Al Gore: Africa needs “fertility management” to prevent overpopulation and “extreme weather”

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Contraception key in climate change fight: Gore and Gates
Text Size
Published: Friday, 24 Jan 2014 | 8:45 AM ET
By: Jeff Cox | Finance Editor
Twitter
LinkedIn

Davos 2014: Roundup of big events
Friday, 24 Jan 2014 | 12:00 AM ET
CNBC's Jeff Cox does a roundup of some of Davos' big events this week.
Stopping overpopulation is one way the dangers of climate change can be mitigated, according to two of the most prominent believers in global warming.

Former Vice President Al Gore and Microsoft founder Bill Gates said at the World Economic Forum in Davos that contraception is a key in controlling the proliferation of unusual weather they say is endangering the world.

"Depressing the rate of child mortality, educating girls, empowering women and making fertility management ubiquitously available ... is crucial to the future shape of human civilization," said Gore, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 for his work on global warming.

Gore said Africa's population is expected to surpass India's and China's by the mid-21st century and will be more than both combined by the end of the century.

101361593-464806295-1.530x298.jpg

Eric Piermont | AFP | Getty Images
Former Vice President Al Gore listens during a session in Davos on Jan. 24, 2014.
(Read more: U2's AIDS-fighting Super Bowl plan)

Though Gore said corporations collectively are coming around to the dangers of global warming—a condition that has been the subject of fierce dispute—they still too often treat the atmosphere "like an open sewer."

"These extreme weather events which are now 100 times more common than 30 years ago are really waking people's awareness all over the world, and I think that is a game-changer," he said.

Likewise, Gates said progress is being made, particularly in terms of managing their way through natural disasters.

(Read more: How the 'Internet of things' could affect health care)

He, too, made a pitch for birth control as a way to reduce excess population that generates pollution, which in turn creates unusual weather events.

"If you get the health improved, if you get the availability of contraceptives, then families will voluntarily choose to have less children," Gates said.

Both men spoke as the U.S. East Coast battles a brutally cold, snowy winter—while the weather at Davos, Switzerland, actually has been warmer than usual.

CACs stay at wanting depopulation.

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave
doesnt africa create less pollution than the u.s.????...

That's because Africa is less industrialized.

They're just trying to speed things up. They started depopulating Africa long ago

I'm convinced AIDS was man made.

Gore said Africa's population is expected to surpass India's and China's by the mid-21st century and will be more than both combined by the end of the century.

Surely I can't be the only person here who believes comparing the population of an entire continent to a country is unfair.

They've successfully promoted the global warming myth and now they're using it to slowly extinct black people. Nice.

Population of China (a country): 1.351 Billion
Population of India (a country): 1.237 Billion
Population of Africa (a continent): 1.033 Billion

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
I'm not familiar with these specific posters individually but I was under the impression that HL was mostly liberal? Kinda weird to see anti-liberal posts here.
I used to post in HL more, but its overrun with trolls. now i just come in to troll also every now and again...

for the record I think all politicians are lying scum and anyone who completely hitches their wagon to one party is a moron.