Africans gon Afric: 'Ethnic cleansing under way' in South Sudan

Karb

Veteran
Daps
Shabab controls large tracts of rural land, they are not small pockets geographically. The further away you get from the major towns (Kismayo, Xamar, Baidoa) the more superifical the control is. Literally every other week, villages exchange hands when Ethiopia or other AMISOM countries decide to withdraw for whatever reason. They also maintain their capability to launch attacks in Xamar and other Southern cities. The country has zero chance to progress politically until they can be definitively defeated, and they are nowhere near that do not believe the headlines.

As far as the North yes its stable, but thats about it( and Galkacyo is worse than it has been in a decade). The status quo in North lends nothing to any sort of significant economic development for its people. Somalis in diaspora too often overstate how good it is back home. The mess of a political situation means nothing will significantly change in near future, if we're talking about actual quality of life for the population.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Are you seriously suggesting that northern Somalia is on the same level of South Sudan in terms of stability and economic development?
I'm not saying that it's the new York of Africa, but it's very stable and has experienced a lot of growth in the private sector since the war. Poor political leadership and corruption are the main obstacles that we face.

As for the South, then small skirmishes here and there cannot be compared to full-blown Genocide, which is what's going on in South Sudan.

I'm not painting a rosy picture of the situation, but let's at least agree that it's nowhere near as chaotic as South Sudan.. i mean.. wtf.. this shouldn't even be an argument lol..

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Are you seriously suggesting that northern Somalia is on the same level of South Sudan in terms of stability and economic development?
I'm not saying that it's the new York of Africa, but it's very stable and has experienced a lot of growth in the private sector since the war. Poor political leadership and corruption are the main obstacles that we face.

As for the South, then small skirmishes here and there cannot be compared to full-blown Genocide, which is what's going on in South Sudan.

I'm not painting a rosy picture of the situation, but let's at least agree that it's nowhere near as chaotic as South Sudan.. i mean.. wtf.. this shouldn't even be an argument lol..
I agree its not as chaotic as South Sudan and yes conflict in Somalia has always been low-scale since the 90s.

My point is that South Sudan comparisons are a very low bar and that the status quo in Somalia is still quite bad. I got sense you were tryna paint a rosy picture, but seems like I was wrong so we are on same page on that.

Northern Somalia's status quo shows you the limits to what stability and private sector can get you. You cant rely on private sector for major investments in infrastructure, for any decent wide spread education, for any decent healthcare etc. Combined budgets of PL and SL are less than small municipalities and the politicians are even looting that :mindblown: We will be stuck in a similar state till any serious progress happens on political front.

Karb

Veteran
Daps
I agree its not as chaotic as South Sudan and yes conflict in Somalia has always been low-scale since the 90s.

My point is that South Sudan comparisons are a very low bar and that the status quo in Somalia is still quite bad. I got sense you were tryna paint a rosy picture, but seems like I was wrong so we are on same page on that.

Northern Somalia's status quo shows you the limits to what stability and private sector can get you. You cant rely on private sector for major investments in infrastructure, for any decent wide spread education, for any decent healthcare etc. Combined budgets of PL and SL are less than small municipalities and the politicians are even looting that :mindblown: We will be stuck in a similar state till any serious progress happens on political front.

Yeah we definitely need political stability. There's only so far that you can go with private investments.

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Worldwar two was obviously 'tribal' only in a descriptive sense. You could have picked examples even as recent as Kosovo that could possibly be described as tribal. But even that's reaching IMO.

Max B

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
tdot
Dont overstate it breh, the South is not peaceful. Its not an all out warzone yes, but AS still controls a huge amount of rural territory and the hold the goverment and its allied militias have on it is very precarious. Somalia is stuck in a bad status quo politically for a very long time, while the politicians continue to be on a looting spree.

As long is there a Hutu president Somalia will never prosper.