Africans gon Afric: 'Ethnic cleansing under way' in South Sudan

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
The Great Lakes region lost 6 million (conservative estimate ) people between 1997-2003 due to wars and conflicts God knows how many were displaced. Most of the ICC suspects are accused of contributing to conflicts in that region. So I doubt it is the type of phenomenon you can find a lot of places in the world.
Lol. Isn't there currently a migration crisis fuelled by post Arab spring conflicts that is bringing widespread discontent and anger throughout Europe? Millions have been displaced since 2011. People on this forum just have a weird need to fetishise African affairs in all sorts of ways but just end up exposing ignorance

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
this is why its a fallacy to believe religion is the cause of war, conflict, bloodshed etc.

Tribalism is the cause

64 ethnic groups can not co exist because any small issue between individuals will spark a powder keg of tribal tensions and lead to shyt like this

Atleast with religion there is some unity among the population
Have you ever stepped foot in africa . and don't lie

ChatGPT-4

Superstar
Daps
I think you meant Sudanese gon Sudanese.......

It's a continent. Not a country.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Lol. Isn't there currently a migration crisis fuelled by post Arab spring conflicts that is bringing widespread discontent and anger throughout Europe? Millions have been displaced since 2011. People on this forum just have a weird need to fetishise African affairs in all sorts of ways but just end up exposing ignorance

When you talk about 6 million people dying and the number being or surpassing casualties from WWII and not trying to let that history repeat itself in post-conflict countries. I don't think that fetishizing it, I think it's reminding people of the recent history and hoping not to repeat it.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
My initial post highlighted the amount of conflict in that Great Lakes region is almost unparalleled in any other region of the world until you mentioned the Syrian crisis which was a fair point. I challenge you to find a conflict that has killed 6 million to 10 million people in a span of less than 10 years within the past 70 years (post WWII). You mentioned the Syrian crisis which the number of deaths does not even come close to what happened in the DRC/Central African region in the late 90s to 2003 during those years.

How is pointing out this in addition to what is happening in Burundi and what has been happening in South Sudan with the power struggle right now somehow fetishizing. It's calling it like it is. When you call it like it is and clear about the problem instead of trying to save face, you are more likely to solve the problems and learn from them than playing this game of "well there are conflicts in other parts of the world why aren't we critical of them?". Are you going to tell me we shouldn't be critical of African dictatorships because there are dictatorial regimes in other parts of the world like Russia?

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
I am all for being critical of them. In fact, your clarification above shows me I was wrong to initially respond to your post the way I did.

We should be highly critical of a lot that's gone on, even individuals like kagame, museveni, and to a lesser extent, kabila, who get an easy ride would probably not be looked at so favourably by the west if there was more sustained scrutiny of their actions in the past.

My beef with people on this forum is a constant fetishisation of black/African affairs as somewhat unique and/or detached from general world power structures. I don't think I've made my point as clearly as I would like and I need to go to work so haven't got time to be looking for direct quotes to support my assertion lol

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this is why its a fallacy to believe religion is the cause of war, conflict, bloodshed etc.

Tribalism is the cause

64 ethnic groups can not co exist because any small issue between individuals will spark a powder keg of tribal tensions and lead to shyt like this

Atleast with religion there is some unity among the population
Eh, no conflict can be explained through single lens. Tribalism isnt compelling enough either. Tanzania for example, has way more ethnic groups than South Sudan and roughly even number of Muslims and Christians, yet is much more socially cohesive than its neighbours. Politics, history, etc, all play a role.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am all for being critical of them. In fact, your clarification above shows me I was wrong to initially respond to your post the way I did.

We should be highly critical of a lot that's gone on, even individuals like kagame, museveni, and to a lesser extent, kabila, who get an easy ride would probably not be looked at so favourably by the west if there was more sustained scrutiny of their actions in the past.

My beef with people on this forum is a constant fetishisation of black/African affairs as somewhat unique and/or detached from general world power structures. I don't think I've made my point as clearly as I would like and I need to go to work so haven't got time to be looking for direct quotes to support my assertion lol

Yall are on the same page it seems and @Frangala definitely isnt on of those posters who is unaware of wider dynamics. His posts on African affairs are great.

Karb

Veteran
Daps
I live in an area of the UK that is heavily populated firstly by somalis, then Ethiopians and then spread between Jamaicans and other africans. Living in this type of place you really get to see why black doesn't mean much, ethnicity and culture means more. I was in a phone shop last week owned by a south Sudanese man. While I was there two old Somali men came into the shop loudly saying they need to charge their phone and then starting to ask the shop owner about the madness going on in his country but this man is a very reserved guy and he looked very uncomfortable. But at the time I just thought it funny a Somali would be saying that especially the tone he used. Its just a complicated group of issues

Southern Somalia is largely peaceful nowadays. Plus those dudes could've been from the North which has been peaceful since the mid 90's.

South Sudan is = Mogadishu in '91. Or Rwanda in the early 90's. A whole other level of fukkery.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Southern Somalia is largely peaceful nowadays. Plus those dudes could've been from the North which has been peaceful since the mid 90's.

South Sudan is = Mogadishu in '91. Or Rwanda in the early 90's. A whole other level of fukkery.

Dont overstate it breh, the South is not peaceful. Its not an all out warzone yes, but AS still controls a huge amount of rural territory and the hold the goverment and its allied militias have on it is very precarious. Somalia is stuck in a bad status quo politically for a very long time, while the politicians continue to be on a looting spree.

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin

I don't know what region of Somalia these men were from. Even though they may be coming from such fractious and violent places, the overwhelming majority of black Sudanese I have come across are very similar to other east africans in that they're reserved and polite people. Somalis not so much... But I got love for the Malis dem.

Karb

Veteran
Daps
Dont overstate it breh, the South is not peaceful. Its not an all out warzone yes, but AS still controls a huge amount of rural territory and the hold the goverment and its allied militias have on it is very precarious. Somalia is stuck in a bad status quo politically for a very long time, while the politicians continue to be on a looting spree.

Shabaab controls small pockets of South. Most of the South is quite stable.

The North has been stable for decades.

Karb

Veteran
Daps
I don't know what region of Somalia these men were from. Even though they may be coming from such fractious and violent places, the overwhelming majority of black Sudanese I have come across are very similar to other east africans in that they're reserved and polite people. Somalis not so much... But I got love for the Malis dem.

You saying we rude breh? :mjpls:

I'm not even gonna front I know exactly what you're talking about :mjlol:

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shabaab controls small pockets of South. Most of the South is quite stable.

The North has been stable for decades.

Shabab controls large tracts of rural land, they are not small pockets geographically. The further away you get from the major towns (Kismayo, Xamar, Baidoa) the more superifical the control is. Literally every other week, villages exchange hands when Ethiopia or other AMISOM countries decide to withdraw for whatever reason. They also maintain their capability to launch attacks in Xamar and other Southern cities. The country has zero chance to progress politically until they can be definitively defeated, and they are nowhere near that do not believe the headlines.

As far as the North yes its stable, but thats about it( and Galkacyo is worse than it has been in a decade). The status quo in North lends nothing to any sort of significant economic development for its people. Somalis in diaspora too often overstate how good it is back home. The mess of a political situation means nothing will significantly change in near future, if we're talking about actual quality of life for the population.