Any Pi-hole users here?

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
I finally got around to making one tonight. its pretty straightforward, about 4 commands, change your dns to the pi's ip

i installed some "fresh" browsers with no addons or anything and ive just been browsing for an hour... ive seen 2 ads...

so quiet its almost spooky

giphy.webp

tested on 3 computers and my girls iphone.. my android wont let me change my DNS for some reason but i got ublock origin anyways :yeshrug:

i know im late but its still :ahh:

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
shyt is dope I dont see shyt and my connection works much faster due to all them dns queries being blocked, yo cellphones are crazy intrusive they put out 10x more queries than PC's. I get like 4000 queries from my phones and like 400 from each of my pc's smart tv's too always phoning home. I get like 2000 queries from them shyts.

I finally got around to making one tonight. its pretty straightforward, about 4 commands, change your dns to the pi's ip

i installed some "fresh" browsers with no addons or anything and ive just been browsing for an hour... ive seen 2 ads...

so quiet its almost spooky

giphy.webp

tested on 3 computers and my girls iphone.. my android wont let me change my DNS for some reason but i got ublock origin anyways :yeshrug:

i know im late but its still :ahh:
you should be able to change your DNS settings on your droid. Look up a tutorial on your device plus android version.

Also depending on which router you are using for your service you could log in into it and change the DNS to the pi-hole one and that way anything thats connected to it gets protected too. Again it depends on your router some don't let you do it.

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
I have one running on my synology nas as a docker container. I used it on my server 19 setup via hyperv before. I love it

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Your Pi-Hole getting a lot of use? :dame:

I like AdBlock. For the not-so-technical, AdGuard DNS works fine at a local network level. Just have your router point there for DNS, or you can have it per device where applicable.

For the nerds, some steps further you can set up AdGuard Home on OpenWRT routers with more filtering, but this can help in needing only one device instead of two.

For me, a Pi-Hole setup didn't make too much sense when I just wanted adblocking. I use Simple Adblock with my ARM router on top of CloudFlare DNS and it does the job. This setup is a bit more than the DNS only option, but less than ADH.

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
Tutorial for all interested.i have used it on a hyper v and currently a synology nas Docker container. Easy to setup!