Am I in the minority that thinks Dexter...

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
For me, the most painful part of Dexter was the lost potential. I think all of us watched season 1 thinking is could be one of the GOAT shows of all time.

Perfect match of character and actor. Perfect setting in Miami with it and Cuban culture bringing a character in its own right.

All they had to do was not change the character and not make the show about whether or not he gets caught.

Instead make it about his interactions at work with his normal cases (blood spatter is interesting), and the interactions at night with the other serial killers.

I would have watched 18 seasons of that.

I agree with most of what you're saying but there was no way in hell this show would or should last past 6 seasons at most. Eventually nobody ever catching on or the people that did catch on dying would get old.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I actually liked season 3. I thought the Miguel character brought an interesting antagonist to the show, that was different for Dexter.

I thought season 3 was dope too. Especially compared to any season after 4. I understand people saying Dexter would never reveal his secret to Prado but the cat and mouse game they had was grade A TV.

:wow:

The writers also learned from season 3 and created a character the delivered on his threats (Trinity), unlike Prado.

Fred.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're right, there was grade A fukkery between Dexter and Miguel in season 3.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

The Oracle

Expat
Daps
Reppin
the world
I agree with most of what you're saying but there was no way in hell this show would or should last past 6 seasons at most. Eventually nobody ever catching on or the people that did catch on dying would get old.

Fred.
You're probably right, I just feel they could have minimized that element of the show, and focused more on the serial killers and Dexter's dual life. The bay harbor butcher story line with the Lundy and the FBI getting involved could have been the final season, not the 2nd.

Season 1 Dexter was portrayed as very careful and extremely calculated, one step ahead of everyone. There was no real feeling that he could be caught.

Miami metro was portrayed as bumbling and ineffective, it's leaders more worried about politics than catching criminals, and his own father taught him all their techniques.

The one guy who was suspicious (Doakes), was a great character to add an element of danger, but the Dexter they presented would never have to worry about a cop like that, because regardless of how spot on his hunch, he could never prove it.

As the show went on Dexter makes more and more out of character mistakes, acting in rash and emotional ways that a true sociopath would not act. It felt like a writer projecting their feelings of what weaknesses a sociopath would have, without truly understanding the disorder.

His character was interesting because he operated at a level most people could not. He sees people clearly, because he removes the clouding factors of emotional attachment. But the more we saw him act just like everyone else (empaths), the less congruent the character became to me, and I lost interest.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I was out after season five; never watched another episode. :yeshrug:

I've said it numerous times, but when Deb let Dexter go in the season five finale, that was unforgivable. The show was working towards Deb finding out who Dexter truly was and they avoided it just to milk the series. I knew it was gonna be bullshyt after that.

Such a waste of potential, but the first four seasons are still up there with just about any show ever made.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I watched Dexter since the original air date of the very first episode when no one knew what the hell the show was. Those last few seasons were fukking PAINFUL, I didn't even watch the fukking finale cuz I don't even give a fukk.
i started watching it by watching the wire

most people never caught it... but during season 4 or 5, dookie is in the crib watching tv when mike walks in

"yoooo mike you gotta check out this show... it's about this serial killer but he only kills other serial killers"

right then i'm like

:mindblown: did HBO just let their original series characters, plug another fukking show, on a competing network :dahell:

shyt HAS to be good.... so i started watching

shyt definitely went all the way downhill and off a cliff into the fiery pits of hell

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
i started watching it by watching the wire

most people never caught it... but during season 4 or 5, dookie is in the crib watching tv when mike walks in

"yoooo mike you gotta check out this show... it's about this serial killer but he only kills other serial killers"

right then i'm like

:mindblown: did HBO just let their original series characters, plug another fukking show, on a competing network :dahell:

shyt HAS to be good.... so i started watching

shyt definitely went all the way downhill and off a cliff into the fiery pits of hell
i literally just happened to be watching hbo at the time the very first episode premiered. it was pure luck, i was like a junior in highschool i think. I just saw that it was about a serial killer and I was already interested, and it blew me away.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
You might be one of the few.

I thought it fell off hard and the finale was terrible (one of the worst ever, in my opinion)
Dexter post season 4 is on the level of Keeping up with the Kardashians as far as I'm concerned (Yes, I had to sit through a few episodes :snoop:)

Anyone who doesn't think otherwise is just holding on because they love the Dexter character...that shyt was damn near unwatchable after season 4. I held on because I wanted to see how it ended...and they couldn't even end it right.

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
The last two seasons were the fukking WORST.

I'm not one of those that is fully committed to after season 4, the show became shyt

Nah, it wasn't that bad... but the last two seasons were the fukking WORST.

Look at Breaking Bad when the real bad guy was revealed to the cops, that shyt was epic.

When Dexter was revealed to his sister, I thought they were gonna fukk each other literally.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
I just remember the story line of Deb falling in love with Dexter :mjlol: then trying to drown him :lolbron:
Screen-shot-2013-07-23-at-6.41.54-PM-1024x290.png

Cut to two episodes later they're chilling on the sofa watching TV on some 'how bout them Jets :troll:' shyt like nothing happened.