genuine, I play angles too. Kenny isn't very savvy. and he takes all that AA shyt too seriously. as we have been shown.

when Eric accuses him of making "a rational decision" he's probably projecting. because that's the reason Eric would do it. It's underscored his entire relationship with Harper.

Last edited:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Something else I don't think I picked up on until the rewatch:
The "weapon" that Yasmin grabbed to go after the photographer was a metal dildo :russ: