Any Pi-hole users here?

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
I made a thread on it years ago with all info needed. Been telling people it's the truth.
link it here so i dont have to type all that shyt up please

drop some purchase info/tutorials @boogerwolf . I think I'll tackle this as my next home project
its pretty straightforward

i own this model (version 3b+v2) Buy a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ – Raspberry Pi but i'd spring for the Pi 4 :ahh:

after that you just need a microSD card (32GB was enough for me) and those are around $12.. usually come with a full size SD adapter you can stick in a laptop (you can get USB ones cheap online as well). the raspberrypi people make the best OS for it IMO. raspberryPi OS. just download the program and point it at your sdcard path.

this tutorial will get you set up right.. you dont have to use Docker. its pretty automated and takes about 10 minutes to set up.

i also installed RetroArch on it and have been gettin my ass beat in Zombies Ate My Neighbors for SNES all afternoon

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
link it here so i dont have to type all that shyt up please

its pretty straightforward

i own this model (version 3b+v2) Buy a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ – Raspberry Pi but i'd spring for the Pi 4 :ahh:

after that you just need a microSD card (32GB was enough for me) and those are around $12.. usually come with a full size SD adapter you can stick in a laptop (you can get USB ones cheap online as well). the raspberrypi people make the best OS for it IMO. raspberryPi OS. just download the program and point it at your sdcard path.

this tutorial will get you set up right.. you dont have to use Docker. its pretty automated and takes about 10 minutes to set up.

i also installed RetroArch on it and have been gettin my ass beat in Zombies Ate My Neighbors for SNES all afternoon

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
my next project is gonna be setting up remotes for this thing...

overview.jpg

only thing i dont like about my Pis is having to use a wireless keyboard

i dont have kids, but these things would be GREAT for getting kids into engineering and programming

Sypress

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've been meaning to do this 👍🏼

I've read from several places it works well for certain services like example Peacock

you could get the $5 membership and pi-hole would take care of the rest

Young

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Been running 2 of these (one virtual, one on a Pi) for a few years... Once you get the initial config up it's pretty low maintenance.

Grab a few block lists from here: The Big Blocklist Collection

Any sites or apps that don't work, you can whitelist the URLs in the settings. I also have a hotlink set up in my bookmarks to disable blocking for 5 minutes since you will run into some poorly built sites that break.

One thing to watch out for is that both Android and Apple phones sometimes have their DNS servers hardcoded to bypass your local DNS settings so they can get their tracking and ads in.. :stopitslime: To get around this you need to set up firewall rules to only allow DNS traffic to your PiHole but that requires some work on your router.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
Yes, in the past. Haven't spun the container back up since moving last year because I've been slowly building out new network and virtual infrastructure at the new house.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore