VanishingHarryPace_Squares_viUVds0.png

Harry Pace’s grandson. :mjlol:

What is that? Alizé?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Harry Pace’s grandson. :mjlol:

What is that? Alizé?

Whose son is he? The descendants had a blogspot years ago where they were working on a Herbert Pace docu (the trailer is no longer on the net) on his life story and they would often post in the comment section. I posted these year ago on here in this thread-->The "1 Drop Rule" explained and how it's tied to AfroAmerican identity

words from his granddaughter:

S64CvNs.jpg

Susan Pace Hoy

Blogger: User Profile: Susan Pace Hoy

My name is Susan Pace Hoy and I am the granddaughter of Harry Herbert Pace. I grew up in an all white neighborhood in a small town, went to an all white school during elementary and high school, attended an all white Episcopalian church on Sundays and grew up with the understanding that my roots were possibly Italian. I never was told anything about my father’s heritage and he never offered any information to us.
About two years ago, my brother told me of my real roots. His wife discovered from the internet, a story of a man- an incredible man. This was the story of a scholar, lawyer, author, entrepreneur, philosopher, insurance executive & record producer. This was a story of a man who founded the largest black insurance company in America, who partnered with W.C. Handy, “Father of the Blues”, founded Black Swan records and produced the first black recording artists in America. This man was an advocate for the black race for nearly his lifetime until he passed into the white world. The article I read off the internet that evening was by Jitu K. Weusi. “The Rise and Fall of Black Swan Records.”

It was written how this man was very light-skinned and could pass for white. That is exactly what he did-years after the fall of Black Swan Records. I was stunned that the man I was reading about was in fact my grandfather. I was the granddaughter of this incredible person. How could this have been kept from us? How could my father go to his death without telling us this unbelievable story? How could he have been married to my mother for so many years and never told her? I always struggled with why my father never could tell us anything about his childhood. He never talked of his Dad unless we questioned him and then I suppose it was all false. My father had only one sibling, a sister, and she is alive and living in the mid-west. “The Secret” that my aunt and my father harbored almost their entire life is now out to the family.
My nephew asks the question how a discovery such as this could make a person question their sense of identity?
Perhaps when you are young and still have so much of life to live and are only just formulating your identity it may not pose as such an issue. Young people today have been around a multitude of cultures for most of their lives. Growing up in the 50’s, 60’s & 70’s, I remember the civil rights movement, and when busing was being used as a way of integration of the schools. When you have lived 50 + years as one race and then suddenly find you’re bi-racial, it has been not an easy adjustment. These past two years have been tough. Our family has been ripped apart. Some are not speaking to one another and some are. Some do not want to delve deeper into this while my brother and I clearly want to know it all. I have shared the story with my very closest friends. They have embraced me and given me their ear while others I have not, just because of the magnitude of the story. At times I feel conflicted. I am so proud to be related to this man. On the other hand, I feel ashamed of myself for the hesitation when asked about my heritage. Now I am constantly questioning myself. Could it be that I am perpetuating racism by these feelings? I am who I have always been- I am the same person, just a lot more enriched. Aren’t we all just a melting pot of cultures? Perhaps this stereotype of what equates whiteness or blackness will someday disappear. I would like to think that as time goes on race can be a thing of the past.

His grandson:

R0JoPfP.jpg

Peter Pace

Blogger: User Profile: Peter Pace

My sons question about how discovering that you have african ancestry later in your life affects your sense of identity is a difficult and subtle issue. My wife points out that I have been utterly changed by the knowledge. A person reflects on the world through the filter of identiy. Any change to that sense of identity, changes how you look out at the rest of the world and calls into question assumptions about your own life. Anecdotal incidents from childhood that were always considered benign,take on new interpretation. Why was it kept secret from me and what are my responsibilties of disclosure to friends, family and the world at large? The secret becomes my secret. My family is still struggleing with all of this. Some wish that we had never found out, others have become obsessive about finding out more but all of us have been irreversibly changed by this knowledge.

Harry Herbert Pace

Blogger: User Profile: Susan Pace Hoy

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
Whose son is he? The descendants had a blogspot years ago where they were working on a Herbert Pace docu (the trailer is no longer on the net) on his life story and they would often post in the comment section. I posted these year ago on here in this thread-->The "1 Drop Rule" explained and how it's tied to AfroAmerican identity

words from his granddaughter:

Jeesh....they’re white white. :russ:

That is Peter Pace’s son. So HP’s great grandson, not grandson.

I looked through the comments of that blog. Interestingly, I saw the comment of Bliss Broyard, of whom I read her book some years ago on her father Anatole Broyard who passed for white....even on Martha’s Vineyard around Oak Bluffs. What was funny was how the Oak Bluffs crowd just thought he was just another black creole man all those years and had no idea he was passing.

Anyway, I found her comment interesting where she essentially says how incredible the insidious nature of racism has to be that a ‘race man’ like Harry Pace, who spent his life championing the negro race, in the end, had to succumb to passing.

Reminds me of Dubois, who after years of championing the rights of black people here, had to spend his last years in Ghana.

Also interesting, Peter says HP was a member of the Boule. I wonder which chapter because he wasn’t a member of the Chicago Boule. Of his peers - Truman Gibson, Midian Bousfield, and Earl dikkerson, only Gibson and Bousfield were members.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Jeesh....they’re white white. :russ:

:russ:
C3oLczZ.jpg

^^susan pace would go undetected at a klan meeting

Entrar no Facebook

That is Peter Pace’s son. So HP’s great grandson, not grandson.

I just looked at the blog again too and saw the grandson's old posts

I looked through the comments of that blog. Interestingly, I saw the comment of Bliss Broyard, of whom I read her book some years ago on her father Anatole Broyard who passed for white....even on Martha’s Vineyard around Oak Bluffs. What was funny was how the Oak Bluffs crowd just thought he was just another black creole man all those years and had no idea he was passing.

:lolbron: passing types never fool other black people

Anyway, I found her comment interesting where she essentially says how incredible the insidious nature of racism has to be that a ‘race man’ like Harry Pace, who spent his life championing the negro race, in the end, had to succumb to passing.

passing as white was the only way to escape all forms of jim crowism in those days

Reminds me of Dubois, who after years of championing the rights of black people here, had to spend his last years in Ghana.

Also interesting, Peter says HP was a member of the Boule. I wonder which chapter because he wasn’t a member of the Chicago Boule. Of his peers - Truman Gibson, Midian Bousfield, and Earl dikkerson, only Gibson and Bousfield were members.

interesting

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
But she was also inducted into the Links, Inc.

And if anyone knows anything about the Links, they would not have inducted her if her blackness and service to the black community was not the top most priority.

1-Kamala-Harris-and-Links-Officers-700x589.jpg

2-LA-Chapter-Links-700x525.jpg

The Links, Incorporated: How African American Debutantes Shaped a New Vision of Black Womanhood
By Taylor Bythewood-Porter
July 22, 2021

cover-cookie.jpg

The history of the young Black "deb" illuminates African American women's history and the complexity of racial representation. Theirs is a story of challenging institutionalized stereotypes that limit the role and potential of Black girls.
On November 18, 1961, President John F. Kennedy and California Governor Pat Brown greeted 28 young ladies as they made their debut into society during the Los Angeles Chapter of The Links, Incorporated's 10th annual cotillion at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. The sitting president was foremost paying respect to singer Nat King Cole, whose daughter Carole was debuting that evening, yet his presence epitomized the emergent power of African American debutante culture.

Jet-Magazine-Nat.jpg

Social organizations like The Links, Incorporated have a long history of challenging institutionalized stereotypes that limit the role and potential of Black girls. The history of the young Black "deb" illuminates African American women's history and the complexity of racial representation. Building off of the late nineteenth-century developments such as the racial uplift movement and the women's club movement, African American social organizations melded advancement ideologies with established European debutante traditions to create a unique cultural phenomenon that persists to this day. The origins and significance of these organizations are explored in the exhibition "Rights and Rituals: The Making of African American Debutante Culture," which I curated and is on view at the California African American Museum until February 27, 2022.

Debutantes dance with their partners in Los Angeles, September 1968.

While the Thirteenth Amendment abolished enslavement and involuntary servitude in 1865, centuries of white supremacy had legitimized the persistent dehumanization of African Americans and their exclusion from participation in American civic life. In the Reconstruction Era following the Civil War, policies and programs emerged that gave emancipated populations new pathways to opportunity. It offered a sense of optimism and helped expand a burgeoning Black middle class, which already included a small number of free people of color. As Black families experienced greater economic mobility, their daughters became essential to projecting Victorian values of morality and beauty, adding to existing community beliefs in the importance of education and service. African American debutantes shouldered the responsibility of challenging negative stereotypes of Blackness while also exhibiting their worthiness as women.

According to "The Southern Diaspora: How the Great Migrations of Black and White Southerners Transformed America" by James Gregory, by 1900, only 740,000 African Americans — just 8% of the nation's total Black population — lived outside the South. While large populations of African Americans were relocating to northern and mid-western cities, such as New York, Philadelphia, Detroit and Chicago, the city of Los Angeles offered increased potential for economic advancement and access to a more integrated educational system. By 1920, Los Angeles was the largest city in the West, with the region's fastest-growing Black population. As Black families traveled from coast to coast, visiting family members who lived in northern or southern cities, they brought back with them traditions and activities such as social clubs that already had a deep history with African American debutante culture.

Warner R. Wright introduces his daughter, Brenda, at a cotillion at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, October 19, 1957.

Social clubs such as the Diane Athletic Club (ca. 1929) and the March Club (1931) emerged on the West Coast, but perhaps the most prominent and lasting Black women's club, which still exists to this day, is The Links, Incorporated. Founded in 1946 in Philadelphia by community leaders Margaret Rosell Hawkins and Sarah Strickland Scott, The Links, Incorporated was created as a social club and supportive sisterhood for young Black women. The club offered guidance, as well as opportunities for community-building and empowerment around the core values of friendship, service, family relations, respect for oneself and others, legacy, responsibility and accountability. The first West Coast chapter of The Links, Incorporated was established in Los Angeles in 1950, with additional chapters in San Francisco and Oakland later that year.

1964 debutantes at the 20th Century Onyx Club, Oxnard. First row, left to right: Vickey Banks, Betty Marie Decquir; second row, left to right: Gwendolyn Jean Tatum, Claudette Marie Lyghts, Donna Jo Cottry; third row, left to right: Mildred Virginia White, Deidre Gail Wilkes and Martha Velverlee Cameron; also introduced was Patricia Ann Hudson.

In 1950, Los Angeles school teacher Marjorie Eloise Bright McPherson (1906-1958) held a luncheon for a carefully selected group of Black women who she felt demonstrated leadership qualities within the community. As a result of this event, the Los Angeles Chapter of The Links, Incorporated was born and quickly became one of the most influential women's groups in the city of Los Angeles. Marjorie, born in Los Angeles and a part of an African American pioneer family, was held in high regard. She attended the University of California, Berkeley where she joined Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority. Later, McPherson, was a charter member of the League of Allied Arts and of the Los Angeles Chapter of Jack and Jill, Incorporated. A longtime member of the Wesley Methodist Church and later of the Westminster Presbyterian Church of Los Angeles, with strong community ties, her luncheon consisted of many accomplished women, including Hilda Allen, Rheba Butler, Irene Morris, Cornelia Bradford, Sydnetta Smith, Josephine Smith, Rosemary Holloman, Birdie Lee Bright, Ursula Murrell, Della Williams, Gwendolyn Simmons, Alice Harvey, Miriam Matthews, Hortense Graham, Willa B. Johnson, Juanita Miller, Ellen Garrot and Dr. Vada Somerville. The group included fellow teachers, a librarian, a dentist and other women who, though not professionals, held active roles in public service, and whose influence could be felt.

Della Mae Givens Williams, (1895–1996) co-founded the Wilfandel Club and was on the board of the Assistance League of the Stovall Foundation (formally the Outdoor Life and Health Association). Her father Rev. Philip Givens founded the Second Baptist Church of Newton County in Missouri and was a leading agriculturist and businessman and Cordelia Perry, her mother, was also of a pioneer Missouri family. Migrating to Los Angeles with her family in 1909, Williams, one of nine children, was encouraged to be socially and civically active. Marrying the preeminent Black architect, Paul Revere Williams in 1917, the power couple regularly gave to the NAACP, hosted fundraising gatherings and personally gave to individuals in the community.

When the Los Angeles Chapter of The Links, Incorporated faced challenges finding a venue for their first cotillion due to racial discrimination, Williams informed her husband and requested he speak with some of his friends. At that time, due to discriminatory local and state laws, minorities were not yet allowed to use hotel ballrooms for their social events. With the help of his network of celebrity clients, such as Van Johnson, Eartha Kitt and Frank Sinatra, The Links gained access to Ciro's, a glamorous supper club on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood (now the Comedy Store). The privately-owned nightclub was widely popular with movie stars like Mae West, Marilyn Monroe and Ronald Reagan, however the only people of color who had access to the space were either celebrities like Nat King Cole or Billie Holiday and staff. When the cotillion was held on October 20, 1952, Black Los Angeles society turned out en masse to enjoy the debut of 18 young women, and music played by Sammy Davis Jr. and his full piece orchestra, and raised $500 for the purchase of a life membership for The Links, Incorporated from the NAACP.

A debutante at the Los Angeles Links Ball, Los Angeles, November 1964.

Miriam Matthews (1905–2003) was the first Black librarian at the Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL). Moving from Florida to Los Angeles with her family at age two, Matthews later attended the University of California at both Los Angeles and Berkeley, where she joined Delta Sigma Theta Sorority. At Berkeley, Matthews earned her bachelor's degree in Spanish in 1926. Working at the LAPL from 1927 to 1960, first as a branch librarian and later as the supervisor of twelve branch libraries, she advocated to establish Negro History Week (later Black History Month) in Los Angeles in 1931, following similar national efforts by figures such as Carter G. Woodson. As a founding member of the Los Angeles Chapter of The Links, Incorporated, Matthews both identified and preserved Black institutions through her research and collection of African American history and her community involvement.

Dr. Vada Jetmore Watson Somerville (1885–1972) was a civil rights activist and community leader. Her parents were early settlers in the State, coming between 1890 and 1894 to San Bernardino County. Graduating from Commercial High School (now Polytechnic), she later attended the University of Southern California and the USC Dental College, where she received her degree in Dentistry in 1918. Dr. Somerville, was the second Black woman in California to receive her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree, and the first African American woman to graduate from the University of Southern California School of Dentistry. Marrying Dr. John Somerville in 1912, also a graduate of the USC Dental College, the couple quickly became community activists, starting the Los Angeles branch of the NAACP in their home in 1914, building the Hotel Somerville (now the Dunbar Hotel), and establishing the La Vada apartments. Seeing the need for organizations that supported Black women, Dr. Somerville, was one of the founders of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Council of the National Council of Negro Women, she was also an executive board member of the Los Angeles League of Women Voters, and was an active member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority.

In their efforts to advance education and demonstrate the importance of giving back to the African American community, organizations like The Links, Incorporated, have created opportunities for young Black women to grow and thrive. The 2019 debutantes of the Los Angeles Chapter of The Links, Incorporated included Nia Imani Mosby, a member of the NAACP Youth Executive Council who is attending Princeton University and plans to become an astrophysicist, and Madison De Pew Burnett, past President of the Los Angeles Chapter of Jack and Jill, who held an internship for Senator Kamala Harris. The history and evolution of the African American debutante includes thousands of young women who took part in shaping a new vision of Blackness, representing not only their families' aspirations, but also those of their country in its strides toward racial equality.

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
Almost everyone posted in this thread is just a tanned cracker:francis:. Hoping with the emergence of Africa, there's more real black people on here in thr future.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The Paul Robeson family, genetic and extended was:leon:

Robeson_900.jpg

his mother's fam

Bustill-Family.jpg

Bustill family - Wikipedia

^^his maternal mother, grandfather and aunt

@Dorian Gray

some more Robeson connects via his maternal side:

Richard Morrey
Birthdate: 1675
Birthplace: Cheltenham, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, United States
Death: 1753 (77-78)
Cheltenham, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, United States
Immediate Family:
Son of Humphrey Morrey and Ann Morrey
Husband of Sarah Morrey and Cremona Morrey
Father of Matilda Kimble; Rachel Morrey; Elizabeth Bustill; Cremona Montier; Caesar Morrey and 1 other

he left land to his negro mistress/servant

HFFbQfj.png

her name was Cremona Morrey

g2FBv6J.png

her/their kids

69uqnGA.png

Paul Robeson comes from the Elizabeth line via his mother. Elizabeth was married to Cyrus Bustill, one of the founders of the Free African Society

WUsEiz8.png

Cyrus Bustill (February 2, 1732—1806)

was an African-American brewer and baker, abolitionist and community leader.[1]

A notable business owner in the African-American community in Philadelphia, he also became a founding member of the Free African Society in the city.

By 1791, Cyrus Bustill was recorded as owning twelve acres in the black settlement of Guineatown between the Abington and Cheltenham townships in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.[5][4] He married Elizabeth Morey (1746–1827)

From the Cremona Jr (this was a daughter) comes the Montier line/name; she married a FPC from the French West Indies named, John Montier

flHOT8X.png

They had a son named Hiram who later married another FPC Afram woman and they had these portraits done of themselves

P0Qcp9S.jpg

QzkpEvv.jpg

The Philadelphia Museum of Art houses an extremely rare pair of portraits of African American sitters whose heritage can be traced back to the city’s first mayor, Humphrey Morrey (b. c. 1650, England; d. 1716, Philadelphia), appointed to his office by William Penn in 1691. In 1742, Mayor Humphrey Morrey's son Richard (1675-1754) married one of the family’s servants, Cremona Cremona Morrey (1710-1770) who was 35 years younger than he. The union resulted in five children, and in Cremona Morrey receiving 198 acres of land from Richard in 1746, near Guineatown in Cheltenham Township of Montgomery County just northwest of Philadelphia. One of their 5 children, Cremona, married a free black man, John Montier. Hiram Chales Montier descended from this union.

The portraits were painted in 1841 and depict Hiram Charles Montier (1818–1905), who was a bootmaker on N.W. 7th Street at the time of the painting, and his wife Elizabeth Brown Montier (1820–ca. 1858) whom family records indicate had lived in the city’s Northern Liberties neighborhood. Living in Philadelphia, the Montiers were members of one of the largest free African American communities in the North although Pennsylvania’s gradual emancipation law of 1780 permitted slavery well into the 19th century.

The signature “Fr Street” on the reverse (now concealed by lining) of Elizabeth’s portrait corresponds to an artist named Franklin R. Street who was active in Philadelphia between 1839 and 1872. No other works by the artist are recorded and no contemporary exhibition records for him have been found, though he was listed in city directories and census records; he was likely a professional painter, producing commercial signs and fancy work as well as portraits. The paintings nevertheless adopt the conventions of high-style portraiture, including the elegant attire, grand architecture, and dramatic landscapes that characterize the works of Philadelphia masters such as Gilbert Stuart and Thomas Sully. At the time of these paintings, Franklin Street’s studio was located at 41 Chestnut Street.

from them descend another pioneer in his own right

fvcqn0Y.jpg

A 1958 graduate of UVM, where he served a term as Student Government president, Bill Pickens was an executive with Marine Midland Bank and Philip Morris before starting his own consulting firm in 1979

Although the Pickens family lived in Laurelton, Queens, Bill remembers visiting Sag Harbor in the summer for decades before finally moving to the area permanently in 2004. “I think I was 10 years old the first time I came here,” he recalls fondly. “There weren’t a lot of homes here at the time. It was all woods. A lot of the streets around here are named by who visited here in the past. Paul Robeson, the singer and civil rights activist, came here and there’s a street named after him.”

When it was Bill’s time to continue the Pickens family legacy, he enrolled in the University of Vermont and majored in history and political science. He was the first African American student to be elected president of the student body. He was also elected president of the Honor Society and president of the fraternity Tau Epsilon Phi.

In 1958, he joined the Air Force as a Second Lieutenant. Pickens’s position as Personnel Officer in the Air Force sent him across the world to Japan. His superior officer told him to learn Japanese so that he could handle the affairs that needed attention. He picked up the language easily and enjoyed the culture and its art. Being an artist himself, he was captivated with the beauty of the traditional Japanese dolls that would be displayed during the Doll Festivals. He began to collect dolls, acquiring 70 of them, which are on display at the C.V. Starr East Asian Library at Columbia University.

Pickens’s father passed away while he was in Japan. Upon his return, he worked in several different executive positions over the course of time, which included Western Electric, Booz Allen Hamilton, Marine Midland Bank, and Phillip Morris before started his own business, Bill Pickens Associates. It didn’t take long before entrepreneur Ryoichi Sasakawa approached him, asking him to become an advisor to the U.S. Japanese Foundation.

It also didn’t take long for Pickens to realize his grandfather’s legacy, as he became a member of the National Committee on American Foreign Policy, bringing peace keeping missions to Northern Ireland and South America. Pickens has also served as the Director of the Executive committee of the NAACP, the organization co-founded by his grandfather in 1909.

A Walk Down Memory Lane with William Pickens III – Dan’s Papers

his grandfather on dad's side was William Pickens sr

n490e5T.png

CAd4sBn.jpg

His grandfather, William Pickens, Sr. was born in 1881 to slave parents. “My grandfather was a brilliant man. After he was freed, he went on to be a straight A student at Yale. A true scholar, he had a knack for languages and spoke Latin, German, Greek, Spanish, French, Italian, and Esperanto [an auxiliary international language].”

“He was also a great orator. When he graduated in 1904, he was the first African American to be awarded a certificate from the Esperanto Society. He was also a member of Phi Beta Kappa and graduated summa cum laude. Can you imagine?” Pickens said with a smile, “That was 114 years ago!”

Thanks to Patricia, Pickens’s late wife, a portrait of his grandfather is hanging on the wall in the Chairman’s office in the Arts and Sciences Department of Yale. “It’s funny,” he said. “You walk into the university and all you see are pictures of all these white guys on the walls and then you see my grandfather. I’m sure it causes a pause,” he said with a laugh.

In 1975, Pickens created the William Pickens Prize, which is a cash prize awarded to the top senior essayist from the Department of African American Studies. In 2002, Pickens, Sr. was honored by Yale University.

With obvious pride, Pickens revealed that his grandfather was co-founder of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. At just 28 years old, he became a member of the committee. “He was an activist whose goal was to make America better. He believed in the Constitution. Remember, he came from slavery and believed that the Constitution was for everyone. It didn’t have a race tied to it. It was a document that was meant to unite.”

Pickens, Sr. met his future wife, Minnie McAlpine, in South Carolina. She was also a top scholar and in 1902, she became one of the first 1000 African Americans in the United States to graduate college. “They had three children who were all scholars and all college graduates.

A Walk Down Memory Lane with William Pickens III – Dan’s Papers

his aunt was Harriet Ida Pickens

My aunt, Harriet Ida Pickens, went to Smith College and was the first female African American Naval officer. She was encouraged by Eleanor Roosevelt.”

in summary,

jABriLv.png

WHYY Specials | The Montiers: An American Story | Season 2018 | Episode 1

invalid

Banned
Daps

============

Robert John Palmer - 2nd Great Grandfather of Dave Chapelle

Robert-J-Palmer-3-207x300.png

Robert John Palmer (born January 18, 1849 - May 12, 1928) was a wealthy tailor and politician born into slavery in South Carolina. Palmer was elected a South Carolina state representative from 1876 to 1878 and had a tailor shop opposite the post office on Main Street in Columbia, South Carolina. He is buried in Randolph Cemetery along with eight other reconstruction era legislators.

Robert J. Palmer's daughter was Rosina C. Palmer:

220px-Rosina_chappelle.jpg

Rosina Palmer, daughter of Columbian Robert J. Palmer, a large and wealthy land-owner and member of the state legislature in the post-Reconstruction period. Rosina C. Palmer had contributed an essay as a young woman to what the Library of Congress describes as "a collection of essays by African American authors designed to encourage diligence, temperance, and religion among young African Americans."

Rosina was married to William David Chappelle, Sr.

Bishop_William_D._Chappelle.jpg

William David Chappelle (November 16, 1857 – June 15, 1925) was an American educationalist and bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Chappelle served as president of Allen University, a historically black university in Columbia, South Carolina, from 1897 to 1899 and served as the chairman of its board of trustees from 1916 to 1925.

Chappelle was born enslaved in 1857 in Winnsboro, South Carolina, one of the eleven children of Henry and Patsy McCory Chappelle.

After the death of his first wife, he married Rosina C. Palmer who had contributed an essay as a young woman to what the Library of Congress describes as "a collection of essays by African American authors designed to encourage diligence, temperance, and religion among young African Americans.

On March 13, 1918, Bishop Chappelle led a delegation from the bishops' council of the African Methodist Episcopal Church to meet Democratic President Woodrow Wilson at the White House. The delegation came to protest the mounting wave of anti-black violence and hysteria accompanying the Great Migration, including numerous lynchings and other mob violence. Wilson took no action.

===========================

W.D. and Rosina Chappelle's son - William David Chapelle, Jr.:

220px-Portrait_of_W.D._Chappelle%2C_Jr.jpg

W. D. Chappelle Jr. (October 19, 1888 - March 7, 1957)[1] was an American physician and surgeon in South Carolina who opened the People’s Infirmary, a hospital and surgery practice for African Americans in Columbia, South Carolina in 1914. At the time, segregation prevented many African Americans from having access to healthcare.

He graduated with his M.D. from Leonard Medical College at Shaw University in 1913. He received his medical license in 1914, one of the 18 out of 44 applicants who passed.

================================

W. D. Chappelle Jr.'s nephew - William David Chappelle III (Dave Chapelle's father):

Chappelle was born on December 16, 1938 in Columbia, South Carolina. He attended Brown University, and then graduated from Antioch College with a B.A. degree in music.

Chappelle served in the United States Army for four years, and played clarinet in the service. After moving to Yellow Springs, Ohio in 1967, he became a faculty member in the Co-op Department of Antioch College. He then became a professor in the music department, where he mainly taught vocal performance. Chappelle served terms both as Dean of Students and as Dean of Community Services.

Chappelle was also active as an organizer in the civil rights movement in Ohio. In the 1970s he was a member of the Yellow Springs Human Relations Commission. He was also the co-founder of the advocacy organization H.U.M.A.N., for Help Us Make A Nation, and he was a founder of the African American Cross-Cultural Works. Chappelle taught a class on anti-racist activism at Antioch College. As part of his activism, Chappelle organized the Blues Week in Yellow Springs Ohio. He also worked for several years on community programs in Washington, D.C., and he worked as a statistician.

In 2010, Chappelle received the Walter F. Anderson Award from the Antioch College Alumni Association, alongside Edythe Scott Bagley and Jim Dunn. The Anderson Award "recognizes contributions by alumni and friends who have advanced Antioch College's ideals by breaking down racial and ethnic barriers".

Chappelle died in August 1998 in Yellow Springs.[1]

W.D. Chappelle III married Yvonne Seon (Dave Chappelle's Mother):

seon.jpg

Born in Washington, D.C., on December 20, 1937, Yvonne Seon graduated as salutatorian of her class at Paul Laurence Dunbar High School in Washington, D.C. Seon received a B.A. with honors from Allegheny College in 1959. She attended the American University as a Woodrow Wilson Fellow and in 1960 earned her M.A. in political science. That same year, she met Patrice Lumumba, leader of the newly independent Congo, on his only visit to the United States. The dynamic African leader offered Seon a job in his new government. Proficient in French, and with a keen interest in Africa, Seon accepted and served as secretary of the Inga Dam project for two years. She also served in a State Department delegation to a UNESCO conference in Paris. In 1966, Seon attended the First African Festival of the Arts held in Dakar, Senegal.

While in school at Union Graduate School, Seon became the first director of the Bolinga Black Cultural Resource Center at Wright State University. She returned to Washington, D.C., in 1972 to work for Congressman Howard Diggs. She became one of the first contributors to Africare, an American-based aid organization to Africa. By 1977, Seon was the first woman to serve on Africare's board of directors, and in 2002 she became its first vice chairwoman. When still a graduate student, Seon was drawn to the Unitarian Universalist Church, and was later ordained as a minister. Seon currently works as an associate professor of history at Prince George's Community College in Largo, Maryland, and resides in Cheverly, Maryland.

Last edited: