"American Fiction" | December 2023 | starring Jeffrey Wright, Issa Rae & Sterling K. Brown

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
I feel you. Most of my theatre was white and it triggered my double consciousness to the point where I don’t think I was as immersed in it as I could have been in a black theatre. It’s a racial movie so when white people laugh it does make you wonder why they are laughing. I think Dave Chappelle shared a similar story about hearing a white guy laughing at one of his jokes.

was able to catch a 1045 showing today. It was all Black people in the audience this time and I was able to enjoy the movie fully without cacs cackling all loud throughout :ehh:

beautiful, brilliant, and I'd even say necessary film

I think it's dope that we have films like this and Book of Clarence out at the same time

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Went into this blind off the strength of Jeffery Wright alone. Really great movie. Great castings thru out, and because I went into it blind was great to see Keith David, Erika Alexander, and Brown.

- Don't want to contrast the two, but I saw Book of Clarence recently....I feel like that was trying to flow between multiple notes (parody, comedy, serious, MESSAGE!, romance, etc) but it all fell abrupt and disjointed in that, especially with the transitions. In this, all the notes were perfectly hit, but not in a formulaic way.

- Every actor did great, specifically Wright & Brown....and even tho she didn't have a whole lot of screen time, Leslie Uggams who played the mother, Agnes, killed it. She captured that loving but no filter and cutting energy perfectly :mjlol: the dance scene.

- The family dynamics were authentic...the scenes with Ross calling out Wright for being distant/disengaged yet looking down on the ones that are in the trenches dealing with the day-to-day family shyt was some real life shyt that happens in my family.

- A lot of legit funny scenes, some of which the white folks in the audience were laughing a bit too hard at :mjpls:, others that they didn't laugh at all cause they missed it (was like a 9 second delay of uncomfortable chuckles after the "we need to listen to more black voices" scene)

- The convo between Issa Rae and Wright was on point, feel like I've had several convos similar to that. One being surrounded on me shytting on Tyler Perry's content and having to get checked on shytting on 'low brow' or whatever you wanna call it content.....when that type of non-black content is allowed to just 'be'. Like I'm penalizing the Tyler Perry's of the industry for the industry as whole pigeonholing the entirety of Black life and Black actors/writers/directors.

- I thought the fade to black was the actual ending and thought it was a GREAT ending......:dead:so it playing out how it did was hilarious,

I will say tho...even tho this is kind of a reflection and an exploration of his own thoughts/condescension/life.....I wouldn't be surprised if Cord Jefferson still got that 'don't call my work Black :martin:' / 'Don't put me with those other n-' energy in him. :mjlol:

One of the better flicks I've seen in quite a while.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
To echo some of the thoughts

The "A" story itself - we've seen it before, and most of us have had this debate online DAILY.

Overall - The Hollywood Shuffle/Bamboozled aspect was second place to the family drama. The random clueless white people/extras from Get Out/NPR listeners - they were on the screen and also in my audience - that was funny to an extent. Clowning white folks, liberals or MAGAS, Kendrick Lamar in the Streets and Toby Keith in the White sheets - that gets very old to me.

The Black movie montage was side splitting.

I didn't mind the speechifying in the middle of it. Whoever was writing for Issa's side didn't really come with it though. Though I do wonder if there's something meta about Issa's pov.

I think to anyone that watches it, the white/black part of the movie is the "B" story. The actual A-story is the family story.

There's a bit of "Our Kind of People" vibe in the background, but it's not forefront. (Lawrence Otis Graham).

I definitely did not expect the Lorraine aspect of it. I was already fearing for her when I saw her.

The interactions/acting
  • Jeffrey was great. I wondered if there was some meta commentary on one his last joints - O.G. (2018) ⭐ 6.2 | Drama
  • Tracee and Jeffrey had great chemistry. Like makes me wanna try Black-Ish again...okay well maybe not.
  • Jeffrey and Maxine (Erika Alexander) had great chemistry.
  • Jeffreyand Sterling were like actual brothers.
  • Jeffrey and the Boricua dude were hilarious.
  • Mom/Agnes - wow. I pray that y'all don't have to see a family member deteriorate like that, but I have, and will probably see some more - but she knocked it out of the park.
I'd be very happy to watch these folks do something else together. It's a shame this won't get much burn. The Color Purple has done 55M, and this is looking at 3M...smh.

If there is a critique on the family side of the story - Lorraine and Maynard - ummm certain trope that I thought we wuz tryna get away from, suh. But they were still the moral center of the show. So much love there. I wonder if this was something that was long brewing...that might have been the implication.

Cinematography/Direction
  • A lot of solo shots of Geoff could have been paintings
  • There was "Tragedy by the Sea" shot, and I'm assuming the director/DOP/Cin did that on purpose
  • The Brown v. Board of Education photo was hilarious, although I"m not sure I get the point of it.
  • The photos on the walls, the decor, they really nailed it.
  • On the direction side of things - that Keith David scene was really good. Reminded me a bit of how RZA produces in the Wu Tang series.
Compared to The Book of Clarence - which might overlap on the subject matter by 5% - this is a much better put together movie. They are both very good, and to some extent TBoC was a bit more ambitious than this. However, I definitely liked AF more.

This was a great movie. It would have made my top 10 if I saw it last year.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
To echo some of the thoughts

The "A" story itself - we've seen it before, and most of us have had this debate online DAILY.

Overall - The Hollywood Shuffle/Bamboozled aspect was second place to the family drama. The random clueless white people/extras from Get Out/NPR listeners - they were on the screen and also in my audience - that was funny to an extent. Clowning white folks, liberals or MAGAS, Kendrick Lamar in the Streets and Toby Keith in the White sheets - that gets very old to me.

The Black movie montage was side splitting.

I didn't mind the speechifying in the middle of it. Whoever was writing for Issa's side didn't really come with it though. Though I do wonder if there's something meta about Issa's pov.

I think to anyone that watches it, the white/black part of the movie is the "B" story. The actual A-story is the family story.

There's a bit of "Our Kind of People" vibe in the background, but it's not forefront. (Lawrence Otis Graham).

I definitely did not expect the Lorraine aspect of it. I was already fearing for her when I saw her.

The interactions/acting
  • Jeffrey was great. I wondered if there was some meta commentary on one his last joints - O.G. (2018) ⭐ 6.2 | Drama
  • Tracee and Jeffrey had great chemistry. Like makes me wanna try Black-Ish again...okay well maybe not.
  • Jeffrey and Maxine (Erika Alexander) had great chemistry.
  • Jeffreyand Sterling were like actual brothers.
  • Jeffrey and the Boricua dude were hilarious.
  • Mom/Agnes - wow. I pray that y'all don't have to see a family member deteriorate like that, but I have, and will probably see some more - but she knocked it out of the park.
I'd be very happy to watch these folks do something else together. It's a shame this won't get much burn. The Color Purple has done 55M, and this is looking at 3M...smh.

If there is a critique on the family side of the story - Lorraine and Maynard - ummm certain trope that I thought we wuz tryna get away from, suh. But they were still the moral center of the show. So much love there. I wonder if this was something that was long brewing...that might have been the implication.

Cinematography/Direction
  • A lot of solo shots of Geoff could have been paintings
  • There was "Tragedy by the Sea" shot, and I'm assuming the director/DOP/Cin did that on purpose
  • The Brown v. Board of Education photo was hilarious, although I"m not sure I get the point of it.
  • The photos on the walls, the decor, they really nailed it.
  • On the direction side of things - that Keith David scene was really good. Reminded me a bit of how RZA produces in the Wu Tang series.
Compared to The Book of Clarence - which might overlap on the subject matter by 5% - this is a much better put together movie. They are both very good, and to some extent TBoC was a bit more ambitious than this. However, I definitely liked AF more.

This was a great movie. It would have made my top 10 if I saw it last year.

it's going to get an Oscar nod, and probably a win, which is of course a deep deep irony in itself. it's a potential for best picture and a few more. Best director, best adapted screenplay, best performance.

The Lorraine and Maynard was a romance they had been carrying on the entire time the family had that house is my interpretation. I could see myself picking this book up at the used book store.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Great movie. Definitely will be in my top 5 for this year. Story, casting, and direction were A1.

The Johnny Walker scene really explained what the director was trying to say:

This was a movie that offered all of things people want to see in those Tyler Perry/Soul Food type of movies, (family drama, “big momma” being sick, etc) but in a much better and complex manner.

It was Johnny Walker Blue Label compared to the Tyler Perry’s cheaper red label garbage :yeshrug:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Great movie. Definitely will be in my top 5 for this year. Story, casting, and direction were A1.

The Johnny Walker scene really explained what the director was trying to say:

This was a movie that offered all of things people want to see in those Tyler Perry/Soul Food type of movies, (family drama, “big momma” being sick, etc) but in a much better and complex manner.

It was Johnny Walker Blue Label compared to the Tyler Perry’s cheaper red label garbage :yeshrug:

This is such a great point. I was going to say that this movie cleverly disguises a black family drama in a character study.

I had to watch this movie bootleg, I don't want to watch it with an audience of white people and the only theater playing it a hour away.

Urbanmiracle

Brooklyn the planet...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn son
4.9 stars. Really great film. The jokes hit. The message was great and delivered beautifully. The best movie I’ve seen in a while. Everyone did their thing. I might run it back for a second viewing. Jeffery Wright was my neighbor for a few years in Brooklyn. Really cool dude. He was hilarious in this. And Sterling K Brown stole every min he was on the screen. Go see this shyt. NOW