"American Fiction" | December 2023 | starring Jeffrey Wright, Issa Rae & Sterling K. Brown

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Best picture nod too

Best actor

and best supporting. Oppenheimer is going to get way too many awards, but the Academy is pretty much bullshyt. I had no idea until a friend in the industry put me on that it's like a political campaign. They spend and network and do favors to advance their movies. And the academy tends to love period pieces and vanity pics. but American Ficion deserves it's recognition. Not that the others don't, it's just it's almost assured that a lot of those Oscar prestige bait movies will be favored.

American Fiction could easily have been some weird indie that no one saw but me, even with Wright and Brown attached-- instead it's got national
attention.

like Oppenheimer, period piece biopic about someone "prestigious", Maestro is another one. Barbie because of Gerwig, and it was a meta feminist movie. Subversive in it's own way. Those are easy Oscar movies.

Last edited:

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Great Black comedy will come back. American Fiction gave me hope.
I was thinking of seeing it tomorrow, it's mostly satire, right? It's not trying to be a 'real' comedy.
I wouldn't say it's not trying to be a "real" comedy. It has a lot of genuinely emotional moments, but the funny moments are just as potent as the "dramatic" moments.

Just got back from seeing American Fiction, you know I feel confident saying it's not really a comedy, you were lying :russ:

I'll give it credit for being well-made and tasteful, but it just doesn't go deep enough, I also didn't expect it to be so personal. That's not what was sold to me in the trailer, I wanted an excoriation of modern identity politics in media from a Black perspective, but what I got was a family drama 'starring Adolph Reed'. I can't help feeling a little disappointed.

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
I wanted an excoriation of modern identity politics in media from a Black perspective, but what I got was a family drama 'starring Adolph Reed'. I can't help feeling a little disappointed.
There was too much family stuff going on for them to fit in more of the social critique. They gave way too much screentime to the housekeeping lady and her husband. And we didn't need it drilled over and over that the brother was geh.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
There was too much family stuff going on for them to fit in more of the social critique. They gave way too much screentime to the housekeeping lady and her husband. And we didn't need it drilled over and over that the brother was geh.
I could understand if they somehow tied it in with the publishing story, but it was completely out of place, even if the housekeeping lady was adorable.
I had some white couples in my audience, and they loved that gay brother character :mjpls:, at least the movie is still selling tickets a month later.

Edit: I appreciate seeing some Keith David, underrated actor.