African Americans who can pass as West Africans.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
^^Yall gotta chill with the trolling:mjlol:...back on topic though

For context

Nigeria

fR6joFa.jpg

Mali

RMy2C9g.jpg

Ivory Coast

gibwZTU.jpg

Gueniea

PDTrk3y.jpg

Ghana

XyiGDYu.jpg

Cameroon

S1bYOjM.jpg

Burkina Faso

FtPSzLl.jpg

Togo

oBtYPXE.jpg

Senegal

jecEMZ5.jpg

Angola

d4q48m9.jpg

vs

Aframs

5c2uWoY.jpg

4GU7Htv.jpg

Ps4KVKG.jpg

..............thoughts?

PinotNoir

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Funnily enough most west Africans aint rocking with Nigerians and Nigerians even have the term "akata" which doesnt even have an equivelent in other languages in west Africa.

:mjpls:

It may seem like Im coming hard on Nigerians but even though i know some good ones them and a few East Africans are the one i usually see on that :mjpls: towards AAs and other west africans yet the "african in america" sterotypes are usually based on the actions of Nigerians as they make up the bull of African immigrants you see in the West.
I've been told by other Africans that Nigerians are no good. The men especially be on some psychopathic shyt most times. I'll say this and I don't like talking about my private life on here but the man I'm seeing is from Cameroon but was born in France. He joked one day saying our uncles were running side by side from slavers, it's just that mines was caught because he wasn't faster...but they're (Nigerians) are getting their nikka wake up call being here in America, eventually that c00n stuff will have to die out.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
c00ning/arrogance towards your own goes hand-in-hand with being in close proximity with white people. Cacs been runnin in Nigeria heavy for decades. It's not a natural inclination...

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I've been told by other Africans that Nigerians are no good. The men especially be on some psychopathic shyt most times. I'll say this and I don't like talking about my private life on here but the man I'm seeing is from Cameroon but was born in France. He joked one day saying our uncles were running side by side from slavers, it's just that mines was caught because he wasn't faster...but they're (Nigerians) are getting their nikka wake up call being here in America, eventually that c00n stuff will have to die out.

Its just ironic Nigeria/Benin was known as the Slave coast and Nigerians tend to be the most on that :mjpls: time.

But people also gotta realize most Nigerians you see in America came on education visas compered to other Africans who come on say refugee status. Refugees are way more humble compared to immigrants on education or some type of work visa.

8 times out of 10 when someone is talking about a bad experience with a West African they are talking about their experience with a Nigerian. Nigerians already speak english and missionaries going there already conditioned them to thinl a certain way. Folks forget that Missionaries pretty much created that same southern church c00n mentality in africa that you see in America. Literally christian Africans are on that Ben Carson steeze which make it easy for them to come to america and think of AAs a certain way because they were conditioned to think its the AAs fault for theor problems the same way an AA c00n does with the whole respectability politics.

Its pretty sad when AAs and Africans say we aint the same and try to beef when i literally share common ancestors with black people in America and the Carribean. Like literally my great great great grand mothers sister could have been kidnapped brought to america and raped yet my ancestral cousin looks at me or i look at him like he is my enemy, its sick and sad.

I have seen slave logs where i found slaves with my name yet Im not suppose to see an AA as my brother? My mother went to elementary school that was literally next to a slave castle on the coast but she is not suppose to see an Afro Cuban as her sister?

At the end of the day you and your brother can have two different homes with different problems inside that house it still doesnt defeat the fact that is your brother and the least you owe him is to let him know you got his back.

This is why all this divisive mess on this site kills me because its coming from people who dont even have anything or want to contribute to the bigger goal. I just take note on these types because they arent even people id want to associate with and they have nothing to bring to the table when it comes to building.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Akata is not a diss, tho. Doesn't it mean "panther"?

It dont exist in my mother tongue :mjpls:

And i literally didnt know it was a term or thing until i rewatched the movie Sugar Hill a while back and my girl told me what it meant. It is supposed to mean or equate to cotton picker not sure if that is true but it is a negative way to describe AAs

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
What if they all are Americanized?
Africans are usually easy to tell but not West Indians ( excluding hispanics, haitians, and maybe trinadadians).

depends on the type of West Indian. You can't tell the difference for the most between medium features/complexioned WI and Aframs. The darker types stand out even against darker afram types most of the time though

cJgQZ2f.jpg

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Akata is not a diss, tho. Doesn't it mean "panther"?

Akata

Contrary to popular opinion among non-Yorubas and some Nigerians or Africans who does not understand this word, akata does not mean coton picker or slave and it is not derogatory.

It means a cat that doesn't live at home like a wild non domesticated cat, this is used to reference mostly African Americans as they are considered Africans by all Africans but the fact that they don't live in Africa make them akata while those of us who live at home can be considered as Ologbo (cat).

It is no different from an African American calling his buddies "cat" , it is just that the Yorubas recognize the fact that this is a cat that isn't at home.

I am Yoruba who also studied Yoruba in high school and have a better understanding of this word than any none Yoruba or Yoruba who have never studied Yoruba as a language.

It is also another word used to identify Africans who have visited America.

On a recent visit back to Nigeria, a friend was asked about the Iraq war and he directed the question to his friend another Nigerian who was visiting home from America.

" why are you asking me that?, ask the akata here , he can answer it"

The Nigerian have also become an akata because he no longer lives at home.

This is a Yoruba word and only a Yoruba can truly know what it means, for more information search online for Yoruba dictionary, then email the Yorubas listed on the contact page for meaning of akata and they may be able to help you further.

Akata
Akata is a slang sometimes used to describe Black/African Americans. It is also used to describe Africans who have lived in America for a considerable length of time.

• 'Akata' in Yoruba language means 'fox'.

[edit] Paul Adujie

A Nigerian residing in New York sees the use of the word in some ways akin to the derogatory '******' slang used by non blacks, in his words,- "I am AGAINST the use of the word Akata as a description, name or label for African Americans.... In my experience, the word Akata is used derisively and denigratingly.

African Americans and all peoples of African descent worldwide, are part of our continental African family tree. They are our siblings...they the bones of our bones, the blood of our blood and the flesh of our flesh. Denigrating peoples of African descent, is the moral equivalents of self-denigration! or self-loathing.

Nigerians in particular, should set the pace... in reconnecting peoples of African descent worldwide... to continental Africa... in view of Nigeria's size, Nigeria's wealth, level of higher education and Nigeria's potentials... Nigerians should be pacesetters for Africans and peoples of African descent worldwide..... Nigerians should not be one to coin disrespectful labels for Diaspora Africans... Nigerians should and ought to lead economically, politically, philosophically and culturally etc in relation to other continental Africans and all peoples of African descent. We are in the same boat... historically... a boat that apparently made different stops.

Continental Africans and all peoples of African descent have suffered the same cold hands of fate dealt us by history. From Slavery to Colonialism and racism etc

We are forever linked and we should be saying and doing things that unite us. We should be expansive and inclusive in our outlook."

Usage- The slang is more common among un-educated young Nigerians.

A full discussion on 'Akata' inspired by this page, in the most authentic Nigerian discussion forum can be found here- NigeriaVillageSquare

What is the real definition of the word "Akata" which is used by Nigerians in designating African Americans?
Best Answer: Simple Definition: The word akata is actually a word from the language of the Fanti tribe of West Africa.The word was later assimilated into the more popular Yourba language. Although, its basic meaning is "African American" but over time it has come to have derogatory connotations due to tensions between African immigrants and African Americans. The original word is not offensive and the resulting connotation is as a result of misunderstanding and miscommunication.

The term was popularised in Hollywood by the movie Sugar Hill.

The word akata is a Yoruba word, it is used for a cat that does not live at home, the cat that lives at home is called Ologbo or Ologinni,so by calling African Americans akata they are only implying that the African Americans are blacks that don't reside in the continent of Africa though it is often used to refer to African Americans because of the movie it can actually apply to any African Living outside of Africa ,the Yoruba's don't use it as a derogatory word, If a Yoruba called an African who is visiting Africa akata it rather confer some higher social status on them, having been to America (God's own country , as Nigerians call America).

Source(s): wikipedia - not the best I know

Akata - NigerianWiki
Urban Dictionary: akata
What is the real definition of the word "Akata" which is used by Nigerians in designating African Americans?

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Its just ironic Nigeria/Benin was known as the Slave coast and Nigerians tend to be the most on that :mjpls: time.

But people also gotta realize most Nigerians you see in America came on education visas compered to other Africans who come on say refugee status. Refugees are way more humble compared to immigrants on education or some type of work visa.

8 times out of 10 when someone is talking about a bad experience with a West African they are talking about their experience with a Nigerian. Nigerians already speak english and missionaries going there already conditioned them to thinl a certain way. Folks forget that Missionaries pretty much created that same southern church c00n mentality in africa that you see in America. Literally christian Africans are on that Ben Carson steeze which make it easy for them to come to america and think of AAs a certain way because they were conditioned to think its the AAs fault for theor problems the same way an AA c00n does with the whole respectability politics.

Its pretty sad when AAs and Africans say we aint the same and try to beef when i literally share common ancestors with black people in America and the Carribean. Like literally my great great great grand mothers sister could have been kidnapped brought to america and raped yet my ancestral cousin looks at me or i look at him like he is my enemy, its sick and sad.

I have seen slave logs where i found slaves with my name yet Im not suppose to see an AA as my brother? My mother went to elementary school that was literally next to a slave castle on the coast but she is not suppose to see an Afro Cuban as her sister?

At the end of the day you and your brother can have two different homes with different problems inside that house it still doesnt defeat the fact that is your brother and the least you owe him is to let him know you got his back.

This is why all this divisive mess on this site kills me because its coming from people who dont even have anything or want to contribute to the bigger goal. I just take note on these types because they arent even people id want to associate with and they have nothing to bring to the table when it comes to building.
:dahell:

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Um yes it is...

That's like saying Italian "moolie" is not an insult word because it originally meant eggplant.
they were giving the black panthers props and the meaning got lost over time. I'd rather be a panther.
I'm not the color of an eggplant...that's a diss from italians. Who wants to be a vegetable? it's not a diss TO ME.

Naijan

All outta Gill
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
You guys can't seem to keep Nigeria out your mouths especially cashmere, just because your country is irrelevant
doesn't mean you need to bring us up every thread