African American Dances by City

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
Also, if you’re going to hit up the Sip you gotta let me know and I can get you a list of everything you need to do down on the coast; from the clubs & lounges on down to bbq joints.

I’m biased, but the coast is the best area in MS and it’s more to do than one would have you believe. Plus, with NO, Baton Rouge, Mobile, and the FL coastal cities like PCola and Destin nearby, there’s always something to do. So much culture within that area.
All those cities including Biloxi were first colonized by the French. That's why that whole area seems so different and unique.

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
I'm gonna have to go with DC on that one.

The Footworkers were nice as hell and their music was pretty dope (better sounding than their older stuff IMO) but eventually their moves started to become somewhat more repetitive and predictable to me. That’s no bias nor slight towards the Chicago brehs, that’s just how it seemed to me.

The DC brehs were hittin them with a lot of unpredictable random shyt and were very creative with it too.

I also liked how both teams free-styled on each other’s music. I’ll admit that Beat Ya Feet seemed kinda outta place on a Chicago Juke beat but BYF is one of the most versatile Black dances out there. You can Beat Ya Feet to regular Funk, New Jack Swing, Hip Hop, Trap, 90’s Dance music, hell I’ve even seen nikkas beat their feet to Jersey Club :dead: shyt’s amazing, Black people just got the illest dances ever.

I’ll also say this, Chicago’s Memphis cousins did give us some of that work with their Jookin. Idek Southern brehs had smooth footwork like that :whoo:

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
I’ll also say this, Chicago’s Memphis cousins did give us some of that work with their Jookin. Idek Southern brehs had smooth footwork like that :whoo:

Our kinfolk from the bay tried to pluck us too like we were easy but, they found out it isn't easy lol
We been battling them since the last decade.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
My fiancé is of gullah heritage, as all her ppl from Beaufort SC and Charleston. I gotta ask her about any dances or such her kinfolk was doing back then.

Side note: when she get upset, her gullah accent comes out and I can’t even really understand her grandma at times :russ:. I love us (AA’s), man. Such rich culture and history.

the charleston dance

The-Wicked-Waltz-and-Other-Scandalous-Dances-01-1.jpg

The-Wicked-Waltz-and-Other-Scandalous-Dances-02-1.jpg

The Charleston is a dance named for the harbor city of Charleston, South Carolina. The rhythm was popularized in mainstream dance music in the United States by a 1923 tune called "The Charleston" by composer/pianist James P. Johnson which originated in the Broadway show Runnin' Wild[1] and became one of the most popular hits of the decade. Runnin' Wild ran from 29 October 1923, through 28 June 1924.[1] The peak year for the Charleston as a dance by the public was mid-1926 to 1927.

Charleston can be danced solo, or with a partner. Its simple, flexible basic step makes it easy to concentrate on styling, improvisation and musicality.

Whichever style of Charleston one chooses, whether dancing alone, with a partner, or in groups, the basic step resembles the natural movement of walking, though it is usually performed in place. The arms swing forward and backwards, with the right arm coming forward as the left leg 'steps' forward, and then moving back as the opposite arm/leg begin their forwards movement. Toes are not pointed, but feet usually form a right angle with the leg at the ankle. Arms are usually extended from the shoulder, either with straight lines, or more frequently with bent elbows and hands at right angles from the wrist (characteristics of many African dances). Styling varies with each Charleston type from this point.[10]

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Man, I’ll never forget I was in Starkville, MS because my brother went to Mississippi State. I was there and he took me to a party, and some nikkas just broke out doing that gangsta walk Crunchy Black does.

I was :ohhh: in amazement.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The Madison (ohio)

MadisonPhoto-edited-green-4in.gif

The Madison is a novelty dance that was popular in the late 1950s to mid-1960s.

It was created and first danced in Columbus, Ohio, in 1957.[1] The local popularity of the dance and record in Baltimore, Maryland, came to the attention of the producers of The Buddy Deane Show in 1960. Picked up by dance shows across the country, it became widely popular.[2]

The Madison is a line dance that features a regular back-and-forth pattern interspersed with called steps. Its popularity inspired dance teams and competitions, as well as various recordings, and today it is still sometimes performed as a nostalgic dance. The Madison is featured in the John Waters movie Hairspray (1988), and it continues to be performed in the Broadway musical Hairspray. Both the film and the musical feature one of many songs released during the Madison "craze" in the US.

The jazz pianist Ray Bryant recorded "Madison Time" for Columbia Records in 1959.[3] Billboard stated that "The footwork for the Madison dance is carefully and clearly diagrammed for the terpers."[4] The Ray Bryant version was the version featured in the film Hairspray. The other popular version was by Al Brown & The Tunetoppers. Another version was recorded by radio presenter Alan Freeman for Decca Records in 1962.

An example of a 1960 song and album featuring music for the Madison is The Tunetoppers at The Madison Dance Party, with calls by Al Brown.[5]

The Madison took on international flavor when Count Basie visited Columbus in 1959 and adopted the dance as a feature of his entertainment when he played London and the Continent, creating press notices in London.[6]

The Madison basic, danced in the film Hairspray, is as follows:

1. Step left forward
  2. Place right beside left (no weight) and clap
  3. Step back on right
  4. Move left foot back and across the right
  5. Move left foot to the left
  6. Move left foot back and across the right
Called steps included the Double Cross, the Cleveland Box, The Basketball (with Wilt Chamberlain), the Big "M", the "T" Time, the Jackie Gleason, the Birdland, and The Rifleman. "The Jackie Gleason" is based on a tap dance movement known as "Shuffle Off to Buffalo".[7] Additional called sequences are: Two Up and Two Back, Big Boss Cross in Front, Make a "T", the Box, Cuddle Me, and Flying High. "Away We Go" may be the same as "The Jackie Gleason".[8]

Time magazine noted the Madison in April 1960.[9]

The Madison dance has become very popular in the Kingdom of Cambodia and Kampuchea Krom (Mekong delta). It was introduced to Cambodia in the 1960s and remains a very popular dance at wedding banquets and other parties.[citation needed] The largest Madison dance in the world took place in Siem Reap, Cambodia on 15 April 2015 in celebration of the Cambodian New Year, involving 2,015 participants.[10]

[/quote]

Madison Time is an album recorded by American jazz pianist Ray Bryant recorded in 1959 and 1960 for the Columbia label.[1][2][3] The album was released following the success of the Madison dance craze single "The Madison Time" which reached number 30 on the Billboard chart and number 5 on the R&B chart.[4][5] The single also featured in the soundtrack to the 1988 film Hairspray.[6]

Al Brown's Tunetoppers was a band led by Al Brown, born May 22, 1934, who had success in 1960 with a dance tune "The Madison" on Amy Records. The dance calls were by Cookie Brown. Although they were successful in record sales, it had to fight off a competing version by Ray Bryant on Columbia Records who titled his, "Madison Time" with calls by Eddie Morrison. As a result, Al Brown's version could only peak at #23 on the Billboard Charts. dikkey Doo & The Don'ts also released version of "The Madison" on a United Artists album. dikkey Doo was fronted by Gerry Granahan who had a hit with "No Chemise Please" in 1958.[1]

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Man, I’ll never forget I was in Starkville, MS because my brother went to Mississippi State. I was there and he took me to a party, and some nikkas just broke out doing that gangsta walk Crunchy Black does.

I was :ohhh: in amazement.

I remember when the who run it video came out and we first seem CB do the dance and were all like :wow::wow::wow:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
IMO what a lot of we consider “regular close, slow dancing” is essentially a slow drag, it’s just that nobody uses the term anymore.

I just go off what my pops describes from back in the day, said people used to bust on themselves cause it was that intimate, peep how ol girl was grinding on Cochise’s leg.
:yeshrug:

the cooley high video is a slow grind but it's not exactly the slow drag of blues dancing. The slow drag actually has more steps besides the grinding part. I saw an example of it in a video with Louis Armstrong but I can't remember the name of it.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Lol them sur Mexicans take credit for all of this on some "minority culture" bs that's why I love the coli unapologetic black

mexicans, pacific islanders and various asians all over youtube trynna false claim those cali dances:russ:

They know better than to claim any of the dancing. At the most they’ll attempt to poplock or some shyt.
:mjlol:

They’re better off false claiming credit for Zoot suits, which nobody believes but them anyway.
:mjlol:

:lolbron:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
3:42 “Camel Walk”
Mississippi shyt

The real OG Camel walk

The camel walk is a ragtime dance that was popular in the 1960s. James Brown often used this dance in his routine when he performed on stage.

Origin
The camel walk originated as a ragtime dance in the early 20th century. It was referred to as an "animal ragtime dance", due to the nature of the dance.

The Dance
The original camel walk started out in vaudeville shows during the early part of the 20th century. It became popular with college students, most notably "flappers", as a social dance during the 1910s and 1920s. The dance received disapproval from the general public, as the female dancers would often rest their heads upon the lead dancer's shoulder as they danced. This was seen as vulgar at the time. Despite the negative reputation, the camel walk remained popular through much of the 20th century.