This ain’t it

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Why don't you think capping it is the right solution? It's an option and it will pay for itself many times over.

I just said that I don't know, because I've never studied the issue. I personally don't know how effective capping is, whether there are unintended negative consequences, etc. I usually have some degree of background in an issue before I comment on it and I've never looked into this particular solution for this one. On the west coast highways are virtually always above ground.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
You're creating a strawman no different than his.

You're both attempting to paint a broad brush to remove valid and nuanced criticism.

What "valid and nuanced criticism" did I paint with a broad brush? I criticized a Coli hardhead making a ridiculous point.

His actions were performative.

When people feel like they are being sabotaged and their ability to do good has been blocked, then performative actions are often all they are reduced to. Most protest is performative (including a great deal of the CRM), and that can be very effective in the right circumstances.

"Performative" is only a slur when people who have actual power choose it over doing the right thing.

Ironically, you've said many times you're thankful you're parents raised you in the American community you grew up in.

There was clearly something alluring about America they were unable to get in Nigeria.

Goddamn you really want to keep showing you're a POS. We went straight from "Leave America if you don't like it" to "America can't be that bad if you came here from Africa!"

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Also the meme he posted is such a terrible response to the initial meme it's referencing. The idea that you should only act on your principles when it's easy to do so because you have ample ability is...such a shytheaded sentiment. You should be acting on your principles at all times, especially when it's difficult. That's the entire point of having principles. These neoliberals are just dumb cowards who mistake having credentials and proximity to power for being right(eous).

Breh, an enormous guiding principle of neoliberalism is that you only do the "right thing" after you've ensured that life is completely comfortable for you and your clan and are sure that taking a moral stance won't negatively impact your bottom line. Just look at what the posters in question focus on and how they spend their time personally.

That ain't a bug of the philosophy, it's a feature. :skip:

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I just said that I don't know, because I've never studied the issue. I personally don't know how effective capping is, whether there are unintended negative consequences, etc. I usually have some degree of background in an issue before I comment on it and I've never looked into this particular solution for this one. On the west coast highways are virtually always above ground.

coward

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Great insight into how AOC's fundraising goes into her district organizing and cycles back.

Last week, Emma Vigeland, co-host of Majority FM, shared the following:

“Under-the-radar story: Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and Summer Lee were all state reps before getting elected to Congress. They had institutional support within their state parties to fend off AIPAC.
Jamaal Bowman and Cori Bush did not.”
Indeed, the correlation between institutional support and winning elections — much in line with the thesis of this piece — is undoubtedly important for the left to consider going forward. However, perhaps the most important case-study and lesson on this front rests with the high-profile “Squad” member not mentioned by Vigeland.

There was a time in the not so distant past, where many powerful interests fancied making newly-elected Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez a one-term Congresswoman.

Less than eighteen months removed from defeating two-decade incumbent, Rep. Joe Crowley, critics posited that Ocasio-Cortez’s upset was a fluke, the result of lower voter turnout and Crowley’s apathy and disengagement. Opposition research books were pushed to the press — during her first term, the New York Post mentioned the House freshman in over seven hundred and fifty articles (including an astonishing twelve AOC-based stories in one day). While her district included the younger, and increasingly-left Western Queens enclaves of Astoria, Sunnyside and the Jackson Heights historic district — the remaining working class pockets, which Crowley failed to make inroads with and ultimately turn out to vote, held remarkably little progressive infrastructure, particularly in the Bronx portion of the district.

New York’s State Party Chair, Jay Jacobs, openly criticized Ocasio-Cortez for hurting Democrats in swing districts — back then, there was no primetime DNC speech from the polarizing freshman for him to fawn over. Opponent Michelle Caruso-Cabrera, a former Republican and CNBC's first Latina anchor, would ultimately spend close to three million dollars. Even a narrow victory would have precipitated serious trouble — a scenario Ocasio-Cortez herself outlined in an Instagram Live days after the election — given the following cycle held the wild-card of redistricting, and with it, the potential for a tsunami of outside money.

So, what did Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez do?

Upon her election to Congress, freshman Rep. Ocasio-Cortez had — after accounting for rent, travel, and utilities – slightly more than three-hundred thousand dollars in staffing budget per quarter. While Members of Congress with high-ranking positions on powerful committees — namely those with the most seniority — are afforded extra cash, Ocasio-Cortez lacked such luxuries. Much of this budget is traditionally concentrated on the Congressional Staff in Washington D.C. — in turn, squeezing the member’s district office, which in this case, spanned two boroughs.

In the district office — particularly within one of New York City’s highest-need, lower-income districts — responding and addressing constituent casework, especially with respect to all things immigration (New York’s 14th Congressional District has one of the highest immigrant populations in the United States), consumes the majority of the staff time. Not to mention dealing with constant volume of out-of-district phone calls ranging from confused (but otherwise harmless) cranks to hostile death threats — all owed to their member’s burgeoning national profile.

However, this dynamic, because of its overwhelming nature and never-ending volume, was conducive to a reactive approach to interacting with the district. After hammering Crowley for his absence, Ocasio-Cortez — now the most visible Member of Congress, herself marooned in the nation’s capital for much of the year — needed to be proactive.

While Ocasio-Cortez could count on NYC-DSA, the Working Families Party, Make The Road Action and a host of other progressive-aligned organizations to throw down — nowhere more so than across the emerging leftist stronghold of Western Queens — the political interests and institutions who long-controlled Bronx politics skeptically eyed the talented freshman. To counter these existing institutions, Ocasio-Cortez would have to create her own institution.

Thus, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, flush with cash — she was, after all, the left’s most prodigious non-Bernie Sanders fundraiser — assembled a year-round campaign team that would be rooted in many different neighborhoods throughout her Congressional district.

However, these organizers were not deployed to aimlessly knock doors. Instead, they were tasked with not only building, but strengthening key relationships — among faith leaders, small business owners, county committee members, and potential surrogates and volunteers — across the two-dozen neighborhoods that made up the Fourteenth District mosaic. As the COVID-19 pandemic devastated working class communities in the Bronx and Queens, while Caruso-Cabrera attacked Ocasio-Cortez on Fox News, Team AOC pivoted to food distribution and mutual aid. Through Team AOC, one of those organizers, Jonathan Soto, helped establish a program that brought free one-on-one tutoring at the height of the pandemic to hundreds of families across the district.

This important base-building work, normally compressed into the final months of a campaign — if even done at all — was finally given room to properly breathe. Not only were these efforts beneficial to the communities of New York’s 14th Congressional District, it was also smart politics.

When the voters of New York’s 14th Congressional District cast their ballots — in the highest turnout primary this millennium — Ocasio-Cortez was re-elected by a margin of fifty-six percent, winning seventy-four percent of the vote in total. Of the district’s four-hundred precincts, the individual blocks each home to thousands of New Yorkers and hundreds of voters — she lost only four.

This strategy and it’s key ingredients — year-round organizing to cement relationships, which when combined with earned media can help inoculate against attacks, anchored by the financial resources to sustain such exhaustive work – not only helped Ocasio-Cortez thrash Caruso-Cabrera, but has dissuaded future challengers from even attempting to defeat her.

By no means is this a one-size (or one district) fits all approach. Undoubtedly, Ocasio-Cortez is blessed with significant financial advantages, chiefly, the ability to consistently and organically fundraise millions from grassroots donors sans call time, a derivative of her immense celebrity. Nonetheless, the foresight of both her and her campaign team — as well as the underlying fundamentals of their plan — remain sound. To this day, Ocasio-Cortez continues to do year-round organizing work through her campaign across New York’s 14th Congressional District.

Overlooked in the fanfare that follows Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wherever she goes, is the importance, effectiveness, and resonance–of this work.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Breh, an enormous guiding principle of neoliberalism is that you only do the "right thing"
:russ:
These are the complaints of the protestors. They are upset they can't get their cake and eat it too.

Just like it's on politicians to earn your vote, it's on the protestors to bring people to their side.

:ohlawd::whew:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
What "valid and nuanced criticism" did I paint with a broad brush? I criticized a Coli hardhead making a ridiculous point.
You do it everytime you post by framing any and all criticism as invalid and not nuanced merely because you disagree.

Then you cloud it inside a strawman and a wall of text hoping folks fall for the bait and allow you to pivot from the points you can't counter.

Back in the day I used to get in the mud with you, but I realized you're just a miserable guy here trying to use debate tricks to appear right to offset some other insecurities.

And it drives you mad when folks won't let you dictate the terms and framing of the argument. :Royumad:

10 months later and you haven't won over anyone. :mjlol:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
You do it everytime you post by framing any and all criticism as invalid and not nuanced merely because you disagree.

Then you cloud it inside a strawman and a wall of text hoping folks fall for the bait and allow you to pivot from the points you can't counter.

Back in the day I used to get in the mud with you, but I realized you're just a miserable guy here trying to use debate tricks to appear right to offset some other insecurities.

And it drives you mad when folks won't let you dictate the terms and framing of the argument. :Royumad:

10 months later and you haven't won over anyone. :mjlol:

As usual, you're saying nothing. Not a single actual point on the subject or cited example of your claims, just vague stock insults. And then you have the audacity to talk about "debate tricks".

NOWHERE in this discussion did I dismiss any nuanced criticism. NOWHERE in this discussion did I post a "wall of text". NOWHERE in my posting have you ever given an example of where I was driven by "insecurities". And you stopped debating me because you regularly got embarrassed, as I only chose to debate you on matters I knew something about, while you repeatedly pick fights on shyt that you know nothing whatsoever about beyond defending the position of your political allies.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Yea, you're just arguing just to argue because you're in another thread arguing what you're arguing against here:

You should have thought through that example further. The most disruptive protests were in 1968 (famously and specifically during the DNC too), and they helped lead to Nixon winning the election in a landslide and basically ending the Civil Rights Movement.

I agree with not waiting, but it has to be strategic.

The 1968 protests did not help the Black community, full stop. It's doesn't matter whose "fault" they were, the point is that they were not an effective means of improving the situation of Black America.

There was a marked difference between the pre-1968 protests, which galvanized support for the Black community, and the 1968 protests, which galvanized support for those who violently police the black comunity. Being able to recognize that difference and strategize around it is essential.

Go drink some tea nikka.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Yea, you're just arguing just to argue because you're in another thread arguing what you're arguing against here:

Is your reading comprehension that bad, or are you just that disingenuous? Quote ANYTHING I've said in this thread that contradicts what I said in that thread.

Even IN THAT THREAD, I said that the protesting was good and shouldn't stop, but it should be strategized to be effective. MLK Jr.'s Poor People's Campaign that he was planning for 1968 was a well-strategized protest that had potential to be effective, the violent disruptions of the DNC were not.

Where have I contradicted that principle here at all? Most of what I said is that you "Leave America if you don't like every single thing we do" a$$holes sound like right-wingers.