"American Fiction" | December 2023 | starring Jeffrey Wright, Issa Rae & Sterling K. Brown

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what did yall who have read the source material think?

i didn't like the movie as an adaptation of the book. which is interesting because a lot of it is very faithful to the book.

i thought the script didn't do the actors or the book justice. :patrice:

it's not a bad movie on its own, but i feel like it was missing something that was in the book and i can't exactly put my finger on what it is.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I liked the movie a good amount but not knowing the source material, I felt bait and switched. Thought it’d be a lot more humor and a lot less drama. Honestly wasn’t really particularly in the mood for a family drama when I watched it either. Also didn’t love the end. Wish we could’ve seen the fallout. Happy Jeffery Wright is getting his flowers tho.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
what did yall who have read the source material think?

i didn't like the movie as an adaptation of the book. which is interesting because a lot of it is very faithful to the book.

i thought the script didn't do the actors or the book justice. :patrice:

it's not a bad movie on its own, but i feel like it was missing something that was in the book and i can't exactly put my finger on what it is.
Yeah, Im getting the book in mail shortly but people that love the book are killing the movie because it removes black class issues which is what the book is mostly about. Also the father “liking to bang whites women“ is way more deeper and richer in the book. I can’t wait to read it, tbh

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
It is still not available for streaming, the date I was given is wrong, I have no idea when it will be available

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Just watched this finally, just fukking brilliant. I love satire and this was one of better ones I've seen in some time. Great exploration on capaitalism fueling white supremacy and really a great critique on self righteousness.... Monk was a fraud not just in the sense he was hiding behind this pseudonym but because he happily "corrupted" when he was finally allowed a seat at the mainstream table... He rabidly criticized his GF for being one of the types that would like the book while he himself was profiting off of it financially...and also forgetting that she had enough depth to be one of the few people who bought and liked his original material as well....dude was completely lacking in self awareness and actual morality in the way he fashions himself to.

Great shyt.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Post Chapplelle Show and Boondocks does make It seem that way. And Cord's direction it just looks too flat.

This was a fair comment though.

Last edited:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
It is still not available for streaming, the date I was given is wrong, I have no idea when it will be available

The 2023 film American Fiction will be available on paid video-on-demand (PVOD) services on February 6, 2024. It will be available on the MGM+ streaming subscription service on March 8, 2024.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
The 2023 film American Fiction will be available on paid video-on-demand (PVOD) services on February 6, 2024. It will be available on the MGM+ streaming subscription service on March 8, 2024.
I gave a date for Prime since you felt the need to correct me

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
Sterling

:dame:

Better than book of Clarence

Just came back from 5 dollar Tuesday
Dope movie 8/10

My big headed ass girl fell asleep

The non Harlem scenes took her out the movie

I thought it was :russ: