Africans gon Afric: 'Ethnic cleansing under way' in South Sudan

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
SUDAN.jpg

A UN commission on human rights in South Sudan has said a steady process of ethnic cleansing is underway in the country, involving massacres, starvation, gang rape and the destruction of villages.

On Wednesday, three commission members who had travelled around South Sudan for 10 days said they observed deepening divisions in a country with 64 ethnic groups.

"There is already a steady process of ethnic cleansing underway in several areas of South Sudan using starvation, gang rape and the burning of villages," commission chairwoman Yasmin Sooka told a news conference.

"The stage is being set for a repeat of what happened in Rwanda and the international community is under an obligation to prevent it."

The alleged ethnic cleansing comes after almost three years of fighting between government forces, rebel troops and allied militias. A political split between President Salva Kiir and his former deputy Riek Machar escalated into a military conflict in December 2013.

The conflict - which has killed tens of thousands, caused widespread hunger and forced three million people from their homes - has pitted Kiir's Dinka ethnic group against Machar's Nuer ethnic group and other groups suspected of supporting the rebels.

"You have so many different groups of armed actors, including the military who are talking about dealing with a rebellion and putting it down," Sooka told Al Jazeera in a separate interview.

"You have ethnic tensions because people have been displaced from their land based on ethnicity. Everybody believes that a military conflict is almost inevitable in different parts of the country."

:francis:

UN: 'Ethnic cleansing under way' in South Sudan

I guess all countries go through a civil war when forming. This is pretty disappointing though. Oil wealth and great fertile land (the breadbasket of Africa) between 8m ppl and still on the brink of starvation.

All that fighting to break away from the North.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
I'm not surprised seeing that most of the resources like Oil are in the south and not in the North.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rebel leaders make the worst politicians. After a 30 year war of attrition they think theyre personally owed and have earned everything the country has to offer. Its no coincidence all the African countries that had wars of liberation tend to have the worst leaders.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
Rebel leaders make the worst politicians. After a 30 year war of attrition they think theyre personally owed and have earned everything the country has to offer. Its no coincidence all the African countries that had wars of liberation tend to have the worst leaders.

Good point :ohhh:

They still have the ruthless zero-sum mentality of war.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
If I ran Ethiopia I'd just take that bih over and get that oil money, it's a part of OG Ethiopia anyway...:mjpls:

Sike naw, in all seriousness though both sides fukked up and are killing each other with a majority being the innocent bystanders swept into the madness. It's remarkable that South Sudan started with such high hopes with a great deal of resources but for whatever reason they've turned on each other. While I can definitely agree that leading rebel campaigns for an extended period can definitely skew your better judgment I can't help but to feel that they've at least been nudged into this a little bit by outside forces. South Sudan is the youngest nation on Earth and had the misfortune of being born in arguably the baddest neighborhood on the planet. Who's to say geopolitics didn't play a part? :patrice:

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
I live in an area of the UK that is heavily populated firstly by somalis, then Ethiopians and then spread between Jamaicans and other africans. Living in this type of place you really get to see why black doesn't mean much, ethnicity and culture means more. I was in a phone shop last week owned by a south Sudanese man. While I was there two old Somali men came into the shop loudly saying they need to charge their phone and then starting to ask the shop owner about the madness going on in his country but this man is a very reserved guy and he looked very uncomfortable. But at the time I just thought it funny a Somali would be saying that especially the tone he used. Its just a complicated group of issues

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

trix1234

Rookie
Daps
I live in an area of the UK that is heavily populated firstly by somalis, then Ethiopians and then spread between Jamaicans and other africans. Living in this type of place you really get to see why black doesn't mean much, ethnicity and culture means more. I was in a phone shop last week owned by a south Sudanese man. While I was there two old Somali men came into the shop loudly saying they need to charge their phone and then starting to ask the shop owner about the madness going on in his country but this man is a very reserved guy and he looked very uncomfortable. But at the time I just thought it funny a Somali would be saying that especially the tone he used. Its just a complicated group of issues

You live in north west london breh...:patrice:

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
This is crazy. Again the reason why "military" or rebel leaders should not be heads of states. But one more observation isn't it funny that Africans from X country can successfully co exist and living in multi-cultural industrialized Western country but cannot coexist with different ethnicities and cultures in their country of origin.