Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The Economist
20200822_USP005_0.jpg

Our kind of people
America’s black upper class and Black Lives Matter

The United States is also home to the biggest group of highly successful black folk in the world

United StatesAug 22nd 2020 edition
Aug 22nd 2020
CHICAGO

LAWRENCE OTIS GRAHAM recalls where he first met Kamala Harris, last summer, in Martha’s Vineyard. It was at the holiday home of Spike Lee, a film director, who held a $1,500-a-head fundraiser for the woman who is now number two on the Democratic ticket. “She is the new Barack Obama for us,” says the thrilled Mr Graham, an author and property lawyer from New York. By “us” Mr Graham means African-Americans, and in particular the glitziest end of African-American high society.

And LOG is such a clout chaser.:why:
Knew it was just a matter of time before he came out proclaiming Kamala as one of his own.

Feel awkward for posting it, but I think enough time has passed.

Rest in Peace

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Yep, that’s the guy that acquired the estate. Previously, it was owned by Harold Doley, who was founder of the oldest African American investment bank and was the first and only African American to buy a seat on the New York Stock Exchange. He graduated from Xavier University of Louisiana and Harvard.

madam-walkers-villa-irvington-usa-shutterstock-editorial-6498272b.jpg

Doley was also Ambassador to South Africa and has done a lot to assist in various African economic and infrastructure projects.

images

Still doing that.

Story is from Sept 2021

logo_dark.png

harold-1.png

Ambassador Harold Doley, Jr.
President

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
These two families

6BcUxY9.jpg

Norris Wright Cuney, or simply Wright Cuney, (May 12, 1846 – March 3, 1898)

was an American politician, businessman, union leader, and advocate for the rights of African-Americans in Texas. Following the American Civil War, he became active in Galveston politics, serving as an alderman and a national Republican delegate. He was appointed as United States Collector of Customs in 1889 in Galveston. Cuney had the highest-ranking appointed position of any African American in the late 19th-century South.[1] He was a member of the Union League and helped attract black voters to the Republican Party; in the 1890s, more than 100,000 blacks were voting in Texas.

Establishing his own business of stevedores, he helped to unionize black workers in Galveston, opening jobs for them on the docks. He substantially improved employment and educational opportunities for blacks in the city. He eventually rose to the chairmanship of the Texas Republican Party and became a national committeeman.

Cuney is regarded by many as the most important black leader in Texas in the 19th century and one of the most important in the United States.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
and

D5EW8X7.jpg

Jane Rose Waring Roberts (née Waring; c. 1819 – January 10, 1914)

was an early African-American colonist of the Colony of Liberia as well as a member of the Americo-Liberian community. As the wife of President Joseph Jenkins Roberts, she was the first First Lady of the Republic of Liberia from 1848 to 1856 and again from 1872 to 1876.

Early life

Jane Rose Waring was born free in the American state of Virginia around 1819.[1] On February 13, 1824, the Cyrus arrived in Liberia, carrying the Waring family, including a four-year old Jane.[2] The Waring family was prominent in Virginia's sizeable free black community.[3] Her father, Colston Waring, was a reverend and a successful businessman. Colston sold his notable holdings in the United States and established a profitable commercial firm in Liberia.[4] Colston served as vice colonial agent of the Liberia and died in 1838. Jane was educated in Liberia. She learned to read and write, and speak fluent French.[1] Jane dedicated her life to Christian charities and the promotion of women's education.[5]

..were connected??

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
never heard of them. :whoo:

I knew of the Waring lady being the first lady of Liberia but I didn't know anything about her family/clan that stayed in the USA. Some more from that clan

xScZv43.jpg

Robert C Waring and Mary Jane Gray had a son who they named Frank B Waring

3XzFmlv.png

he was a lawyer in Chicago...I circled him below

P3DJV2v.jpg

his wife was also a pioneer:

kaMWoN1.jpg

Mary Fitzbutler Waring (1870 – 1958)

her parents were also pioneers:

3wZHHou.png

Her father is the name sake of one of the houses at

YozveGE.png

University of Michigan’s Bicentennial: Celebrating William Henry Fitzbutler, M.D.
The Medical School’s first African-American graduate, Fitzbutler was a champion of diversity, equality, and social justice

University of Michigan’s Bicentennial: Celebrating William Henry Fitzbutler, M.D.

invalid

Banned
Daps
I knew of the Waring lady being the first lady of Liberia but I didn't know anything about her family/clan that stayed in the USA. Some more from that clan

Yeah, it’s interesting. Never heard of her before but her family was all in the same areas of my own family- Columbus, Yellow Springs, Oberlin, even her....

his wife was also a pioneer:

She was born in Amherstberg, Ontario where branches of my own family lived. You posted about my cousin whose a director at the Amherstberg Freedom Fighter Museum. Crazy I haven’t heard about them.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Yeah, it’s interesting. Never heard of her before but her family was all in the same areas of my own family- Columbus, Yellow Springs, Oberlin, even her....

I noticed alot of black virginians and north carolinians made similar journeys to ohio and canada

She was born in Amherstberg, Ontario where branches of my own family lived. You posted about my cousin whose a director at the Amherstberg Freedom Fighter Museum. Crazy I haven’t heard about them.

the shaads, right?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@Get These Nets

I’m gonna do a new thread on Great Black Historical Beefs.

The stuff I’ve been reading has had me :dead:.

This one black socialite was beefing with Mary McCleod Bethune....called her this “great big black thing.”:heh:

That thread will do numbers here, UNLESS you give background and context to the disagreement. I expect you to provide that, so maybe the opening weekend numbers will be great if you give it a provocative enough title.

The Real Housewives of Oak Bluffs
?

hehehehe

I've never read or heard about anything negative said about Ms. Bethune, so I'd be interested in knowing what kind of envy prompted such a comment and from whom.

Looking forward to the thread.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I really hope that’s not the obit. Reads like a professional biography you put on a website. It’s also clout chasing. Why mention the Links? What does that have to do with him?
His own life was about chasing Clout, He was born in the low tier Boule class family, got a Law degree but bushed that to take a waiter job at a white Country Club that wouldn't allow his Black ass to be a member.