After winning Oscar, writer Cord Jefferson says that there is an audience for new & different depictions of Black people in the film industry

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjgrin: I mean hes correct but lets keep it 100 those Hollywood producers dont want black folks on screen to be a prism of different masculine characters :stopitslime: its not just 50 and tyler perry behind how the characters are one dimensional
They said that when Black Panther and Get Out came out. since then we got Snowfall, BMF and a whole Power multiverse. :unimpressed:
:myman:Both you are right at the end of the day it is not the 50 cents or tyler perrys that are stopping different types of black movies or tv shows from getting funding it white people in positions of power in film and tv that are doing that :mjpls:

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
Watched last night...

First, dope movie and even better score.

I find myself loving these types of movies that deviate from what he spoke of (slave, gangster flicks). Movie relates to so many and can potentially serve aspirationally and inspirationally.:wow:

Last edited:

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Must it always be the off white black people in entertainment with the "profound" speeches? He looks like the other off white black person, what was his name Jesse something who left his wife to go pawg when his career took off.
Mans is 40 yrs old and it’s literally his first screen play and he ends up winning an Oscar for… Give breh some dap

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:manny: People gonna support what they wanna support at the end of the day. Saw the movie, wasn't impressed. Main character came off like the exact type of person I can't fukking stand.
You disliked Jeffrey Wright's character but not Issa Rae's character?

Why?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Finished it earlier today. Film was about a 7.5 Wright was great like he usually is. Leslie Uggams was excellent.
Had to look up the book that it was adapted from, Erasure. That book came out during the rise or height of Urban Light/Street Lit and I have an idea of the writers and books that are being parodied by Issa and Wright's book. hehehehe

Maxine Shaw and Carlito's cousin are good in this too.