Anyone here trying Quibi

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I guess selling the rights to the shows could net them some money back

They don't own the rights to a lot of the shows.

I can't remember who I was listening to, but they sold a show or multiple shows to Quibi, and part of the structure that was making it so appealing to all these A-listers and big production companies was that Quibi wasn't getting ownership of the shows. I think after a very short amount of time (maybe a couple of years at most) you'd get the rights to your show back completely.

My guess is, if that's how the original deals were structured, now that the service is going totally out of business, the rights are going to revert back to the producers and creators.

This is a colossal fukk up

VY2wmdR.png

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Yeah, just did a quick search and found this pre-launch article on Variety: Quibi Won't Compete With Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus: CEO Meg Whitman - Variety

"Creators and studios own the intellectual property, and they reclaim rights to the content after it’s licensed to Quibi for seven years. After two years, Quibi’s creator partners have the rights to “reassemble” the episodes into a single movie for distribution in another window."

Basically, even if Quibi was up and running, after 2 years you could take those 10 minute episodes you made for Quibi, put them back together as longer episodes or movies and sell them to someone else.

I said this in May

Based on the content they were announcing over the past 2 years and the people behind that content, this felt like it was gonna bomb and everyone was just grabbing some quick easy money from a sucker.

Can’t say I’m surprised at all.

I was just guessing, but it seems like I was right

:ld:

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
The Watch podcast talked about Quibi getting bamboozled by these agents of the A-list talent in Hollywood.
Quibi was so desperate they were paying top dollar for c and d ideas from talent that had been on the shelf for years. For example “Die Hart” was not one of Kevin Hart’s top ideas that he was trying to sell in HW but Quibi was handing out all this money they sold it for top dollar.

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
I have 6 months free membership from T-Mobile for this and I have yet to use it. If I could mirror it to my Fire TV, I’d probably use it. I have no desire to watch a 6 minute show on my phone :yeshrug:

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
by making it for mobile phones only and making the content 10 mins long

I have 6 months free membership from T-Mobile for this and I have yet to use it. If I could mirror it to my Fire TV, I’d probably use it. I have no desire to watch a 6 minute show on my phone :yeshrug:

I said this last year when I first heard about it. There ain’t enough people who wants to only be able to watch shows on their phone. A 9 minute episode is not going to get me invested in a show. Then they have a nerve to be charging for it. Netflix and Hulu already has mobile apps why would I need another?

this was a stupid idea from the jump with no possible way it could have worked. I’m glad this dumb shyt failed.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
They don't own the rights to a lot of the shows.

I can't remember who I was listening to, but they sold a show or multiple shows to Quibi, and part of the structure that was making it so appealing to all these A-listers and big production companies was that Quibi wasn't getting ownership of the shows. I think after a very short amount of time (maybe a couple of years at most) you'd get the rights to your show back completely.

My guess is, if that's how the original deals were structured, now that the service is going totally out of business, the rights are going to revert back to the producers and creators.

This is a colossal fukk up

VY2wmdR.png
You right. A breh i know had a show that was supposed to be on there. He got the word today that it was a wrap. His shyt is already being shopped to other places.