African culture: Ethiopias and eritreas cultural/ethnic diversity appreciation thread

Raptor

All Star
Daps
Reppin
World
I'm ha
Everyone mad icy, are these people wealthy or something?
Their ancestors were very wealthy people who controlled international trade into Ethiopia after axum became irrelevant to the international markets as a result of Arabs monopolising the Red Sea trade routes . Harar became a major african trading post in the islamic empire. Persians, Arabs and Indians came to harar to strike it rich as Harar was the largest marketplace in Ethiopia and a gareway to SSA. It was also a place of scholarship. It was amongst the richest city in islamic East Africa next to Mogadishu. As a result, many families in harar who were business owners became rich. Gold was plentyful and jewellery was how families signified their wealth. These are the ancient jewellery of their ancestors. The city is now an impoverished backwater. A shadow of its former self.

Last edited:

Raptor

All Star
Daps
Reppin
World
harareasternethiopia4.jpg

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I've always thought the women were beautiful.

What's the economy and government like?

Raptor

All Star
Daps
Reppin
World
S
I've always thought the women were beautiful.

What's the economy and government like?
It's
1. It's a dictatorship
2. Poor as fukk but growing fast (GDP 10 percent). Ethiopias economy was fukked up by decades soviet communism and the subsequent ethnic infighting and civil war with Eritrea. The ethiopian leadership failed to modernise the country

Last edited:

HideoKojima

DOOM, all capitals, no trick spellin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Georgia, Home of the trillest
I'm ha

Their ancestors were very wealthy people who controlled international trade into Ethiopia after axum became irrelevant to the international markets as a result of Arabs monopolising the Red Sea . Harar became a major african trading post in the islamic empire. Persians, Arabs and Indians came to harar to strike it rich as Harar was the largest marketplace in Ethiopia and a gareway to SSA. It was also a place of scholarship. It was amongst the richest city in islamic East Africa next to Mogadishu. As a result, many families in harar who were business owners became rich. Gold was plentyful and jewellery was how families signified their wealth. These are the ancient jewellery of their ancestors. The city is now an impoverished backwater. A shadow of its former self.
God Dammit at that last part. I'm surprised they didn't sell off the jewerly due to the conditions you mentioned. That's a very piece of information :ohhh:
Are there signs of potential Revitalization?

Raptor

All Star
Daps
Reppin
World
God Dammit at that last part. I'm surprised they didn't sell off the jewerly due to the conditions you mentioned. That's a very piece of information :ohhh:
Are there signs of potential Revitalization?
its a apart of their culture and there arent any skilled goldsmith in harar anymore. Its a lost art. Plus its used as a hedge/security now days in the country, as inflation was at crazy levels during the nineties and early 2000's and banks demanded gold instead of the devalud birr currency. One of my friends family opened up a business in the city of dire dawa and they used their families ancient jewelery collection as securiity to secure the loan. The city is pretyy much dead, thought its probably going to be a huge tourist destination in the next couple of years. Most of th Adere people have moved to the major cities and leveraged their families ancient business knowledge and are doing well for themselves in the habesha provinces. The only people left in that city are the Oromos and Somalis.

Last edited: