Anyone watching "Industry" on HBO?

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I bought a shirt from HBO so I can wear it and try to meet a fan of the show. lol. Hopefully attractive.

Tried to put half a dozen women (and probably a half dozen men too) I know on, and no one has ran with it, as condescending as it sounds, it's probably too sharp for US audiences.

It def. traffics in TV tropes, and well worn moves, montages, but there's something like less spoon feeding an audience in a lot of foreign TV. It reflects British cultural values more than US, and we all have a bias, sometimes we are unaware of.

An American show like this, would likely be so much softer around the edges, and just more broadly played. We like nice and reassuring themes. I read something great once about the overall theme of American conversations, casually is REASSURANCE, once I read that, I saw so much of that in interactions.

IMO the first season wasn't really *great*.
The 2nd season was better...but a few episodes into the first season I wasn't sure I would keep watching the show.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The 2nd season was better...but a few episodes into the first season I wasn't sure I would keep watching the show.

TV is different now, 10 years ago, I would have said if the pilot doesn't sell you, drop it. But, they write and film TV different, for binging. So, there is more of a structure that rewards watching more episodes, because they know you will, because that's what viewers do, is consume content. Before, a bad pilot, and a viewer would never go back.

Right away with Industry, I liked the music, I liked the shots of London, I liked the humor, (Rishi has half dozen one liners that were great) I liked the acting, but the first episode didn't sell me 100%, as in I will love this show, as much as I did. Now, The Sopranos, maybe an unfair comparison, but I watched the pilot, like I have to watch every single episode, because I need to know what happens to the family. Or a less dramatic example 'The Americans', the pilot sold me 100%.

By the end of E2 of Industry, I was in, the raw sexuality, the office dynamics, Yasmin's character (so gorgeous, sophisticated, this is who I go for) the sexual tension/dom/sub stuff building, I was in. In the third episode montage, when 070 Shake started playing, I was hooked. And by the end of e5, I realized I wanted to slow down and really enjoy it, which is the sign of extreme pleasure for me.

Last edited:

Oldschooler

All Star
Daps
I only watched season 1 so far. The characters are great and really do a good job at showing the 'industry'. The over the top sexuality and gay scenes add to it. The script is a roller coaster. As harper and eric are developing a bond they let him go and you don't see him for a few episodes. At the end they bring him back out of nowhere. The senior women at the firm are also confusing in the plot...we don't know whether they're actually trying to change the culture or just trying to back stab everyone and do a hostile takeover. Hopefully Season 2 is less of a rollercoaster.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
TV is different now, 10 years ago, I would have said if the pilot doesn't sell you, drop it. But, they write and film TV different, for binging. So, there is more of a structure that rewards watching more episodes, because they know you will, because that's what viewers do, is consume content. Before, a bad pilot, and a viewer would never go back.

Right away with Industry, I liked the music, I liked the shots of London, I liked the humor, (Rishi has half dozen one liners that were great) I liked the acting, but the first episode didn't sell me 100%, as in I will love this show, as much as I did. Now, The Sopranos, maybe an unfair comparison, but I watched the pilot, like I have to watch every single episode, because I need to know what happens to the family. Or a less dramatic example 'The Americans', the pilot sold me 100%.

By the end of E2 of Industry, I was in, the raw sexuality, the office dynamics, Yasmin's character (so gorgeous, sophisticated, this is who I go for) the sexual tension/dom/sub stuff building, I was in. In the third episode montage, when 070 Shake started playing, I was hooked. And by the end of e5, I realized I wanted to slow down and really enjoy it, which is the sign of extreme pleasure for me.
Not to mention that as a pure business show this is top notch, better than even Succession or Mad Men imo. Those two are better dramas and have better characters, no question, but Industry is more realistic in its depiction of a high pressure work environment, office politics, sociopathic management(Adler), people that crack under pressure, people questioning whether they have what it takes etc,

Succession is also great at this aspect but IMO it's less grounded. I guess the things it depicts are too high level, too out of the ordinary, too dramatic and too grandiose for them to be relatable,

And with Mad Men it's sort of the opposite. The business aspect of the show was very fun and entertaining but after the end of S2 with the PPL merger, I never gave a shyt or felt the stakes were actually high or felt a sense of urgency, not even when the show made an effort to amp things up. It all sort of blended in after a while. Did anyone actually give a shyt about Lucky Strike leaving? The Heinz account? Joan fukking the Jaguar guy? Great character moments, absolutely, but it never felt like a business/corporate show.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I agree

I would even say season one was kinda trash

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Not to mention that as a pure business show this is top notch, better than even Succession or Mad Men imo. Those two are better dramas and have better characters, no question, but Industry is more realistic in its depiction of a high pressure work environment, office politics, sociopathic management(Adler), people that crack under pressure, people questioning whether they have what it takes etc,

Succession is also great at this aspect but IMO it's less grounded. I guess the things it depicts are too high level, too out of the ordinary, too dramatic and too grandiose for them to be relatable,

And with Mad Men it's sort of the opposite. The business aspect of the show was very fun and entertaining but after the end of S2 with the PPL merger, I never gave a shyt or felt the stakes were actually high or felt a sense of urgency, not even when the show made an effort to amp things up. It all sort of blended in after a while. Did anyone actually give a shyt about Lucky Strike leaving? The Heinz account? Joan fukking the Jaguar guy? Great character moments, absolutely, but it never felt like a business/corporate show.

Partially, because as you acknowledge, in Mad Men, 2/3 of the main characters were already wealthy, what did it really matter? Roger, Don, Bert, Here, it's all a bit more delicate and uncertain. Obviously, you have Yazmin, but she's something of an exception. I am sure Succession is great, but I don't even watch for those reasons, it's too much.

The show is also done by former banking grads, who obviously have the knowledge. True story, is one of my boys (older, very affluent, didn't even need the job) from Morgan Stanley, gave me a script for a show EXACTLY (more more satirical, but in concept it was 100%) like this in 2013. It was about the training program at MS. I still have a copy, he had a great idea, but it would have never worked back then, in pitch rooms? I don't know.

The grandiosity was still being preferred, mostly for it's escapism, but I have always been drawn to the more tightly drawn work. I don't see loving S2 and hating S1, all the things that make S2, are present in S1, the music, the acting, the casting, the photography, the script.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
Partially, because as you acknowledge, in Mad Men, 2/3 of the main characters were already wealthy, what did it really matter? Roger, Don, Bert, Here, it's all a bit more delicate and uncertain. Obviously, you have Yazmin, but she's something of an exception. I am sure Succession is great, but I don't even watch for those reasons, it's too much.

The show is also done by former banking grads, who obviously have the knowledge. True story, is one of my boys (older, very affluent, didn't even need the job) from Morgan Stanley, gave me a script for a show EXACTLY (more more satirical, but in concept it was 100%) like this in 2013. It was about the training program at MS. I still have a copy, he had a great idea, but it would have never worked back then, in pitch rooms? I don't know.

The grandiosity was still being preferred, mostly for it's escapism, but I have always been drawn to the more tightly drawn work. I don't see loving S2 and hating S1, all the things that make S2, are present in S1, the music, the acting, the casting, the photography, the script.
You probably saw Margin Call but if you haven't, check it out, it's amazing.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
This dude Robert order a bottle of champagne, spilled half of it on himself.

Then free based coke in an Oxford plaza like it was '84.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
This dude Robert order a bottle of champagne, spilled half of it on himself.

Then free based coke in an Oxford plaza like it was '84.
We've all got father issues.

On A related subject, I've been drinking since 3:00 so forgive me.