Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Nope. I've played a bunch of Sony games in the past though, and outside of a few cases(japan studio), their publishing arm has always been derivative.

I'm talking about from the ps1 til now.

They start with a concept whereas most of the goat games start with a mechanic.

Not saying their games are all bad or anything, at all though.

What I am saying is that GG will probably keep being upstaged until they rethink their development process.

Something like Portal would almost never come out of such a mindset.

all it boils down to is timing, it released in two years where it wil lget nominated for a GOTY and lose to bigger franchises, zelda/elden (souls)/GoW. If i had to guess it will probably come in top 3 with awards by the end of the season

if it released last year it would have 100% won GOTY, GG doesn't really have to do anything, they are doing fine growing their IP into a blockbuster 20m+ franchise. They'll probably sell even more when it gets adapted into a show or movie

a lot of devs wish they could do the numbers this franchise is doing right now. It's a great selling, and fun game that most people that are actually playing it right now are enjoying.

The elephant in the room is most people picking up elden ring solely because of the metacritic number wont make it past the first boss. Horizon is more suited for a larger audience and thats fine. You're talking as if GG failed with this game when its an 88 on MC and 89 on OC. It will be in the top selling and top rated games of the year. There might be 3 other games that score higher than it for the remainder of the year

Last edited:

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
all it boils down to is timing, it released in two years where it wil lget nominated for a GOTY and lose to bigger franchises, zelda/elden (souls)/GoW. If i had to guess it will probably come in top 3 with awards by the end of the season

if it released last year it would have 100% won GOTY, GG doesn't really have to do anything, they are doing fine growing their IP into a blockbuster 20m+ franchise. They'll probably sell even more when it gets adapted into a show or movie

a lot of devs wish they could do the numbers this franchise is doing right now. It's a great selling, and fun game that most people that are actually playing it right now are enjoying.

The elephant in the room is most people picking up elden ring solely because of the metacritic number wont make it past the first boss. Horizon is more suited for a larger audience and thats fine. You're talking as if GG failed with this game when its an 88 on MC and 89 on OC. It will be in the top selling and top rated games of the year. There might be 3 other games that score higher than it for the remainder of the year

Timing? Hzd could get goty in a weaker year, true but that says more about the year than horizon.

My response was solely directed at the wish for Horizon to get it's due.

I say critically, it seems to have gotten that.

Commercially, I'd say it probably overperformed, and no I'm not talking about the fugazi 20 million sold claim.

It's a game where the only thing that recommends it is honestly the setting/trappings and graphical gloss n art design(which is dope).

I wouldn't expect it to be a shaker, which the most vaunted games tend to be.

But Sony has cultured its loyal fans to expect what they've put out, so I expect at least 7 million viable sales of HFW.

The ER difficulty claim is true though. Most won't get deep into the game.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Timing? Hzd could get goty in a weaker year, true but that says more about the year than horizon.

My response was solely directed at the wish for Horizon to get it's due.

I say critically, it seems to have gotten that.

Commercially, I'd say it probably overperformed, and no I'm not talking about the fugazi 20 million sold claim.

It's a game where the only thing that recommends it is honestly the setting/trappings and graphical gloss n art design(which is dope).

I wouldn't expect it to be a shaker, which the most vaunted games tend to be.

But Sony has cultured its loyal fans to expect what they've put out, so I expect at least 7 million viable sales of HFW.

The ER difficulty claim is true though. Most won't get deep into the game.

i don't even understand the argument you're making, you haven't played the game so you can't realistically comment on what its strengths and weaknesses are. The game is dope, its fun, and its made more for a casual game hence all the accesibility and difficulty features. It will sell well just like the last game.

just say its not your cup of tea and move on

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
i don't even understand the argument you're making, you haven't played the game so you can't realistically comment on what its strengths and weaknesses are. The game is dope, its fun, and its made more for a casual game hence all the accesibility and difficulty features. It will sell well just like the last game.

just say its not your cup of tea and move on

I don't need to have played the game myself to get a feel for its mechanics.

To master it, sure but to get a gist of play? That's fairly easy.

My sole point is that this pattern of release and then swift brushing aside by other game in critical response which has happened twice in a row now, will be likely to continue as long as they're focusing on telling the story they see fit vs fostering the experience that others do.

The toylike nature of game design titans makes the world focused seem lesser by degrees, time after time.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don't need to have played the game myself to get a feel for its mechanics.

To master it, sure but to get a gist of play? That's fairly easy.

My sole point is that this pattern of release and then swift brushing aside by other game in critical response which has happened twice in a row now, will be likely to continue as long as they're focusing on telling the story they see fit vs fostering the experience that others do.

The toylike nature of game design titans makes the world focused seem lesser by degrees, time after time.

and how is that not equated to timing rather than anything the game is doing itself? There is no other way a game that releases next to a game that gets a 97 gets mindshare, no matter what the game is. You're trying to equate the success of elden ring to the "failure" of horizon and its already a flawed argument cause horizon hasn't failed. Its a criticial and financial success that just happened to release next to a game that scored way higher thus is gonna get more discussion.

It's rated the same score as last years GOTY winner.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
She definitely got murdered own her own shyt.

Which is so funny considering she dropped the same year as BoTW dropped too.

both of which (BoTW and ER) highlight how stale some of the design choices are for Horizon.

I like the horizon concept more tho. Fighting giant robo Dino’s is :wow:

Horizon lore is dope.

The reason why Zelda hits for so many people is the same for Batman. The greater the villain to defeat, the greater the hero and the legend they create. Ganon and The Joker are perfect villains.

Speaking of their games, still haven't played elden ring yet, installing now. Botw takes away a few tropes and such that relied upon by games and does it in a refreshing way.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
and how is that not equated to timing rather than anything the game is doing itself? There is no other way a game that releases next to a game that gets a 97 gets mindshare, no matter what the game is. You're trying to equate the success of elden ring to the "failure" of horizon and its already a flawed argument cause horizon hasn't failed. Its a criticial and financial success that just happened to release next to a game that scored way higher thus is gonna get more discussion.

It's rated the same score as last years GOTY winner.

You're right, that is timing. I guess I meant whether it comes out a week after or before or 8 months after/before, a game capturing the zeitgeist is an immovable object.

I never said that Horizon is a failure. Not in any sense.

I just said they'll have to aim for more grander an experience vs world as they've been doing.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Horizon lore is dope.

The reason why Zelda hits for so many people is the same for Batman. The greater the villain to defeat, the greater the hero and the legend they create. Ganon and The Joker are perfect villains.

Speaking of their games, still haven't played elden ring yet, installing now. Botw takes away a few tropes and such that relied upon by games and does it in a refreshing way.

Ganon compared to the Joker?:hhh: Are you fukking drunk?!

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
o4jds8ya5fl81.png

Even the Horizon devs are hurt.

Sony stans :mjlol:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Miyazaki came through snatching scalps :mjlol: every Stan gotta “take an L” eventually, whatever that means.

Sony nikkas can literally play both games today but some of y’all treating ER like an Xbox exclusive :bryan: (which is corny itself but I digress)

Already knew Larrybots would do the bolded

Lotta casuals gonna give up on ER because they can't get thru From games.