After 6 years of development and $500 million, the Halo engine has been retired.

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
Maintaining that engine is probably costly. Seems like they want to cut costs.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY

hqdefault.jpg

merchandising always wins...:troll:

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
The engine was trash. Moving to Unreal is a good move. We all seen all those Halo Infinite vs Halo 5 comparison videos when the game dropped and how the game was missing so much detail that was in previous games.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Probably easier to transition to an engine members of the team have experience with as apposed to pulling people off id projects to teach them idtech. While Microsoft owns Zenimax I don't think it's as easy as just asking for whatever they want.

I figured since Blam!'s extension has been a money pit with little return on investment, why would MS continue to flirt with Unreal's royalties and licensing when they have something, basically for free, inhouse? I get Unreal's been ubiquitous. But I had a think about it. It's probably related to the contractor issue, and you're right. Anyone they pull might have some familiarity with Unreal before idTech, depsite idTech's higher permeation on PC, I think consoles are just overall less exposed to idTech or its descendants.

On that note, MS should open up idTech for licensing again. :jbhmm: Maybe not let that technology go to waste.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang

Here's what I can confirm, and that's I talked about this a week ago
Thing is, the battle Royal mode is unreal engine 3 and has been in development for close to 3yrs already. The campaign and multiplayer is not likely to change at first but who's to say how far they wanna go with it. Nothing is off the table but I guess it'll depend on how different the two modes are next year

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I wonder if they could've used the ID engine. Anyways, moving to unreal is probably the right move since it's a much better recruiting tool and can sort out their contractor issues. I just hope all of their work in forge gets thrown out because I've seen some impressive community creations.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
when they have something, basically for free, inhouse?
On that note, MS should open up idTech for licensing again. :jbhmm: Maybe not let that technology go to waste.
depsite idTech's higher permeation on PC

Maybe a couple of years down the line, they might not want to step on toes so soon after the acquisition, but let's be real how many PC games use idtech that aren't id games or get help from id? The Evil Within? Brink?:skip:

Not great examples, I'm disappointed they're abandoning slipspace I like when studios create new engines it's good for gaming.

Last edited: