Daps
Reppin
SoFla
How long after getting your jd did you open your own firm?

I worked for a mid-size firm doing civil litigation when I got out of school; handled a lot of business/contract disputes, etc. but I knew immediately that it wasn't my thing. Couldn't really do much at the time because I had bills so I stuck it out for about a year and a half before I started slowly doing some things on the side (personal injury cases, contract drafting and review, etc.) before I had enough saved up to safely go out on my own.

Got licensed with a title insurance underwriter and opened up a title company shortly thereafter. These days, like 80% of the work coming through my law firm stems from stuff that arises out of the title company. So it's a lot of real estate document drafting/review, short sale negotiation, foreclosure defense, lien and code enforcement mitigation, etc.

I'm blessed in that I really enjoy what I do and I NEVER have to go to court, which was a pain in the ass for me. My office essentially runs on autopilot as I have staff in place that basically do everything, I just review and manage at this point. All my office files and stuff are in the cloud so it allows me to travel whenever I like and I'm still able to get work done as if I was in the office, which is amazing.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
To my coli 1 percenters:
if you're gettin 6 figures or more, what is your career or what do you do to generate income?
whats your education level?
How many certs do you got outside of a diploma?

If u close to 6 figures but not quite there, whats your next move to get over the hill?

200k doing IT Consulting at a Fortune 100
few certs
BS in IT
I live in an expensive city, so it only goes so far. trying to get this training biz off the ground to escape the corporate grind

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
As far as roadblocks, man, major cities be sewn the hell up.

I'm from Houston and it's damn near impossible to book most popular rap artist if you aren't this Jewish couple that owns a company called Scoremore, or Rap-A-lot affiliated.

Dudes like Chance, Big Sean, Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, Wiz don't book with anybody who isn't Scoremore.

Dudes like Drake, Meek Mill, Kevin Gates, Migos don't book anything in Houston that isn't sanctioned by Rap-A-lot.

So me and partner had to start going on the road to places like Arizona, Michigan, Ohio to find these markets that really got a lot of fans but people forget they exist.

Also, a lot of venues are  :mjpls: when it comes to rap shows. For the Migos show we just did, we originally had a venue that could hold 7000 people and we were pretty confident we could sell it out, but the venue found out that the Migos had a shooting at one of their concert in Vegas recently or something and was like :whoa:

They cancelled our booking, we had to scramble and get a new venue, the new venue was a public city-owned venue so they were on some stiff shyt too, but luckily the little white boy we fukk with in that town had a plug to another white boy, whose mom was in charge of that venue. :lawd: She was mad cool, we assured her that we were gonna pay for enough police presence and we were going for a college kid market not a market that will bring shooters. After the show, she was damn near gonna suck me and my bro dikks because she was so impressed with how we handled the shyt.

There are so many local jokers that fukk up the rep of hiphop shows, venues are scared to book them because they associate them with violence, chaos, and unprofessionalism. nikkas be getting starstruck in the midst of these rappers not checking them and making sure the keep it professional, they be chasing hoes during the shows when they supposed to be keeping people from getting backstage, not respecting the rules of the venue.

nikka I've been around these rapper since age 19, I'm 24 now, I damn near hate rappers. I have little tolerance for the bullshyt and I'm not a square nikka. Most these rappers will respect you if they know they can't punk you, they be punking these cacs and peons. Once they realize they aren't dealing with a hoe nikka or a male bop they or their managers will usually switch their whole tone. And the cacs that run these venues will fall in love with you because you bring them that rap money they lowkey want without the bullshyt that comes with it. I'm not saying that you gotta be a street nikka, but just remember that these rappers are entertainers, not the guys that they rap about. But, it doesn't hurt to be able to bring out nikkas that are gonna handle shyt in a worst case scenario. Hell, if you aren't from that cloth, hire an big ass off duty cop to act as your personal security and they'll calm down quick.

Speaking of cops, fukk the police, BUT THE POLICE ARE YOUR BIGGEST FRIENDS IN THIS BUSINESS. If you know that you might bring out a rowdy crowd do not skimp on paying for police presence. They love events like this because they be getting like 100+ an hour to secure these shows, we spent around 11-12k to have 20 off-duty cops to work for 6 hours. But it was worth it, they being taking orders like soldiers because they want you to call them again for your next show and they can make that easy money again. The whole dynamic changes when you're cutting their check. Treat them with respect and they'll usually reciprocate it.

I swear this shyt isn't that hard, nikkas just be holding the game for themselves on some greedy shyt like everybody can't eat off this shyt. A lot of the simple stuff I'm telling nikkas on here, nikkas would hold on to for dear life. Then again it's so easy to make money in it, they want to keep it from becoming common knowledge.

The show we just did was actually supposed to make me like 135-165k initially, but the venue switch fukked that up a bit, and to make things worst the cops and management started to get :mjpls: :whoa: when so many people showed up for a hip-hop show, we were supposed to be allowed to bring out 5500 people and they capped us at 4000. That was a disappointment. Then the show almost got shut down because too many local ass bops (male and female) were on the stage. Once the cops told me they were gonna shut it down if the stage didn't clear, I damn near started throwing nikkas off stage like Uncle Phil. That would have been a total disaster and a complete loss on my investment.

As a Houstonian for 10+ years, I found this much needed and appreciated. :salute:

I've been getting a bit restless trying to branch out and expand my sources of income.

I did everything the "right way" in the conventional sense: I'm 31, masters degree, 110k/year, but shyt ain't been fulfilling. Not complaining because clearly people be strugglin out here with far less but at the same time feels like there's so much untapped potential that i'm missing out on and i hate that feeling.

I actually opened up an LLC and was doing minor stuff like personal training / boot camps as a side thing, but still feels i can do bigger/better than that. I notice the club promotion game in htown and how a number of asians/arabs be the ones who actually own the buildings/clubs.. but with how some spots be closing down so fast, that whole hustle seemed sketchy, esp with how saturated it already feels like in Houston.

But with what you mentioned about these flyover states... :jbhmm: and by making money just off promoting the concerts at the venues... it definitely gets the wheels spinning.

But, question: are you constantly on the road though for these flyover state concert promotions? Or pretty much phone conversations until the booking is secured and then you guys drive/fly over the day of the event?

It does seem like a good amount of front end work in securing a solid team with money on them, getting the right connections and a solid plan down but the benefits seem to be worth it.

knickscrusaderm

lead by example
Daps
Reppin
dark butts
As a Houstonian for 10+ years, I found this much needed and appreciated. :salute:

I've been getting a bit restless trying to branch out and expand my sources of income.

I did everything the "right way" in the conventional sense: I'm 31, masters degree, 110k/year, but shyt ain't been fulfilling. Not complaining because clearly people be strugglin out here with far less but at the same time feels like there's so much untapped potential that i'm missing out on and i hate that feeling.

I actually opened up an LLC and was doing minor stuff like personal training / boot camps as a side thing, but still feels i can do bigger/better than that. I notice the club promotion game in htown and how a number of asians/arabs be the ones who actually own the buildings/clubs.. but with how some spots be closing down so fast, that whole hustle seemed sketchy, esp with how saturated it already feels like in Houston.

But with what you mentioned about these flyover states... :jbhmm: and by making money just off promoting the concerts at the venues... it definitely gets the wheels spinning.

But, question: are you constantly on the road though for these flyover state concert promotions? Or pretty much phone conversations until the booking is secured and then you guys drive/fly over the day of the event?

It does seem like a good amount of front end work in securing a solid team with money on them, getting the right connections and a solid plan down but the benefits seem to be worth it.
Whats ur degree in blood

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Whats ur degree in blood
Instructional design.

Basically "training" but a bit more specialized/technical depending on the industry you're in. Like designing process instructions for operating various rig equipment, if you're hired onto an oil and gas company.

It's a solid market for it, esp in Htown b/c of how big the energy market is, but you def have to be in that 5 year exp mark.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
For example, a recruiter I've known for a bit hit me up not too long about an expatriate gig in the middle east for a huge energy company. 200k/year, tax benefits and room/board covered.

But that would mean living in one of those military compound communities (with other USA expatriates) and more importantly dropping every side venture i've been plotting on until I came back in a few years. The money is tempting to an extent but for me it's not worth the stress/relocation and what I would be leaving / putting on hold. At least i don't think :patrice:

DirtyMoney

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For example, a recruiter I've known for a bit hit me up not too long about an expatriate gig in the middle east for a huge energy company. 200k/year, tax benefits and room/board covered.

But that would mean living in one of those military compound communities (with other USA expatriates) and more importantly dropping every side venture i've been plotting on until I came back in a few years. The money is tempting to an extent but for me it's not worth the stress/relocation and what I would be leaving / putting on hold. At least i don't think :patrice:
Couldn't do it. Too many laws out there.

Rout3r2035

Superstar
Daps
Finishing up law school (45 days left)

got a 95 plus bonus (10-20) job lined up for July with a top national business law firm

If ure gonna do law, do it well

What tier law school did you graduate from, if you don't mind me asking?

scorpino

Love Yourz
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Government/contracting (Don't ask won't disclose:francis:)

B.A

No certs

Military veteran (have to mention it because the networking door the military can open is uncanny).....most important info I can give honestly:manny:

This is true. I work in transportation and make 100k or slightly more a year. My only qualification is that I served in the military. Not gonna lie I didn't really like the military while I was in but looking back now it was the best decision I ever made.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I just switched jobs/careers

Was an engineer, now I'm a senior data analyst

Salary is not 6 figures.... but with my side business inshallah this year I will be.

Networking is so key... they did not post the job I got, some people I interviewed with and built a rapport with reached out to me out of the blue.

Edub

Veteran
Daps
This is true. I work in transportation and make 100k or slightly more a year. My only qualification is that I served in the military. Not gonna lie I didn't really like the military while I was in but looking back now it was the best decision I ever made.

Facts breh ....I liked PARTS of my military stint....and HATED parts, but the after effect i don't think I could've gotten anyway else. Reason I tell young brehs I know go in and do school that way. But you're right, many times a degree isn't even needed, just that experience and networking angle.....it's a great foundation for building.

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
:ohhh:

Currently do operation research for the DoD....looking to move to a bigger market.

I need to think of a side hustle...