American Sniper is decent.....

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I wanted to get your point of view on the controversy over the movie. I expected some UBER propaganda shyt when I went into it based on what everyone was saying, but I thought it did a great job showing the mental effects of war with PTSD/Anxiety. The war parts weren't as horrific as they should've been, a little sugar coated. I enjoyed it as well, but don't think I'll be rewatching it in the future
Sorry breh im in bed sick as a dog. I agree with you it wasnt as bad as the dudes on here make it seem propaganda wise but i still felt i wasnt getting the whole story on the war side of things. I still havent read the true story articles like i usually do after these types of flicks

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Sorry breh im in bed sick as a dog. I agree with you it wasnt as bad as the dudes on here make it seem propaganda wise but i still felt i wasnt getting the whole story on the war side of things. I still havent read the true story articles like i usually do after these types of flicks
I agree, but I also think Eastwood was trying to show the motivations of the type of people who enlist in the military (rather than examine the geopolitical things going on that led to the actual war). A lot of them actually think that they're protecting all of us. I think the movie was more about showing why Kyle enlisted and how you can be suckered into a conflict. Feel better breh.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I disagree but I think he could've done a much better job showing the horrors of war. If he hadn't done a good job at showing the effects of anxiety/ptsd then I would be MUCH LESS positive about the film.

They glossed over this guys egotistical personality and him being a pathological liar....

So yes it is propaganda....

If you gave a complete story of this guy instead of painting him as a selfless war hero

then we can say its authentic...otherwise its skewed....and why would it be skewed?

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
They glossed over this guys egotistical personality and him being a pathological liar....

So yes it is propaganda....
Kyle's family threatened to sue the shyt out of eastwood, so I went into the movie knowing it wasn't a completely accurate representation of a humans personality. I don't see how that makes the movie propaganda though. Especially when there was some anti-war sentiment in the film.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Kyle's family threatened to sue the shyt out of eastwood, so I went into the movie knowing it wasn't a completely accurate representation of a humans personality. I don't see how that makes the movie propaganda though. Especially when there was some anti-war sentiment in the film.

They didn't threaten to sue him.....He knew what kind of movie he was going to make. Eastwood is a known, vocal conservative.

Kyles wife contributed on the screenplay apparently and the movie is based off a book that Kyle with the assistance of two others wrote himself.

I enjoyed the war stuff because I always like movies like that...but when they make movies off real people and paint a specific narrative of that person and their personality.....leaving out certain events that are currently controversial....thats spells agenda

And judging by the 90 mill in one weekend in January.....mission accomplished

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
They didn't threaten to sue him.....He knew what kind of movie he was going to make. Eastwood is a known, vocal conservative.

Kyles wife contributed on the screenplay apparently and the movie is based off a book that Kyle with the assistance of two others wrote himself.

I enjoyed the war stuff because I always like movies like that...but when they make movies off real people and paint a specific narrative of that person and their personality.....leaving out certain events that are currently controversial....thats spells agenda

And judging by the 90 mill in one weekend in January.....mission accomplished
Wayne Kyle said he looked into the eyes of the veteran director and warned him: 'Disrespect my son and I'll unleash Hell on you.'

take that however you want. I can understand being turned off by inaccuracies, but I went in knowing the movie would not be accurate to the real man's personality

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Wayne Kyle said he looked into the eyes of the veteran director and warned him: 'Disrespect my son and I'll unleash Hell on you.'

take that however you want. I can understand being turned off by inaccuracies, but I went in knowing the movie would not be accurate to the real man's personality

That was just some old man saying something for effect...and apparently it's a good quote to be used in magazines for promotional purposes

Kyles estate had to pay Jessie Ventura for libel...so the whole family is crooks

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
That was just some old man saying something for effect...and apparently it's a good quote to be used in magazines for promotional purposes

Kyles estate had to pay Jessie Ventura for libel...so the whole family is crooks
Kyle lied about hitting Ventura but that doesn't mean his whole family is fukked up. I definitely understand your point of view, I just always have a problem with acting like I 100% knew the personality of people I've never met. I know Kyle lied about the Ventura thing but does that mean I know what type of person he was? I think its one of the reasons I went into watching this film with the idea that this guy wasn't even attached to a real person. I kind of took the film on its own without any of the baggage of knowing this guy lied about punching ventura and said some insensitive things in his book. But I understand if other people couldn't do that, or don't feel they should do that to watch the movie. I basically went into the movie thinking it was a work of fiction

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Decent flick to me can't call it anything else :manny:

There's a mythic quality attached to military servicemen, and this film does barely anything to realistically deconstruct that myth. That's why I think it's just an average film.

Last edited: