JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
Okay let's say you want to book an artist, whether this be a bigger artist or a smaller underground artist.

I'll use an example like the Suicideboyz, because even though I don't listen to that shyt I know they make a lot of money in a lot of markets and they don't cost too much.

You get somebody who has to a decent understanding of the local music scene and throwing a concert/event:
  • what type of artist can do good numbers out there, (this is even easier now because Shazam and Soundcloud have analytic tools showing what the most looked up song in each city are etc. etc),
  • what venues will let you book the artist
  • how much can each venue hold
  • whether you'll need security or not for the type of fan base you'll be bringing out, and how much that'll cost
  • Renting and setting up stages/barricades if needed.
  • cost of promotion, etc etc etc
There are hundreds of young nikkas in any city that can be molded into this role for you, or you can find one that's already doing his thing at a smaller level and just needed somebody to give him the stimulus check to move up.

Back to the example, an underground rap group like the suicideboys can easily sell 1000 tickets in a lot of markets. And they have white, suburban fans that will happy pay 50-60 dollars a ticket. 60x1000 = 60k, and their going booking rate for a show is usually 15-20k. Promotion and venue cost for a 1000 people show, plus security gonna be like another 3-10k based on how you do it. But regardless that's anywhere from 30-42k profit from a small show for a relatively unknown rap group that has a niche fan base.

The biggest issue for most nikkas trying to get into the concert shyt is the cash to book the artist, venue, security, etc. Most people don't have 10s of thousands of dollars laying around to invest in a rap show, and the ones that do usually don't just hang around local music scene and college kids to know what artist can make money and how to throw a show. But if you got like 4-5 people you know that good with money and can save up, they each pitch in a percentage of the total cost to throw the show in return for an equivalent percentage of the profits when its all said and done.

You can even start lower and still make a killing if you got somebody with an ear to the streets for all these small bubbling artist, my bro/partner was telling me about a dude named "yung/lil pinch" I never heard of before. But apparently he consistently pulls out 300-500 people at like $30 a ticket, in them small Cali towns around LA and his booking rate is $1500 right now. That's potentially 9000-15000 off a $1500 investment, who can't get 2500 together for the total cost to possibly make $15000, or at least definitely make a profit?

:jbhmm: you got them wheels turning in my head. Ima have to soak all this up.
Preciate the game Breh. + repped

Best thread on the coli by the way

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
Can you elaborate on how this is done and what roadblocks you came across?
As far as roadblocks, man, major cities be sewn the hell up.

I'm from Houston and it's damn near impossible to book most popular rap artist if you aren't this Jewish couple that owns a company called Scoremore, or Rap-A-lot affiliated.

Dudes like Chance, Big Sean, Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, Wiz don't book with anybody who isn't Scoremore.

Dudes like Drake, Meek Mill, Kevin Gates, Migos don't book anything in Houston that isn't sanctioned by Rap-A-lot.

So me and partner had to start going on the road to places like Arizona, Michigan, Ohio to find these markets that really got a lot of fans but people forget they exist.

Also, a lot of venues are  :mjpls: when it comes to rap shows. For the Migos show we just did, we originally had a venue that could hold 7000 people and we were pretty confident we could sell it out, but the venue found out that the Migos had a shooting at one of their concert in Vegas recently or something and was like :whoa:

They cancelled our booking, we had to scramble and get a new venue, the new venue was a public city-owned venue so they were on some stiff shyt too, but luckily the little white boy we fukk with in that town had a plug to another white boy, whose mom was in charge of that venue. :lawd: She was mad cool, we assured her that we were gonna pay for enough police presence and we were going for a college kid market not a market that will bring shooters. After the show, she was damn near gonna suck me and my bro dikks because she was so impressed with how we handled the shyt.

There are so many local jokers that fukk up the rep of hiphop shows, venues are scared to book them because they associate them with violence, chaos, and unprofessionalism. nikkas be getting starstruck in the midst of these rappers not checking them and making sure the keep it professional, they be chasing hoes during the shows when they supposed to be keeping people from getting backstage, not respecting the rules of the venue.

nikka I've been around these rapper since age 19, I'm 24 now, I damn near hate rappers. I have little tolerance for the bullshyt and I'm not a square nikka. Most these rappers will respect you if they know they can't punk you, they be punking these cacs and peons. Once they realize they aren't dealing with a hoe nikka or a male bop they or their managers will usually switch their whole tone. And the cacs that run these venues will fall in love with you because you bring them that rap money they lowkey want without the bullshyt that comes with it. I'm not saying that you gotta be a street nikka, but just remember that these rappers are entertainers, not the guys that they rap about. But, it doesn't hurt to be able to bring out nikkas that are gonna handle shyt in a worst case scenario. Hell, if you aren't from that cloth, hire an big ass off duty cop to act as your personal security and they'll calm down quick.

Speaking of cops, fukk the police, BUT THE POLICE ARE YOUR BIGGEST FRIENDS IN THIS BUSINESS. If you know that you might bring out a rowdy crowd do not skimp on paying for police presence. They love events like this because they be getting like 100+ an hour to secure these shows, we spent around 11-12k to have 20 off-duty cops to work for 6 hours. But it was worth it, they being taking orders like soldiers because they want you to call them again for your next show and they can make that easy money again. The whole dynamic changes when you're cutting their check. Treat them with respect and they'll usually reciprocate it.

I swear this shyt isn't that hard, nikkas just be holding the game for themselves on some greedy shyt like everybody can't eat off this shyt. A lot of the simple stuff I'm telling nikkas on here, nikkas would hold on to for dear life. Then again it's so easy to make money in it, they want to keep it from becoming common knowledge.

The show we just did was actually supposed to make me like 135-165k initially, but the venue switch fukked that up a bit, and to make things worst the cops and management started to get :mjpls: :whoa: when so many people showed up for a hip-hop show, we were supposed to be allowed to bring out 5500 people and they capped us at 4000. That was a disappointment. Then the show almost got shut down because too many local ass bops (male and female) were on the stage. Once the cops told me they were gonna shut it down if the stage didn't clear, I damn near started throwing nikkas off stage like Uncle Phil. That would have been a total disaster and a complete loss on my investment.

Last edited:

OH SOHH TRILL

Trill OG
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Screwston
Okay let's say you want to book an artist, whether this be a bigger artist or a smaller underground artist.

I'll use an example like the Suicideboyz, because even though I don't listen to that shyt I know they make a lot of money in a lot of markets and they don't cost too much.

You get somebody who has to a decent understanding of the local music scene and throwing a concert/event:
  • what type of artist can do good numbers out there, (this is even easier now because Shazam and Soundcloud have analytic tools showing what the most looked up song in each city are etc. etc),
  • what venues will let you book the artist
  • how much can each venue hold
  • whether you'll need security or not for the type of fan base you'll be bringing out, and how much that'll cost
  • Renting and setting up stages/barricades if needed.
  • cost of promotion, etc etc etc
There are hundreds of young nikkas in any city that can be molded into this role for you, or you can find one that's already doing his thing at a smaller level and just needed somebody to give him the stimulus check to move up.

Back to the example, an underground rap group like the suicideboys can easily sell 1000 tickets in a lot of markets. And they have white, suburban fans that will happy pay 50-60 dollars a ticket. 60x1000 = 60k, and their going booking rate for a show is usually 15-20k. Promotion and venue cost for a 1000 people show, plus security gonna be like another 3-10k based on how you do it. But regardless that's anywhere from 30-42k profit from a small show for a relatively unknown rap group that has a niche fan base.

The biggest issue for most nikkas trying to get into the concert shyt is the cash to book the artist, venue, security, etc. Most people don't have 10s of thousands of dollars laying around to invest in a rap show, and the ones that do usually don't just hang around local music scene and college kids to know what artist can make money and how to throw a show. But if you got like 4-5 people you know that good with money and can save up, they each pitch in a percentage of the total cost to throw the show in return for an equivalent percentage of the profits when its all said and done.

You can even start lower and still make a killing if you got somebody with an ear to the streets for all these small bubbling artist, my bro/partner was telling me about a dude named "yung/lil pinch" I never heard of before. But apparently he consistently pulls out 300-500 people at like $30 a ticket, in them small Cali towns around LA and his booking rate is $1500 right now. That's potentially 9000-15000 off a $1500 investment, who can't get 2500 together for the total cost to possibly make $15000, or at least definitely make a profit?

I appreciate your hustle, but as a lawyer, I'll say I hope you have an umbrella policy and you're doing the show under an LLC. shyt go bad and you're going to be in a lawsuit like :mjcry:

Last edited:

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
I feel security was created by hackers and we are in a reactive mode. Those with certs are still involved but right now it's open game. Lots of women are in it due to being in compliance and risk but at the end of the day it's a few giants that supply security and most of them were hackers themselves.

When I am not at the gig and if I remember I'll type something better.

I got into it by luck and but with experience speaking to executives. That's my role.
Yea... Im gonna need more details on how you got into that. I got a degree in MIS and I'm trying to get out of this Systems Analyst job because Im pretty sure I'm underpaid. Problem is I don't have any other type of experience and I don't want to continue to do be a Systems Analyst somewhere else.

My ideal roles are Business Analyst or Project Manager, but I can't get my foot in the door. They keep telling my experience is "too technical." And I'm not even a coder/true programmer, lol.

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
I appreciate your hustle, but as a lawyer, I'll say I hope you have an umbrella policy and you're doing the show under and LLC. shyt go bad and you're going to be in a lawsuit like :mjcry:
Yea, I got my LLC set up with my partner, lol.
I already know the risk with that shyt.

But what's a umbrella policy breh? We got a lawyer that draws up our contracts and shyt, but I would like to know more.

OH SOHH TRILL

Trill OG
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Screwston
Yea, I got my LLC set up with my partner, lol.
I already know the risk with that shyt.

But what's a umbrella policy breh? We got a lawyer that draws up our contracts and shyt, but I would like to know more.

Umbrella is an insurance policy that covers anything any other policy doesn't cover. If you got he LLC, you're 90% of the way there.

• Dap
Reactions: OsO

Mr. 1nighter

On my grown man steeze
Daps
Reppin
Columbus
Yea... Im gonna need more details on how you got into that. I got a degree in MIS and I'm trying to get out of this Systems Analyst job because Im pretty sure I'm underpaid. Problem is I don't have any other type of experience and I don't want to continue to do be a Systems Analyst somewhere else.

My ideal roles are Business Analyst or Project Manager, but I can't get my foot in the door. They keep telling my experience is "too technical." And I'm not even a coder/true programmer, lol.
If you looking to move. There is a SA role open right now 60-63 per hour

Railroadpaid

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
SHECAGO
Damn that's filthy. Props. I worked in corporate positions at a railroad for 3 years and there were conductors/engineers that were making more than most of the corporate staff. I was cool with one and he was making 90K at 23-24 (this was back in 2004).

I couldn't imagine making that much money at that age. I'd be acting a damn fool.
Appreciate it! I started at 19. I immediately was acting like a drug dealer brand new everything new car biggest rims, all the newest kicks jewelry all that wit no kids...bytches was all on a nikka...and was able to buy a crib at 24. I be trying to tell nikkas who not good in school or dont know what they wanna do in life to go towards the blue collar work because at the end of the day they will pay you! And its alot of dudes I work with chasing other career goals and use the railroad checks to finance it (school, businesses, real estate etc.) Me and my girl about to franchise a couple resterants next year. If any coli ppl from chicago or surrounding areas looking for a gig hit me up. The railroad always hiring

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I was actually thinking of going into this. I used to work in Event Hosting and liked the whole flow of people and materials. When I did a little studying it said you could start out in Logistics and work up into SCM. Is it worth it? Probably gonna go back to school for a business degree anyway.

It is worth it if you want to change careers. If you can go back to school and study it, great. If not, take the CSCP it only requires a bachelor's or three years related experience and some tests. That will look awesome on your resume. Also, depending on where you are, start to go to the local chapter meetings of APICS or ISM or CSCMP to network. They have test prep classes too.