Amazing Level Design

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
Wanted to take a moment to appreciate dope level design. I'll start by highlighting what inspired the thread and one of my 2021 GotYs, Hitman 3. The Dartmoor Manor. Brehs, they could've easily made an entire game around this one stage :ohlawd:. It's so meticulously crafted and there are innumerable ways to complete the mission. I've replayed it several times (I never do this) and I recommend the game on this alone. Next is the Clockwork Mansion of Dishonored 2. The way the level dynamically shifts depending on the levers you pull. And then there's Crack in the Slab a few missions later. People want to talk about R&C: Rift Apart :unimpressed:and its so-called dimension switching but D2 is the pinnacle of this sort of mechanic and it didn't need PS5 "blast processing" to make it work. My last mention is Titanfall 2 :blessed:. The Effect and Cause mission is like Edge of Tomorrow distilled into video game form. Blew my mind at the time and remains a masterclass in level design.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Level Design? :leon:

Hitman definitely killed it.

Retaking Drezen in Pathfinder was :wow: but I know only myself and a dozen others even played that game. Special shoutout to Destiny 2 for really making the most out of the new tools. Europa is an outstanding open area for the kind of game D2 is and Presage is a great step overall. The last few dungeons have been great experiences too.

Replaying ME this year was a pleasure :lawd:

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Wanted to take a moment to appreciate dope level design. I'll start by highlighting what inspired the thread and one of my 2021 GotYs, Hitman 3. The Dartmoor Manor. Brehs, they could've easily made an entire game around this one stage :ohlawd:. It's so meticulously crafted and there are innumerable ways to complete the mission. I've replayed it several times (I never do this) and I recommend the game on this alone. Next is the Clockwork Mansion of Dishonored 2. The way the level dynamically shifts depending on the levers you pull. And then there's Crack in the Slab a few missions later. People want to talk about R&C: Rift Apart :unimpressed:and its so-called dimension switching but D2 is the pinnacle of this sort of mechanic and it didn't need PS5 "blast processing" to make it work. My last mention is Titanfall 2 :blessed:. The Effect and Cause mission is like Edge of Tomorrow distilled into video game form. Blew my mind at the time and remains a masterclass in level design.
Whose alias are you? You’ve been registered in this forum since 2013 and only over 500 posts?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Clockwork mansion is kind of unmatched.

Also the ashtray maze in control. Overall Dark souls trilogy is a masterclass of interwoven level design.

1d92fb96-bd7c-4290-a82c-0e975beb4e09.jpeg

Allen Poe

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans --> Las Vegas
Whose alias are you? You’ve been registered in this forum since 2013 and only over 500 posts?

:dahell:
sometimes people forget about this site and just find their way back. I registered here 6 years ago when the site I used to post at was going downhill, posted like once or twice, and didn't come back until July of last year :yeshrug:

Last edited:

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Witcher 3 probably my favorite, each city was unique and they were all massive.

I remember playing the game and thinking wow this shyt is big, and then I realized that was only Velen.