African food is so much better than Indian food it’s not even funny, so why does Indian food get all the love ?

What do you like more

• Indian food

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • West African food

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • East African food

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Lets compare the best dishes.
On the indian side you got .
Tandoori Chicken
hq720.jpg

You got curry (chicken or lamb or goat or fish usually)
also got butter chicken and lentil currys
46822-Indian-Chicken-Curry-103301-2x1-1-41bd5b8de7ed476ea3c1fc023168cf39.jpg

Samosa is good
My-Moms-Beef-Samosa-10-540x720.jpg

People like the Naan
Homemade-Naan-stack-1200.jpg

Round out the top 5 with Biryani
Lamb-Biryani.-Mutton-Biryani-Piping-Pot-Curry.jpg

These are the most popular indian dishes that i see most people eat.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I haven't had west african food yet

but east african food >>>>>>>>>

ethiopian doro wat
Doro-Wat-vertical-1.jpg
kenyan ugali and fish
4906-2022-08-09.jpg
somali rice and goat meat
a5620954-0370-4ed8-894a-a2182d0669ee-retina-large-jpeg

:wow:
Comparing that to East African Stuff posted,

What are the signature west african dishes?

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Accessibility and variety
Show me an west african restaurant that got more than 10 entrees on the menu
It's honestly like a handful of the same items. 3-4 soups, fufu, rice, and 3-4 proteins
Somebody recently asked me to rank mexican, jamaican, and indian food and I had a similar issue trying argue for jamaican food

lochead

All Star
Daps
Reppin
I'm from where Petey come from
Yt’s identify with Indians for some crazy reason and vice versa which is why they love their food, especially here in the US. Give me some GhanaIan jollof rice and peanut soup with with smoked fish over any Indian dish :ohlawd:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Yt’s identify with Indians for some crazy reason and vice versa which is why they love their food, especially here in the US. Give me some GhanaIan jollof rice and peanut soup with with smoked fish over any Indian dish :ohlawd:
White people don't have anything do with indian or african food. yall give them too much credit for everything.

KingSilver763

Rookie
Daps
Technically even though a lot of our stuff was co-opted. Most of our Soul Staples are the most mainstream foods to eat.

Fried Chicken - Trillion dollar industry, KFC the biggest fastfood place in the World even though only top 5 in the usa.
BBQ (IE the places that serve mac n cheese, Cornbread and greens with BBQ, clearly based on soulfood)
Wing spots (Hot Wings were famously invented by a breh, and i think Buffalo sauce was as well.)
That's before even mentioning just traditional soul spots.

So it makes sense for our stuff to get more love than the others. but in order for more african stuff to get poppin, i think a single country needs to take the lead. And they need to have similar menus across the country so people always know what to expect when eating one. Knowing what to expect leads to craving, people saying they in mood for such and such food. Africa as an entire continent is too wide a net for specific cravings to work.
Bruh what do you mean by co opt ?

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Bruh what do you mean by co opt ?
Meaning people that have no connection to the culture that created these dishes are profiting the most off of it.
Like recently a white owned booba tea company got some controversy for cultural appropriation.
Unfortunately in our case its so normalized most people don't believe its cultural appropriation anymore and try to cap like its a southern thing
But realistically seeing a non black owned fried chicken place should be seen just as inauthentically as when people see a non asian owned chinese place.

Last edited: