“AEW locker room is SAD & EMBARRASSED over CM Punk situation.” | UPDATE: “CM PUNK PUT MY SAFETY, SECURITY & LIFE IN DANGER! HE’S FIRED!” - TONY KHAN

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
So you don’t think ratings and attendance would go up with a Punk return? Everything would just stay the level it’s at right now?

I think it’s going to go up anyway with the new direction but slower. Punk coming back would boost ratings and attendance like Hogan coming back to WWE in 05 and 06 did. Hogan-HBK did a big ass buyrate and then what?

Ohnoits

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tony Kahn's favorite wrestlers are reported to be Christian, CM Punk, and Goldberg. It remains to be seen because Meltzer often reports lies but his claim that WWE was looking at the Elite seems to point to what I think were earlier diversion tactics by them to try to influence Kahn to go their way. The exact same thing happened when they were suspended: suddenly they were putting out "feelers" to WWE to see if they could be signed then were back winning the Trios titles. Now, if they know Punk is talking to Kahn and Kahn wants him back, this lines up with their "WWE interested in the Elite" Meltzer was reporting again. Wait and see.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
What are the angles in aew right now that would top whatever ratings they'd get from a cm punk return?
When I look at storylines, the ratings it will/would get is the last thing to cross my mind. I just want good stories. The fact that your question is about the ratings pop and not what a good story they can tell is odd :manny:

So shouldnt your question be, what storyline in AEW right now is better than a Punk return?
Im meh on a Punk vs Elite story, especially if it involves FTR. Didnt care for the way AEW used Punk last time. Now if it used Hobbs/Swerve, I wouldnt mind seeing it. This Kenny/Elite split is more interesting to me right now. Than Elite/Punk*

Match wise, Elite vs Punk/FTR sounds boring as hell. :manny:
*- The fact that they splitting Elite/Kenny sorta leads to the Punk Elite story not being in the works.

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
I think it’s going to go up anyway with the new direction but slower. Punk coming back would boost ratings and attendance like Hogan coming back to WWE in 05 and 06 did. Hogan-HBK did a big ass buyrate and then what?

Nice hedge to say it’s gonna go up eventually but “slower” so you can keep kicking the can down the road from admitting being wrong, something you never do.

Doing one giant buy rate or a month of sell outs would be an upgrade for an AEW product that isn’t even selling out secondary buildings for Dynamite. When was the last time they did 10K+ tickets for a venue? Even the PPV fell short

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Tony Kahn's favorite wrestlers are reported to be Christian, CM Punk, and Goldberg. It remains to be seen because Meltzer often reports lies but his claim that WWE was looking at the Elite seems to point to what I think were earlier diversion tactics by them to try to influence Kahn to go their way. The exact same thing happened when they were suspended: suddenly they were putting out "feelers" to WWE to see if they could be signed then were back winning the Trios titles. Now, if they know Punk is talking to Kahn and Kahn wants him back, this lines up with their "WWE interested in the Elite" Meltzer was reporting again. Wait and see.

Kenny has turned down WWE the same # of times as replies in this thread. His deal is coming up and Levesque wants to poach anyone he can. Use your common sense. Why wouldn’t they want him again? Nobody wants Punk but the few guys in here and Uncle Dax

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Nice hedge to say it’s gonna go up eventually but “slower” so you can keep kicking the can down the road from admitting being wrong, something you never do.

Doing one giant buy rate or a month of sell outs would be an upgrade for an AEW product that isn’t even selling out secondary buildings for Dynamite. When was the last time they did 10K+ tickets for a venue? Even the PPV fell short

Yesterday. 13k for forbidden door. The rumors of Kenny/Ospreay and Stardom were at the forefront. AEW is putting their 4 pillars at the top of the next PPV, and the other title holders are Hayter, Hobbs, Orange, and the Gunns. They’re going in a clear direction. Every #2 company that’s had any success had its own signature talent and every time they’ve tried to copy Vince they failed. I’ve been watching a really long time and that’s been the pattern. What’s the diff between Punk and Hogan in 05 really?

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
Yesterday. 13k for forbidden door. The rumors of Kenny/Ospreay and Stardom were at the forefront. AEW is putting their 4 pillars at the top of the next PPV, and the other title holders are Hayter, Hobbs, Orange, and the Gunns. They’re going in a clear direction. Every #2 company that’s had any success had its own signature talent and every time they’ve tried to copy Vince they failed. I’ve been watching a really long time and that’s been the pattern. What’s the diff between Punk and Hogan in 05 really?

Forbidden Door is in June and it’s going to be co headlined by wrestlers from another company. It’s not entirely on the back of AEW but credit to them for selling out an actual arena. The show last night did less than 4000 people.

The last #2 company that made the leap to number one did so on the backs of signing big time ex WWF stars like Hogan, Savage, Hall and Nash. Not by pushing Brad Armstrong, Dean Malenko, High Voltage and Ice Train. If you think Jungle Boy and Sammy Guevara headlining PPVs is the key to overtaking WWE, I don’t know what to tell ya.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Forbidden Door is in June and it’s going to be co headlined by wrestlers from another company. It’s not entirely on the back of AEW but credit to them for selling out an actual arena. The show last night did less than 4000 people.

The last #2 company that made the leap to number one did so on the backs of signing big time ex WWF stars like Hogan, Savage, Hall and Nash. Not by pushing Brad Armstrong, Dean Malenko, High Voltage and Ice Train. If you think Jungle Boy and Sammy Guevara headlining PPVs is the key to overtaking WWE, I don’t know what to tell ya.

Bischoff is that you? You could’ve said that about Steve Austin, Dustin and Jack in 94 WCW.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
I mean, wrestling was more popular back then. How many big time ex WWE guys are WWE releasing like that in current day?
Punk also cant stay healthy. Feels like he's been more injured than not with his AEW run.

Fake Edit: Wait are you talking about TNA? Wasnt the downfall of TNA was because the focused too much on ex WWF ppl instead of getting their own talent over? All that TNA shyt looks like trash. I thought you were talking WCW/WWE.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I mean, wrestling was more popular back then. How many big time ex WWE guys are WWE releasing like that in current day?
Punk also cant stay healthy. Feels like he's been more injured than not with his AEW run.

Fake Edit: Wait are you talking about TNA? Wasnt the downfall of TNA was because the focused too much on ex WWF ppl instead of getting their own talent over? All that TNA shyt looks like trash. I thought you were talking WCW/WWE.

I feel Punk got as big as he ever will be in AEW. People wanted to see him comeback and they got it. What’s next? As far as recognized stars from his generation that can put people over, Danielson Jericho and Mox are doing it already. What’s Punk purpose? Be the top guy that he never be a decade ago?

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
Bischoff is that you? You could’ve said that about Steve Austin, Dustin and Jack in 94 WCW.

wow so you’re saying one of Darby, Sammy and Jungle Boy is gonna be a Stone Cold or even Mankind level mainstream crossover star?

I was talking about WCW. You’re right that WWE typically doesn’t release main event talent but when main event talent walks out on WWE you have to take advantage of a rare situation like Punk or Sasha. Make Brock an offer he can’t refuse. I don’t even like CM Punk (peep the avatar) but I can’t deny his impact on business.

Ohnoits

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kenny has turned down WWE the same # of times as replies in this thread. His deal is coming up and Levesque wants to poach anyone he can. Use your common sense. Why wouldn’t they want him again? Nobody wants Punk but the few guys in here and Uncle Dax
Who benefits leaking that the Elite are interested in WWE?

I'm not saying WWE wouldn't sign Kenny.

I'm saying that the timing of the information is suspect and tends to be part of the pattern witnessed thus far - Elite unhappy backstage, Elite start leaking they are thinking of going or a company is interested in them. In terms of timing, it would not make sense for WWE to have it known.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
Kenny won't leave AEW without the Young Bucks going with him. They're a package deal. They were a package deal for AEW to get off the ground too. As far as I remember them talking about it, 2/3 of them were all in on Tony Khan's idea to start AEW along with Cody. One of the Bucks was the holdout & it was either all 3 of them do it or none at all. I want to say it was Matt Jackson being the hesitant one, but I can't remember. Either way, one of the Bucks eventually came around to it. So it all really just comes down to whether or not the Young Bucks want to stay in AEW or go. If Tony Khan brings Punk back without the Bucks blessing, that could be the final nail in the coffin for those dudes to leave.