ACTION AUGUST! The Coli's Top 10 Action Films ***FINAL LIST***

What genre should the next top 10 list be for September?

• High School/College/Frat

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Sports

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Comedy

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • War

Votes: 13 23.6%

• Total voters

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
I don't know why so many nikkas just refuse to give The Raid series it's props. :mjlol:There are a bunch of Martial Art films that are classics with much overall better stories and plots, it's just that when nikkas is debating how good a martial arts film is they are instinctively going to use the martial arts action as the barometer first above everything else. That is were the Raid series excels at.

Hell, I think Prodigal Son with Yuen Biao is an all time classic in the martial arts genre with a good story and dope fighting choreography, but I can't lie to myself and say the fighting an intensity matches the combat scenes in the Raid.

IP Man 1 and 2 are dope as fukk as well and are definitely classics to me, but those are more Martial Art themed films than straight up action movies. I feel like whenever a film centers around a certain style like for example Wing Chun or Kung Fu, it automatically falls into the Martial Arts film genre. The Raid used Silat, but it's not like they mentioned it or threw training sequences in your face like they did with Merantau. That's the difference. Raid is fight heavy but that shyt had mad gun action too. I can't over look that.

To me the Raid has enough fighting to be in the Martial Arts genre an enough shooting to be in the action film genre. :manny:

Kinda like how the Matrix has enough action sequences to be on an action movie film list even though it has heavy sci fi elements too.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
My main issues with The Raid movies are these. The stories (especially the first one) are so basic. And as good as the fighting was, a lot of it seemed very fake. You'd have dude beating the shyt out of one guy and the next guy runs up after and just takes his beaten falls down and the next guy comes. It was the same shyt over and over and over. To the point where most of the people being beat up just seemed like dummies. Don't get me wrong, a lot of martial arts movies are exactly like that with dummy actors just taking beats and falling down after, but The Raid just seemed like they took that concept and said fukk the script or a decent plot. I was amazed at all the fighting, but at a few points I was starting to get bored of the scenes. I may be one of the few that feel this way, but some times quality in martial arts movies is better than quantity. And the guns and shooting in those movie were not that great, so it falls into the martial arts genre to me.

Last edited:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
My main issues with The Raid movies are these. The stories (especially the first one) are so basic. And as good as the fighting was, a lot of it seemed very fake. You'd have dude beating the shyt out of one guy and the next guy runs up after and just takes his beaten falls down and the next guy comes. It was the same shyt over and over and over. To the point where most of the people being beat up just seemed like dummies. Don't get me wrong, a lot of martial arts movies are exactly like that with dummy actors just taking beats and falling down after, but The Raid just seemed like they took that concept and said fukk the script or a decent plot. I was amazed at all the fighting, but at a few points I was starting to get bored of the scenes. I may be one of the few that feel this way, but some times quality in martial arts movies is better than quantity. And the guns and shooting in those movie were not that great, so it falls into the martial arts genre to me.
Agreed. Dope action but gets redundant. I loved the hallway scene. The 2nd hall scene i think. i forget. That last fight had me looking at my watch i mean my phone like damn how much longer can this fight last.

EarlyMaridia

All Star
Daps
I don't consider The Raid 2 to be a martial arts film...at all. I can see the argument for the Raid: Redemption -and I disagree with that too-, but not the sequel. It's a gangster film that has martial arts in it. Rama could have used a beam sword from Halo and it'd still be a gangster movie, with a sci-fi dude in it, fukking people up.

As for the gun combat...it was straight to the point, as it should be. The guns weren't the characters in these stories: merely tools. Whenever a gun came out, someone got dropped instantly (minus one character) and they kept shyt moving.

edit: Come to think of it. Why don't people consider martial arts movies to be action movies as well? People are still getting fukked up in as many fantastical ways as in shyt like Commando.

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
Coli got good taste....almost all those movies were in my own top 10 :pachaha:. I personally rated the raid series so high because when I think of action movies I dont rate story too high. Is the raid fukkin with something like The Matrix or T2 from a straight movie to movie perspective? Hell naw.....but if were talking about ACTION then nothing is fukking with the raid or raid 2.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
It's not about not giving The Raid movies their props, because they do deserve them (the first one especially), but Top 10 of all time? The only aspect in which no martial arts movie can match The Raid is visceral violence, the feeling that men are literally being destroyed in combat. But from a technical aspect I'd say contemporary classics like Ip Man, or a more action driven movie like The Protector, are just as great. The thing is, I'm not denying The Raid's place in the Top 10 (but I will deny The Raid 2's place, as it's far too overblown and muddled in between the action) but I feel it got picked more because of it being fresh on our minds rather than carried in our hearts.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
It's not about not giving The Raid movies their props, because they do deserve them (the first one especially), but Top 10 of all time? The only aspect in which no martial arts movie can match The Raid is visceral violence, the feeling that men are literally being destroyed in combat. But from a technical aspect I'd say contemporary classics like Ip Man, or a more action driven movie like The Protector, are just as great. The thing is, I'm not denying The Raid's place in the Top 10 (but I will deny The Raid 2's place, as it's far too overblown and muddled in between the action) but I feel it got picked more because of it being fresh on our minds rather than carried in our hearts.
giphy.gif

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
So people really got the raid and raid 2 over Ip man and Ip man 2? :what:

It's still fresh in peoples minds I guess. If they make a part 3 I bet that will be the new goat action film. I wish more people saw IP Man. Seems like a lot of martial arts movies are getting thrown into the bushes because of The Raid movies success.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It's still fresh in peoples minds I guess. If they make a part 3 I bet that will be the new goat action film. I wish more people saw IP Man. Seems like a lot of martial arts movies are getting thrown into the bushes because of The Raid movies success.

Call yourself a film fan but have no context of film history brehs

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:mjlol:at Empire Strikes Back and The Dark Knight getting nikkaz in their feelings.

:yeshrug:It is what it is. That's why we have the month to discuss the final list and debate it.

It's also a vote lol..if you mad then...yeah idk what to tell you. We all voted, the votes have it. Let it breathe. I would've loved to have seen Enter the Dragon in the top 10 but meh it ain't. Boards still don't hit back tho

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
:mjlol:at Empire Strikes Back and The Dark Knight getting nikkaz in their feelings.

:yeshrug:It is what it is. That's why we have the month to discuss the final list and debate it.

:umad:

Nah the Raid definitely got nikkas catching feelings though. Just look at the last several posts in this thread.

nikkas talking about there's too much action and fighting in the Raid that it got boring and redundant. :dahell:

That's like walking into your bedroom and there's 3 dime piece bytches sitting on the bed waiting to fukk the shyt out of you and the first thing that comes to your mind is "That's too much p*ssy to handle.":mjlol:

To be real the Raid is like Hard Boiled with more martial arts. (Gun action and Fights)

Raid Series is a top 10 action movie of all time voted by the people for the people and there's nothing cats can do about it. :youngsabo:

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
:umad:

Nah the Raid definitely got nikkas catching feelings though. Just look at the last several posts in this thread.

nikkas talking about there's too much action and fighting in the Raid that it got boring and redundant. :dahell:

That's like walking into your bedroom and there's 3 dime piece bytches sitting on the bed waiting to fukk the shyt out of you and the first thing that comes to your mind is "That's too much p*ssy to handle.":mjlol:

To be real the Raid is like Hard Boiled with more martial arts. (Gun action and Fights)

Raid Series is a top 10 action movie of all time voted by the people for the people and there's nothing cats can do about it. :youngsabo:

You are right about that. Nothing we can do about it. We do though have the debate open to which movies we are surprised to see and The Raid series would probably take the cake cause it's so new. And I am a big action fan, so to say that too much action is the reason why I don't rate it in top 10 is nonsense. I metioned already that the violence in those movies are like a video game with just dummies being beaten to the ground over and over again which I stand by. To be a goat action movie IMO you need at least a good story line and passable script. The Raid movies have neither. I ain't mad that people love it and voted, but I do feel that in 10 years, people will have moved on from the hype of these movies. When Kill Bill first came out people were going on as if it was the greatest action movie ever, same with Ong Bak and Ninja Assassin. Again, I ain't mad at the coli's list. If I really didn't want The Raid on the list I would have said no martial arts movies and not allowed it to make the voting, but I already knew it was popular and let it be.

Now what about those people hating on Empire Strikes Back and Dark Knight making the list and calling Predator a sci fi film.:umad:

Last edited: