After 6 years of development and $500 million, the Halo engine has been retired.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Maybe a couple of years down the line, they might not want to step on toes so soon after the acquisition, but let's be real how many PC games use idtech that aren't id games or get help from id? The Evil Within? Brink?:skip:

Not great examples, I'm disappointed they're abandoning slipspace I like when studios create new engines it's good for gaming.

idTech went internal with iteration 5 (2010??), but there's still lineage of it in various places. CoD engine, Source, whatever Titanfall and Apex Legends were cobbled together with in modern times.

I figured if they wanted to make better use of the money-to-engine relationship, they do have something with high acclaim sitting in one of their studios now. But, weighing the contractor thing it's just apparent they want what's best in current-cost savings rather than longer term. Even though they are probably absorbing Raven Software (perennial idTech users), they're mentally settled with Unreal.

As for licensing, it is an eventual wish. Though my bigger dream is to publish source code as they once did. But id stopped that once Carmack left...

Brehcepticon

Adeptus Brehstartes
Supporter
Daps
When do you think 343 is going to announce they're dropping support for Infinite?

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Its the ugliest engine in the industry. A complete disaster, 343 should be embarrassed. Halo Infinite is the ugliest AAA game ever made.

herearefirst_3217953b.jpg

halo-infinite-brute-Cropped.jpg
The game looks way better than these pics. It looked like shyt when they first showed it off but it looks pretty good now.

The graphics and gameplay isn't the issue with the game, it's the lack of content.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
i wish they just finish the fukking story already.... :what: :aicmon:
Bungie tried to end it. They were right to do so. At the very least move on from Master Chief and come up with a new main character in that universe. Kinda like how the Uncharted series is it continues will probably be Chloe's series or some other new character maybe.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Bungie tried to end it. They were right to do so. At the very least move on from Master Chief and come up with a new main character in that universe. Kinda like how the Uncharted series is it continues will probably be Chloe's series or some other new character maybe.
they tried to go new character route in 5, but don't think people liked it. I do think 343 should've created a new character when they took over the franchise because no matter what they do they can't make a master chief story better than the trilogy

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
they tried to go new character route in 5, but don't think people liked it. I do think 343 should've created a new character when they took over the franchise because no matter what they do they can't make a master chief story better than the trilogy
People will almost never like when you move on from an iconic character like Master Chief. Look at The Last of Us 2. People were outraged what happened to the previous main character. It's on the developer to make that change work.

I mean the alternative it to continue rehashing the same AI waifu storylines they been using. In the last game they literally used the same design and voice actor for the "new" AI waifu. It's just creatively bankrupt.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
People will almost never like when you move on from an iconic character like Master Chief. Look at The Last of Us 2. People were outraged what happened to the previous main character. It's on the developer to make that change work.

I mean the alternative it to continue rehashing the same AI waifu storylines they been using. In the last game they literally used the same design and voice actor for the "new" AI waifu. It's just creatively bankrupt.
I think next game they should give Master Chief a final send-off, and then find a new face for the franchise. I think they kinda fell into star wars trap of trying to use nostalgia to tell a new story when you're better off moving on.

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
This is where I'm at.

I'm a little tired with this "B-but we might lose the Halo feeeeeeel :sadcam:" or "Masterchief IS Halo"

Naw Masterchief is the white knight these boys hang close too. There's no reason why, at least in multiplayer, I can't use literally any other spartan to play as.

They need to stick chief as a cool ass NPC guiding you killing some shyt and call it a day already.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Halo universe is pretty deep, plenty of room for stories with other characters. Arbiter and Sgt Johnson are fan favorites.

People hated 5 because it made no sense and there was false advertising with Lockes story.

Halo 3 ODST and Halo Reach already proved you can drop a hot Halo game without Chief.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
If definitely time to retire Master Chief, 343 showed they can’t do anything with the character.
What could they possible do with him?

They tried just continuing the story with 4 and people didn’t like that.

They tried a new character with 5, and people hated that.

They tried a reboot basically taking chief and cortana back to Halo 1, and now people saying that wasnt good either.

I’ve said it before. 343i got the hardest job in gaming. The series means so much to so many people they end up chasing whatever the hell people are complaining about this week. And they will never catch up.

They should say fukk all that. Stop chasing peoples fandom and just make a good game. Let the chips fall where they may:manny: