Anyone seriously want to learn Japanese?

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
I've been using this app called HelloTalk to learn Japanese.
It's a pretty cool app.

You can talk to folks from Japan and leave audio messages so they tell you if you are pronouncing words right.

I've met quite a few Japanese people in person using this app, worth the usage.

ITalki is my main resource for learning, speaking with natives for an hour at their set price. Well worth it to me.

I gotta buckle down and learn this kanji still.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Not something I'd use enough in regular life to justify it. Used to know Spanish and never used it after school so I forgot it.

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
I've met quite a few Japanese people in person using this app, worth the usage.

ITalki is my main resource for learning, speaking with natives for an hour at their set price. Well worth it to me.

I gotta buckle down and learn this kanji still.
How long have you been learning and can you speak it?

I'm having trouble with pronouncing words.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
How long have you been learning and can you speak it?

I'm having trouble with pronouncing words.

It's hard for me to say how much I can speak. I can hold conversations, talk about parties I've been to, how I'm feeling, describe places, so I have a decent level.

I started officially last year April I think. I take breaks from learning quite often and get back into but I need to cut that out. Some of my teachers said I am N-5/N-4 level and that I should apply myself to get further.

:jbhmm:

I can give better advice than apply it to myself, but listen to radio garden, youtube streams NHK news 24/7, and as you are doing speak with natives.

A method I'm using lately is reading articles the whole way through. Going through it line by line and translating it. Then once finished asking questions and answering in full sentences.

I've found that once you know katakana and hiragana the pronunciation isn't far from what you're reading unless it requires different stresses.

There are a lot of good things on youtube like comprehension tests to help your ear.

Watching a Japanese drama or show with subs helps too.

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
It's hard for me to say how much I can speak. I can hold conversations, talk about parties I've been to, how I'm feeling, describe places, so I have a decent level.

I started officially last year April I think. I take breaks from learning quite often and get back into but I need to cut that out. Some of my teachers said I am N-5/N-4 level and that I should apply myself to get further.

I can give better advice than apply it to myself, but listen to radio garden, youtube streams NHK news 24/7, and as you are doing speak with natives.

A method I'm using lately is reading articles the whole way through. Going through it line by line and translating it. Then once finished asking questions and answering in full sentences.

I've found that once you know katakana and hiragana the pronunciation isn't far from what you're reading unless it requires different stresses.

There are a lot of good things on youtube like comprehension tests to help your ear.

Are teachers you have from the lTalki app?

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Are teachers you have from the lTalki app?

Yeah. I started with a local teacher doing in person lessons and when she moved back to Japan I continued with her.

One day I found Italki on reddit I think, at that time they had trials for most teachers at half of their cost.

For you, if you start with the app, book 30 minute lessons after reading through their profile. That hour will drag if you don't have chemistry with them and they aren't as open or expect you to carry the lesson.

I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for there. Using that trial method I have a good 8 teachers to book if my three regulars aren't free.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm still learning. My reading is ahead of my listening though. I was playing Persona 5 Royal yesterday and aside from a few words here and there I could understand most of what they were talking about.
My kanji recognition is pretty high as I learned 2096 Kanji but it's been so long since I reviewed and I didn't write as much that I forgot. I haven't gotten my speaking ability down pat yet. If I had to write or say something I gotta think but when i see it written down already I understand it quickly. I just gotta spend more time immersing. I should've BEEN got fluent but I just been slackin through the years not putting the time in. I know dudes that started a little bit after me that can now comfortably speak, write and read Japanese and here I am years later still barely functioning.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Have you heard of the AJATT/MIA method? That is the one method that I honestly have seen a lot of people actually get fluent in. I think it's because they all revolve around being immersed in Japanese a lot and learning more words through Anki and sentence mining via various methods(subs2srs, mining sentences etc.)

I'm like N1 level as I can pick up a book or something and read and I don't translate. I use the japanese to japanese dictionary to learn new words.

Like for example I learned a word yesterday while gaming:
たん き [1]【短気】
( 名 ・形動 ) [文] ナリ
気が短いこと。辛抱ができずに、すぐに怒ったり飽きたりすること。また、そのさま。気みじか。 「 -を起こす」 「 -な人」 「『其様(そん)な事を私が知るもんかね』と-に云ふ/はやり唄 天外

That would be how I learn and the word 短気 would be added to my japanese deck in Anki with the sentence I learned it from.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Have you heard of the AJATT/MIA method? That is the one method that I honestly have seen a lot of people actually get fluent in. I think it's because they all revolve around being immersed in Japanese a lot and learning more words through Anki and sentence mining via various methods(subs2srs, mining sentences etc.)

I'm like N1 level as I can pick up a book or something and read and I don't translate. I use the japanese to japanese dictionary to learn new words.

Like for example I learned a word yesterday while gaming:
たん き [1]【短気】
( 名 ・形動 ) [文] ナリ
気が短いこと。辛抱ができずに、すぐに怒ったり飽きたりすること。また、そのさま。気みじか。 「 -を起こす」 「 -な人」 「『其様(そん)な事を私が知るもんかね』と-に云ふ/はやり唄 天外

That would be how I learn and the word 短気 would be added to my japanese deck in Anki with the sentence I learned it from.

Yeah I heard of AJATT, I have an obsession of learning everything by writing it down to learn for callbacks. It didn't help that when I used Anki, some of the sentences in those core decks were incorrect.

I didn't know about creating your own decks in that app, at that time I could barely figure out how to operate it. Giving the site another read on the methodology of immersion shall change my philosophy on learning.

Thanks breh.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
I'm still learning. My reading is ahead of my listening though. I was playing Persona 5 Royal yesterday and aside from a few words here and there I could understand most of what they were talking about.
My kanji recognition is pretty high as I learned 2096 Kanji but it's been so long since I reviewed and I didn't write as much that I forgot. I haven't gotten my speaking ability down pat yet. If I had to write or say something I gotta think but when i see it written down already I understand it quickly. I just gotta spend more time immersing. I should've BEEN got fluent but I just been slackin through the years not putting the time in. I know dudes that started a little bit after me that can now comfortably speak, write and read Japanese and here I am years later still barely functioning.

Hmm, this is what I'm worried about with the AJATT method, if it's not supplemented with speaking more often due to constant book diving, there are parts that will end up lacking.

However, it is a fast forward button on your learning that only needs to be supplemented with additional review and speaking the language.

Did you use RTK?

How often are you speaking the language a week?

Just realized I could've typed this up in hiragana.
:ehh:

Use it or lose it
:patrice:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hmm, this is what I'm worried about with the AJATT method, if it's not supplemented with speaking more often due to constant book diving, there are parts that will end up lacking.

However, it is a fast forward button on your learning that only needs to be supplemented with additional review and speaking the language.

Did you use RTK?

Just realized I could've typed this up in hiragana.
:ehh:

Use it or lose it
:patrice:
On the contrary, the listening/immersion is what is advocated the most so that you naturally start speaking based off of what you hear and build upon sub-consciously. The more input you get, the output comes naturally. If you put more emphasis on reading then you can improve since reading is linear and you can pause/look up and understand at your own pace but you may end up hurting your pronunciation since you'll be unfamiliar with how words sound yet can read it.

I know way more words yet sometimes I don't catch it in raw audio due to me knowing the word through the written text.

If you heard Matt or Khatz speak you'd realize they sound very natural.

Matt above learned Japanese through Ajatt but he's modified/changed up the method and offshooted a similar method called MIA(Mass Immersion Approach).

Did you use RTK?
Yeah I used RTK1. I used the traditional method and then lazy kanji.

I don't speak yet.

Matt being so good makes his info valuable since he's proof it works.
MIA Japanese Quickstart Guide – MIA

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
On the contrary, the listening/immersion is what is advocated the most so that you naturally start speaking based off of what you hear and build upon sub-consciously. The more input you get, the output comes naturally. If you put more emphasis on reading then you can improve since reading is linear and you can pause/look up and understand at your own pace but you may end up hurting your pronunciation since you'll be unfamiliar with how words sound yet can read it.

I know way more words yet sometimes I don't catch it in raw audio due to me knowing the word through the written text.

If you heard Matt or Khatz speak you'd realize they sound very natural.

Matt above learned Japanese through Ajatt but he's modified/changed up the method and offshooted a similar method called MIA(Mass Immersion Approach).

Yeah I used RTK1. I used the traditional method and then lazy kanji.

I don't speak yet.

Matt being so good makes his info valuable since he's proof it works.
MIA Japanese Quickstart Guide – MIA

Wow, he really cleaned up the method in a way that it is not cluttered like on the AJATT site. I did enjoy the way KATZ wrote in an anecdotal way connecting one topic to another in his life or an old adage.

This all seems to be intuitive and the bridge to advancing that I needed to cross. Great drop, I've been listening to Japanese music all morning, doing a kanji review now.

Did you buy RTK1? I've got so many learning books waiting for their pages to be bent from my learning hands I could add another. Really though, some books are beyond my level, I even have Animal Farm and some other novels from my trip out there.

May I ask what you are using the language for? I'm kinda confused on why you don't speak it. I hope this comes off as more curiosity than attacking you. In a way, I understand, I visit a Japanese restaurant almost every weekend and never speak Japanese in there, I'm shy.

:russ:

:stopitslime:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Wow, he really cleaned up the method in a way that it is not cluttered like on the AJATT site. I did enjoy the way KATZ wrote in an anecdotal way connecting one topic to another in his life or an old adage.
Khatz site was really cluttered and it seems like it was a blog turned website. Matt's site no matter how much he tries to change it is fundamentally the same at it's core. There are differences of course and he owe his success to AJATT, he tries to make it seem like MIA is this completely new method from the ground up.

Did you buy RTK1? I've got so many learning books waiting for their pages to be bent from my learning hands I could add another. Really though, some books are beyond my level, I even have Animal Farm and some other novels from my trip out there.
Yeah that's what I used from the start. I learned all the kanji in there using Anki and did it the tradtional way but Matt advocates doing it the way Khatz said which is Lazy Kanji(He calls it recognition kanji now :childplease:)
Character on the front, meaning on the back.

May I ask what you are using the language for? I'm kinda confused on why you don't speak it. I hope this comes off as more curiosity than attacking you. In a way, I understand, I visit a Japanese restaurant almost every weekend and never speak Japanese in there, I'm shy.
I initially wanted to learn Japanese randomly after playing Persona 4 and liking it so much and then just wanting to know a third language(speak English and Kreyol). I saw the success and the attainable goal(18 months you can get fluent) so I went ahead. I admittedly got some progress but I didn't put the immersion time/reading as much as some others did so that's why I'm not speaking yet because I'm not at that level yet. I pretty much was goin gdays without barely listening or doing anything and some point didn't do my reps for like two weeks after a vacation.

Ajatt has a patreon and I just checked and he finally updated it after like a year. Khatz is just interested in making money now understandably.

I know a few people besides Matt that got fluent.

Last edited: