Am I in the minority that thinks Dexter...

LastManStanding

Veteran
Daps
The older female character that they brought in for season 8 was terrible and of course the ending was weak as most everyone would agree. with that said overall it was still a great and unique show that was a fun watch.

some people greatly exaggerate the whole "it fell off" talk. sure, seasons 1-4 were the strongest, but seasons 5-7 were still solid and better than most of what's on TV now.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
but seasons 5-7 were still solid and better than most of what's on TV now.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck no. :dead:

If you mean random ass shows ok....but it's not a random show. It's on premium cable and it's supposed to be a prestige drama....it's not even better than what's on basic cable now, like "Fargo" or "Mr. Robot". If you go into premium cable route with "The Knick", "Game Of Thrones", etc. it's even worse.

Hell, season 5-7 wouldn't even be the best serial killer based show in 2015. "Hannibal" was on NBC and is light years ahead of "Dexter" seasons 5-8, at the very least.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
As far as the thread itself, I was a die hard "Dexter" stan back on SOHH.

I had to tap out around the start of season 7 because it was so awful. The show basically dove off a cliff after season 4.

Fred.

LastManStanding

Veteran
Daps

Hell, season 5-7 wouldn't even be the best serial killer based show in 2015. "Hannibal" was on NBC and is light years ahead of "Dexter" seasons 5-8, at the very least.

that's fine. we all have opinions :pachaha:

season 6 can be argued either way no doubt, but seasons 5 and 7 were both praised by the critics. season 5 received multiple Emmy nominations including Best Drama Series.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
It goes:

1. Season 2
2. Season 4
3. Season 1
4. Season 7
5. Season 3
6. Season 6
7. Season 8
8. And season 5 was god-awful in my book

I mostly agree with this order, except I would do:

1. Season 1 - Dexter himself was at his best. The supporting cast got better in later seasons, but its not about them.
2. Season 4
3. Season 2
4. Season 7 - Isaak Sirko was my third favorite character on the show, after Dexter and the Trinity killer.

5. Season 3 - Did everyone forget how terrible this was??
6. Season 5 - I don't remember hating it, but I don't remember it at all really.
7. Season 8
8. Season 6 - The absolute worst. The last two seasons were an improvement over this, this is when I was thinking of dropping the show. EVERYONE saw the "twist" coming, and dismissed the possibility as too predictable for them to go through with. Just garbage.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

If you mean random ass shows ok....but it's not a random show. It's on premium cable and it's supposed to be a prestige drama....it's not even better than what's on basic cable now, like "Fargo" or "Mr. Robot". If you go into premium cable route with "The Knick", "Game Of Thrones", etc. it's even worse.

Fred.

Hannibal actually lowered my opinion of Dexter overall (and made me regret even watching the first season of "The Following" at all).

The Oracle

Expat
Daps
Reppin
the world
For me, the most painful part of Dexter was the lost potential. I think all of us watched season 1 thinking is could be one of the GOAT shows of all time.

Perfect match of character and actor. Perfect setting in Miami with it and Cuban culture bringing a character in its own right.

All they had to do was not change the character and not make the show about whether or not he gets caught.

Instead make it about his interactions at work with his normal cases (blood spatter is interesting), and the interactions at night with the other serial killers.

I would have watched 18 seasons of that.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I enjoyed the show seasons. I just hated the whole deb falling in love with Dexter part:scusthov:

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Season 3 was a harbinger of what was to come in later seasons. Someone like Dexter should've never brought anyone into his world much less a fukkin ADA to not only know what he was, but participate in his killings. That friendship he built with Miguel made him weak and vulnerable.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Hannibal is a good show? Never checked for it

"Hannibal" is a great show. The first half of season 1 is a bit too procedural with "case of the week" type stuff but after that it's excellent TV. And has some of the best cinematography in TV history.

Fred.