IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Interesting.
What are your thoughts? And maybe you can explain to me why #ADOS are in a tizzy in the comments?
I keep seeing them say that the author is undermining the ADOS fight for reparations.
But it seems like the article is doing the exact opposite?

The Syphaxes certainly did leverage the land given to them by George Washington Parke Custis. It was only 17 acres though. 17 valuable acres that they leveraged, and certainly made them wealthy, but not enough recompense in my opinion.

what comments?

As an aside, I'm a descendant of Samuel Washington, George Washington's brother.
Actually, that line connects to my Ontario -> Detroit, Hughes/Binga/Morris clans.

:salute:

Daps
What access to wealth and power do they have that isn’t ordained by the dominant society and can’t be taken away?

:usure:

That may be true. But they have more access to the levers of power to get what they want than you and I do.

I've met some of these people. The argument could be made that they are squandering the power and opportunities that they have by not spreading the wealth among the ppl but they definitely benefit as individuals.

I want that access that they have. I believe if I had the access, I would use it to benefit our community at large.

Daps
That may be true. But they have more access to the levers of power to get what they want than you and I do.

I've met some of these people. The argument could be made that they are squandering the power and opportunities that they have by not spreading the wealth among the ppl but they definitely benefit as individuals.

I want that access that they have. I believe if I had the access, I would use it to benefit our community at large.
I hear you, but if you tried to use your wealth to effect substantial change in the black community, they would target you.

I’m sorry for being such a cynic, but I view wealthy black people as actors, people paid handsomely to play their part in a theatrical display for the eyes of black America.

We had a glimpse of our real power last summer. It’s in the streets, when our numbers come together, and our demands are joined with purposeful violence.

:yeshrug:

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
I've asked this question a lot on here and don't really get sufficient answers.
What would you like to see the black elite do to help the black community?

Whatever other elite people of non-Black communities do. That in a nutshell should answer all your questions you ever had.

invalid

Banned
Daps
what comments?

I’m like legit scratching my head here. :patrice:

The is the most pro-black reparation article that I have seen coming from another minority group. I was actually surprised it was written by an Asian woman since Asians are currently being used as proxies in the fight to end affirmative action. Did I miss some angle in the article that is riling up ADOS?

King Poetic

A.K.A. Curve
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southern California
For me.. and it’s not about the money, it’s about the loyalty and you don’t hear about bullshyt drama and all about black family love and struggle

GettyImages-504434762.jpg

samuel-l-jackson-family.jpg

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
good thread.

I don't get along with the cotillion set, but I have to respect the accomplishments/achievements of their families.

Agreed. This thread made me realize I might have squandered my networking opportunity in business school at Northwestern. A couple of folks in the OP are alum. I had classmates doing big things. I just can’t be around uptight, pretentious periods for long periods of time.

It did appeal to me as an opportunity to marry strategically tho.

Daps
I hear you, but if you tried to use your wealth to effect substantial change in the black community, they would target you.

I’m sorry for being such a cynic, but I view wealthy black people as actors, people paid handsomely to play their part in a theatrical display for the eyes of black America.

We had a glimpse of our real power last summer. It’s in the streets, when our numbers come together, and our demands are joined with purposeful violence.

:yeshrug:
I disagree. Protesting and marching isn’t power. What has it accomplished/changed?

I agree with @neotheflyingone . Real power is having capital, connections and a network. Using favors to accomplish what you want. Politicians are powerful because they can change laws. Rich cant exactly change laws but they can pay politicians to change some laws

invalid

Banned
Daps
What is your educational background?

This video doesn’t help your argument. It specifically talks about how American elites put protective barriers in place to keep the 90% from class mobility.

In fact, it says class mobility is worse in America than most developed countries and getting worse.

So I ask again, what are other American elites doing to help bootstrap their people out of the mud because it appears that you are privy to some of these things in which the presenters of the video are not, yet you won’t offer any specifics?