Andre 3000 Thinks He’s Gotten Too Old To Rap

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
I got love for 3000 and def think he's skilled but this attitude pisses me off. He's got his money, respect, achievements and he's fulfilled professionally. Why not gracefully bow out instead of making it seem like there are extenuating circumstances forcing you out? I feel like it's an older artist forfeiting the culture with that boxing analogy at the end. Like naw nikka, that's just you, don't push that as the attitude on your other peers the same age.

Andre 3000 Thinks He’s Gotten Too Old To Rap.
He’s Wrong.

However, at age 42, Andre 3000 speaks candidly about age, creativity, and Hip-Hop. While JAY-Z’s 4:44 is the most talked about Rap album this summer, released by a 47-year-old who made his professional debut years before ‘Dre, 3000 seemingly puts a cap on his timeline. He considers Rap a “hobby” and admits that he does not relate to peers (and collaborators) such as Jay, Ice Cube, Bun B, Too Short, or Scarface, let alone his partner Big Boi (who dropped an LP in June).

Andre 3000’s New “Decemba” Verse Is Cold. How Cold? ICE COLD (Audio)

“I kind of like not being a part of [Rap music], now that I’ve done it,” 3000 tells Complex‘s Alex Gale. He continues “As I get older, I start to see myself move more back from it—the hustle and bustle of putting out an album, the pressure of being in the studio trying to come up with something. Now it’s more like a hobby for me, so I don’t think about it in that way. Even with Outkast, if we never do another album, I’m totally fine with that. When I was 25, I said I don’t want to be a 30-year-old rapper. I’m 42 now, and I feel more and more that way. Do I really want to be 50 years old up there doing that?”

“Rapping is like being a boxer,” André equates. “No matter how great you are or were at a certain time, the older you get, the slower you get—I don’t care who you are. And I can feel that coming on. There’s always a new wave of artists, and sometimes I’m just like, ‘I’m good. I’ll let the young guys do it.’” Moments later, he says, “I don’t get much happiness from doing music like that—I get happiness from pleasing who I’m working with, and helping them, and seeing them be excited.”

Andre 3000 Thinks He’s Gotten Too Old To Rap. He’s Wrong.

Last edited:

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
He's right, you don't wanna be that old legend out there tarnishing your legacy with forced albums that clog a great discography. Would have been nice to get 1 solo album from him way back when, but I can't hate on his opinion. If the passion ain't there, why create.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
yeah i recall him sasying this before

I respect it, some dont wanna rap in late 30s early 40s

And I totally understand that but the boxing analogy of the older you get the slower you get, I don't like that. You're not boxing you're rapping and best believe one is much less physically intensive and harmful than the other. To say you are too old to compete is low key shytting on rappers his age or older. If he was applying this to just him then cool but the "I don't care who you are" part, ok, now you are saying this applies to everybody.

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
people need to stop interviewing this nikka about rapping, we get it. that said, dre been the type of artist who has the breadth of content to competently rap until he's 60, not like he was some ignorant d-boy rapper with limited subject matter
Fact is if he ever put out an Album all that hype shyt is lost. He has more to lose than gain. Similar to Jay Elec. if people can't see that their idiots:mjlol: