Anybody here like to ride bikes?

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Good stuff, man. Is there something about your current frame that you specifically dont care for? If not, you may simply be better off upgrading its components instead.
My hybrid frame is a wayy more relaxed ride, but I want to be able to get lower and also just feel like less of a tourist/newcomer when I'm out biking in a group (short of wearing actual biking clothes because that aint my style).

Aesthetically, imo every road bike is more sleek and attractive than any hybrid I've noticed. Tbh too tho, setting a reward for 2,500 miles incentivizes me to just get out and bike every week as well.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
My hybrid frame is a wayy more relaxed ride, but I want to be able to get lower and also just feel like less of a tourist/newcomer when I'm out biking in a group (short of wearing actual biking clothes because that aint my style).

Aesthetically, imo every road bike is more sleek and attractive than any hybrid I've noticed. Tbh too tho, setting a reward for 2,500 miles incentivizes me to just get out and bike every week as well.

Nice. My first frame was a hybrid as well, so I know exactly where you're coming from. I think my second frame was a Windsor Hour which is basically the single speed version of the Wellington iirc.

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
I saw one in Chicago doing a Juneteenth event and I'm thinking about signing up but I love riding alone too much :russ:

That's Major Taylor Cycling Club. I know someone that's a member. She was trying to get me to join but my time is allocated to other rec sports.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Rode for 40 miles today. New record for me. It was all running errands like grocery shopping, dropping off donations and shopping. For the last 13 miles, I had bought a 35 lb kettlebell and had it on my back in my bag. Barely made it home :mjlol:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
1eYsQVh.png

My new goal is 250 miles per month. Gonna be tougher as the sun sets earlier in the day and I have to stick to bike paths more.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Got chased by my first pitbull today. :mjlol:Swerved into the wrong side of the street but luckily no cars were coming. Damn dog was keeping up w/ me for a quarter of a block or so too. I kept waiting to feel pain from the dog biting my leg as I pedaled but it just barked until I managed to pull away.

In other news, I finally hit the distance goal I set for the year. Crazy how last January I was struggling with 7.5 mile rides :flabbynsick:
CohQo6k.png

nedTUwbuE4ZSrP2-yWKxFdSmPfT6dEm-EelAbw1YH5AMCPEX-VAOX5lxLhO1EoMh3Vz5zutD5aHIbI4dxJ0TpGRTKg32uN55RqI-xvh2DX4pI9Fv6K4PHb9SPydxSopinZCK-WZlgb5pXM_u6DSvFzkovyVT26Iyv9qpOpkRIMfK_80rP1FE_7DWzWrw3s7I2xtJRC5wzsPlp7mPo6Dkgwy1J9rOvmh4--Sg7DuZvmlTyMoDIYW2GaVc-xyd-eU7Ne1nAnxZj9K33UMrA89cO-_DQbFZ9acosIgPUCBPyOCQf8t3omvBY6gABcQucQzFdPNeSZcGt_YQAnBDtGNU_xhC3GL9q99xCzBPc2w13uCnyxsmVohAN7QfPOBSnqtJlbzy03KqZogBh1JuI4uhpBbuG2eegtfvJrq-einJk-j6Mp1cUre4acGgO2yI2vElYAP3UH-jyICNxZTw3sDbpdnZeWWoyFR4mXh3foGxumRlMBpBNVOQLLu1FUNQL8GraXK_AwNHP3FF7q6BNQQYwCkg-6o4cxn0PJ6Il8pzSOuPH872y1VLiscMnS_PL-9EbhqCTdeCu1Px0aE1uxx1uqgm1oQbxZqDszEbqftTGksmb0J39geHpzbnOS3NYY3Y0_zoTThswWfhmmJjCVkjPM3546iXXAuXzfKcbgs-9XwWeLVq0BJrUOteCVGpOz4CzMpt_roU0BKs3IdeYdI8zDV3wQ=w459-h993-no

For my next bike, I want to move away from the hybrid to a road bike. Right now, my hybrid maxes out at like 23 mph. I'm not trying to race but I wouldn't mind going a little faster lol.

I can splurge if I have to, but after making do with a $300 bike I'm not sure it's worth it. I narrowed it down to a few bikes if yall wanna weigh in (especially @Stir Fry since you helped me pick my last bike and @Dorian Gray since you mentioned rocking vintages earlier in the thread):
Right now, I'm leaning heavily towards the Raleigh since I can get it quicker and it's easier on the environment than a new bike, but not sure if I'm overlooking anything?

Last edited:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Narrowed it down to a few bikes if yall wanna weigh in

Post them up.

You don't need an expensive bike, it doesn't really net you anything but bragging rights and a lighter wallet tbh. I would say that spending some bread on getting a professional fit performed is well worth the money though. Get some clip-in shoes and pedals too if you don't have some already.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Post them up.

You don't need an expensive bike, it doesn't really net you anything but bragging rights and a lighter wallet tbh. I would say that spending some bread on getting a professional fit performed is well worth the money though. Get some clip-in shoes and pedals too if you don't have some already.
Lol I was planning on @ing you and hit 'Post reply' too soon. Just updated it

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Right now, I'm leaning heavily towards the Raleigh since I can get it quicker and it's easier on the environment than a new bike, but not sure if I'm overlooking anything?

That Raleigh is :takedat:

Those other two options don't hold a candle to that 531 double butted steel frame. The lugs are icing on the cake. No contest.

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
That Raleigh is :takedat:

Can't beat a nicely lugged, 531 steel tubed, vintage frame. No contest.
Say less. Just copped it.

I used to bike back and forth to work and run daily. I can no longer run anymore after getting shot, but I'm biking 5-6 times a week these days.
Streets, bike paths or bike lanes? In the summer, I stuck to the lakefront and turned around @ 79th where the bike path ends. In the winter, I got bored and eventually realized there's a designated bike lane all the way to 91st and some wide roads all the way to 118th St. Damn near in Indiana at that point :whoo: