"AEW is Slayer. The WWE is Taylor Swift " Darby Allin

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Difference between AEW and ECW is ECW had compelling stories and characters.
Did they, really? When I think of ECW I don’t think of their storylines. Raven/Sandman is the only one fans talk about with a storyline.

Characters were another thing I don’t think of with ECW. Fans may have fukked with Axl Rotten and Balls Mahoney, but they weren’t buying tickets to see them or Little Guido. :skip:

ECW was known for quality matches and the hardcore shyt. Feels like you’re trying to revise history.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
AEW has better PPVs. WWE has better weekly TV.

But WWE PPVs are often better than AEW Weekly TV.

I tend to prefer and always will prefer AEW's style of presenting pro wrestling as a wrestling sport with crazy storylines compared to WWE's story driven first approach. But you can't deny this Cinematic Era is producing quality and large crowds that make a better TV product.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Don't answer this, it's a trap @StatUS :damn:
Not really. Y'all do this every time lol. AEW is a wrestling first show. Most people watch weekly and the PPVs for the "sport" of wrestling. If WWE did a show with minimal wrestling but great storylines no one would bat an eye. That was basically a lot of the build to WrestleMania lol. AEW shows with reduced wrestling get think pieces written by the whole IWC.

Daps
Reppin
Eagle, Colorado
I disagree with the characterization that deprioritizing storylines or angles by default makes it more like a sport. Sports are about winning and losing. Wrestling is predetermined. Caring more about the choreography than the outcome or stakes is arguably antithetical to sports.

It doesn't automatically become more sportslike unless there's a conscious effort to do so. Additionally, storylines are a huge part of sports.

DaHNIC82

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Off The Cuff Radio/ScrewballRadio/BudeBoyEnt
Did they, really? When I think of ECW I don’t think of their storylines. Raven/Sandman is the only one fans talk about with a storyline.

Characters were another thing I don’t think of with ECW. Fans may have fukked with Axl Rotten and Balls Mahoney, but they weren’t buying tickets to see them or Little Guido. :skip:

ECW was known for quality matches and the hardcore shyt. Feels like you’re trying to revise history.

I'm not rewriting nothing. I lived it. Just say you late to the party or never watched

Taz vs Sabu
Dreamer vs Raven
Da Gangstas/Dudleyz/ Eliminators
Terry Funks quest to being champion
The Triple Threat (Douglas, Bam Bam, Candito) Vs Taz
RVD vs Jerry Lynn
Sandman Vs Raven
Shane breaking Gary Wolfes neck and causing a riot
The regular fukkery of New Jack after Da Gangstas
All were big stories for the fed

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I'm not rewriting nothing. I lived it. Just say you late to the party or never watched

Taz vs Sabu
Dreamer vs Raven
Da Gangstas/Dudleyz/ Eliminators
Terry Funks quest to being champion
The Triple Threat (Douglas, Bam Bam, Candito) Vs Taz
RVD vs Jerry Lynn
Sandman Vs Raven
Shane breaking Gary Wolfes neck and causing a riot
The regular fukkery of New Jack after Da Gangstas
All were big stories for the fed

I wouldn’t be talking about ECW if I didn’t watch it. :comeon:

I’ll give you Dreamer/Sandman and Taz/Threat. RVD/Lynn is one I remember, but I wouldn’t call it a storyline. They literally just had a “how can we top the last match” feud.

Aside from Dreamer/Raven, I don’t see the rest touching what Hangman/Swerve have done. You’re confusing feuds with storylines. ECW wasn’t known for its “compelling storylines and characters” and no fan today talks about them for that.

Last edited: