Anyone here trying Quibi

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Meh. Everyone can be an armchair QB when something fails. They swung, they missed, it happens :yeshrug:

I’m sure if Tik Tok was a failure people would be saying “lol make an app for short videos after Vine died and Instagram took over that market brehs :mjlol:
Pretty much. I think their biggest mistake was mobile only which makes zero sense when most people still prefer to watch things on TV if they can. Smartphone watching is something you do while traveling to/from work or school, not how you spent your evening in your living room. And that's still when most people watch series and shows. Not having an app for your TV or desktop severely limited usage and thus potential of the app.

Another problem they had is introducing an entirely new platform with original untested content in a marketplace that everybody knew was about to be overrun with streaming apps from big name companies with tons of established in-house content.

When Netflix launched they had the advantage of being the only player in a new market so they could build their brand's service through licensing of shows and films before expanding into original content. And because they were so clearly growing and dominating the market Netflix could afford racking up tons of debt since their business model was so strong.

Quibi tried to force itself directly into the marketplace top spots with big money but without any customer base or brand recognition/loyalty. They figured all the A-list names would help their brand loyalty but it doesn't work like that. They might have a Spielberg project or whatever but if Quibi fails the people know they will just get some new Spielberg from something else. They don't need Quibi for it.

Anyway, someone is definitely going to come along and refine this concept into an app that succeeds. Put the app on smart tv's and desktops as well, focus efforts on young content creators (eg. upcoming talents, new visions, etc.) whose projects you can get for cheap. Promote the platform as a lookout for TV's newest creative talents and give these creators a title linked to your platform (like how everyone associates the word "influencer" with Instagram and now to a lesser extent TikTok). Broaden the scope but focus the niche and keep running costs low until you have properly assessed your position in the marketplace.

You might net end up being Netflix or Prime but you might just become like Hulu. Most people won't give a shyt you exist but you still hold a solid spot in the market.

Last edited:

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Pretty much. I think their biggest mistake was mobile only which makes zero sense when most people still prefer to watch things on TV if they can. Smartphone watching is something you do while traveling to/from work or school, not how you spent your evening in your living room. And that's still when most people watch series and shows. Not having an app for your TV or desktop severely limited usage and thus potential of the app.

Another problem they had is introducing an entirely new platform with original untested content in a marketplace that everybody knew was about to be overrun with streaming apps from big name companies with tons of established in-house content.

When Netflix launched they had the advantage of being the only player in a new market so they could build their brand's service through licensing of shows and films before expanding into original content. And because they were so clearly growing and dominating the market Netflix could afford racking up tons of debt since their business model was so strong.

Quibi tried to force itself directly into the marketplace top spots with big money but without any customer base or brand recognition/loyalty. They figured all the A-list names would help their brand loyalty but it doesn't work like that. They might have a Spielberg project or whatever but if Quibi fails the people know they will just get some new Spielberg from something else. They don't need Quibi for it.

Anyway, someone is definitely going to come along and refine this concept into an app that succeeds. Put the app on smart tv's and desktops as well, focus efforts on young content creators (eg. upcoming talents, new visions, etc.) whose projects you can get for cheap. Promote the platform as a lookout for TV's newest creative talents and give these creators a title linked to your platform (like how everyone associates the word "influencer" with Instagram and now to a lesser extent TikTok). Broaden the scope but focus the niche and keep running costs low until you have properly assessed your position in the marketplace.

You might net end up being Netflix or Prime but you might just become like Hulu. Most people won't give a shyt you exist but you still hold a solid spot in the market.
I could see Disney plus adding a quick bite feature into the app for their mickey mouse shorts and other content
netflix could do it with behind the scenes stuff
we're not making fun of the idea but the execution. it was bad from the start

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
by making it for mobile phones only and making the content 10 mins long
i never tried it, but all the shows i saw advertised on it seemed geared toward the 30+ club who isn't about watching clips on their phone like that. if they would've done a bunch of kids and young adult shyt, it might have worked. the 25 and under club is glued to mobile and arents are always about more shyt to babysit their kids so they don't actually have to parent.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
People have wondered why Katzenberg and Whitman, in their late and early 60s, respectively, and not very active on social media, would believe they have uniquely penetrating insight into the unacknowledged desires of young people. When I ask Whitman what TV shows she watches, she responds, “I’m not sure I’d classify myself as an entertainment enthusiast.” But any particular shows she likes? “Grant,” she offered. “On the History Channel. It’s about President Grant.”

Katzenberg is on his phone all the time, but he is also among the moguls of his generation who have their emails printed out (and vertically folded, for some reason) by an assistant. In enthusing about what a show could mean for Quibi, Katzenberg would repeatedly invoke the same handful of musty touchstones — America’s Funniest Home Videos, Siskel and Ebert, and Jane Fonda’s exercise tapes. When Gal Gadot came to the offices and delivered an impassioned speech about wanting to elevate the voices of girls and women, Katzenberg wondered aloud whether she might become the new Jane Fonda and do a workout series for Quibi. (“Apparently, her face fell,” says a person briefed on the meeting.)

:dwillhuh::mjlol:

Daps
This tells you just how desperate the streaming companies are getting to stay relevant. I do not know how much they paid but all of these streaming services can't continue to exist. At some point there will be more shakeout. I just checked and Roku has a market cap of over $50 billion.
Does anyone here want to start and fail to establish a streaming service entirely on borrowed money so that we can get bought out by some bigger company for $$?
Just asking for a friend.
:russ:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This tells you just how desperate the streaming companies are getting to stay relevant. I do not know how much they paid but all of these streaming services can't continue to exist. At some point there will be more shakeout. I just checked and Roku has a market cap of over $50 billion.
Does anyone here want to start and fail to establish a streaming service entirely on borrowed money so that we can get bought out by some bigger company for $$?
Just asking for a friend.
:russ:
Roku will be around. Them and Amazon own the market.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Peeped some of that ‘50 Stages of Fright’ series and I mess with it. Reminds me of a mini Goosebumps for adults, or and updated Tales From The Crypt

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
To be fair they must had been aware that thay company wasn't gonna last long...
It was pretty much the pandemic that killed Quibi off. The whole basis of the app was to watch mini movies and such on the go, but everybody was instantly at home after restrictions and lockdowns and it made Quibi yesterday’s news.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
It was pretty much the pandemic that killed Quibi off. The whole basis of the app was to watch mini movies and such on the go, but everybody was instantly at home after restrictions and lockdowns and it made Quibi yesterday’s news.
Nah, it was never going to work, it was a shyt idea from the beginning.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Nah, it was never going to work, it was a shyt idea from the beginning.
Oh it most def was a shyt idea, but the pandemic directly led to it going under as fast as it did. It had no shot after that