"American Fiction" | December 2023 | starring Jeffrey Wright, Issa Rae & Sterling K. Brown

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I wanna preface that Im not trying to do the typical tear down one film in order to highlight another. Its good that we have different and original films.
I feel like what Juel Taylor did with They Cloned Tyrone was the more impressive directing debut than Cord Jefferson imo. It just gave in to being a bit silly at times whereas Cord never seemed to take a wrong step. However, I'd argue there is just a bit too much safeness in his script and directing for my liking.

I'd argue Jamie and Boyega gave just as good if not better performances as the leads here.

Its tough with it being a netflix film. However, I think years from now people will gravitate towards the boldness of that movie than this one. Ironically, I cant shake the fact this is a 60/40 edge toward family film. And the family stuff just feels like really good TV and not cinematic enough.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I wanna preface that Im not trying to do the typical tear down one film in order to highlight another. Its good that we have different and original films.
I feel like what Juel Taylor did with They Cloned Tyrone was the more impressive directing debut than Cord Jefferson imo. It just gave in to being a bit silly at times whereas Cord never seemed to take a wrong step. However, I'd argue there is just a bit too much safeness in his script and directing for my liking.

I'd argue Jamie and Boyega gave just as good if not better performances as the leads here.

Its tough with it being a netflix film. However, I think years from now people will gravitate towards the boldness of that movie than this one. Ironically, I cant shake the fact this is a 60/40 edge toward family film. And the family stuff just feels like really good TV and not cinematic enough.

Two completely different films and genres. The only thing they have in common is the element of satire.

s@n

All Star
Daps
What hilarious is that I saw the previews and was like, “man, this seems just like the plot to Erasure by Perceval Everett” and lo, it is! I read that joint my freshman year at college, peace to the folks in the Carleton campus bookstore for highlighting it. I bought it again a few years back. Great joint, I highly recommend it

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Idk what to make of this movie. I mean I ENJOYED it but it sets itself up as a thinking persons movie, as the movie nears the end I started wondering what the point is, and then they basically said there is no point :dwillhuh:

Maybe I need to watch it again to catch it but this would've been better at the beginning. Or maybe the point is to make you rewatch. Idk, I just think I would've enjoyed it even more if I knew to turn my brain off and enjoy the ride. Seems Oscar worthy tho

Daps
I'm going to preface this with saying I enjoyed American Fiction more than Killers of the Flower Moon and Saltburn. But it's a poor adaption with sketchy pacing, you can look past this while you're watching it for the first time but structurally it has issues. Jefferson should have swallowed his pride and had a few people help him write that screenplay. I would have liked for him to focus more on the side characters or stand on being a political film.

The portrayal of Sterling K Brown's character is doubly ironic because the film doesn't criticize how these types of gay characters are portrayed in modern films. If you're conscious enough to make this type of movie how are you not conscious enough to deny a superficial liberal cac audience that satisfaction? I thought Lorraine's characterization had the potential to be much more interesting. You take this one dimensional big Black housekeeper stereotype and showcase her romantic life, her motivations, I would have liked to have seen that.

I also thought that final debate with Issa Rae's character was a bit toothless, well written but not very satisfying. They both have legitimate points but the film frames it as if Monk in the wrong. We should strive to be better, we are not 'good enough'.

I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this film, but these are some very valid criticisms.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
JUST got back from my second screening.

Still holds up as my movie of the year

I think my only flaw with the movie is that they should have taken a little bit of time to show why either Issa Rae’s book was different than Monk’s or why she THOUGHT it was different. That was my only gripe

I really thought they were going to take the approach of Issa knowing it was stereotypical bullsh*t too. And that she came to the same conclusion as Monk. She somewhat alluded to it by saying she was giving the market what it wanted but, then she got defensive when he started criticizing her book, talking about all the research she put into it which implies that she thinks it's good. I would have liked to see her shed her mask and say she was playing the same game.

It's a great film though.

Also, don't medicare pay for that sh*t :mjlol: