According to Mat Piscatella (NPD/Circana) Gaming Subscriptions have stalled

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Gizmo thinks I should wait drop my sub service, to wait to play a game on sale that, a lot of times I usually forget about with games dropping left and right now... only to have me to pay 3 to 4 times more over all like a normal person.

I'ma gamepass on that:heh:

You can do anything you want. Most people are not subbing to a service to queue a bunch of indie games that they sit on for months at a time. They are either playing F2P titles or buying the same big hype games everyone else is, as noted by Mat Piscatella.

The middle ground of people that are just going through a Rolodex of indie titles every month on a subscription service is very small. Even PS Plus extra, the service people like the most on playstation is really only for the people who missed out on the big Sony (or older 3rd party) games and want to catch up.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You’re confusing yourself. I said im not waiting around for “AAA” games, i always have something to play, not that I don’t buy games on sales
So you do have a backlog? :patrice: but I guess since it's purchased games you bought on sales it makes more sense

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
So you do have a backlog? :patrice: but I guess since it's purchased games you bought on sales it makes more sense

A backlog (back catalogue) is something you own and feel burdened to play eventually. I have no such thing.

Gamepass is yall perpetual backlog cause most of yall don’t ever get around to playing or finishing most of the shyt on there

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You can do anything you want. Most people are not subbing to a service to queue a bunch of indie games that they sit on for months at a time. They are either playing F2P titles or buying the same big hype games everyone else is, as noted by Mat Piscatella.

The middle ground of people that are just going through a Rolodex of indie titles every month on a subscription service is very small. Even PS Plus extra, the service people like the most on playstation is really only for the people who missed out on the big Sony (or older 3rd party) games and want to catch up.
That's the beauty of gamepass there is something for everyone.

Not sure why you trying to act like how I use it is incorrect as opposed to someone who only uses it for certain titles.

The way I game I get MORE value out of it than those that you mentioned.

:manny:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A backlog (back catalogue) is something you own and feel burdened to play eventually. I have no such thing.

Gamepass is yall perpetual backlog cause most of yall don’t ever get around to playing or finishing most of the shyt on there
Bro come on
:dead:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That's the beauty of gamepass there is something for everyone.

Not sure why you trying to act like how I use it is incorrect as opposed to someone who only uses it for certain titles.

The way I game I get MORE value out of it than those that you mentioned.

:manny:

It has a market it’s just not a wide market, thats what the thread is about. You don’t need to make it about you

Subscription gaming is stagnating because most people just do not game in the same way they consume music and video. Gamepass is the solution to a problem no one really had with gaming

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It has a market it’s just not a wide market, thats what the thread is about. You don’t need to make it about you

Subscription gaming is stagnating because most people just do not game in the same way they consume music and video. Gamepass is the solution to a problem no one really had with gaming
The best thing about successful sub services is they don't need to see growth year on year to be successful. It's more about retention and monthly/annual revenue than growth year after year.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just don’t think most people want access to 1000 games tbh. Thats the short and sweet of it. Gaming just doesn’t have the retention of music and video, and the ones that do are all F2P. I think its a flawed idea.

Hardcore gamers are gonna want to own games, or they’re gonna continue buying the big AAA stuff separately (hogwarts, Star Wars, street fighter, diablo, resident evil, etc.) and casual players just don’t care.

I stay trying to put my friends up on the free stuff that releases monthly and they just don’t care and i don’t really care either.
As someone who buys a lot of games once I got ps extra I was like cool a few games I wanted to are on there and I can play but after a week I’m like this is too much but I don’t think those kinds of services are for because Im the plug lol. I already have a crazy backlog there’s just not enough time

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Most of the players in this industry haven't really invested in gaming subscription services as its own product. For many of them it's the place they put old sold through games. That limits it's growth potential because the gaming industry is built off hyping up products and getting people to buy day one. People aren't going to be interested in subbing in mass for a service that has a bunch of games they already bought.

We really won't know the potential of gaming subscription services until they start releasing new desirable games on them beyond indie titles and small one off projects.

folasade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can only think of it from my perspective where I have no use for it. If I'm really interested in a newly released game I buy it, otherwise I just wait for other games I missed out on to go on sale or is free. I also don't burn through games that fast, or play a lot of short-form games.

It makes a lot of sense for content creators though.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I can only think of it from my perspective where I have no use for it. If I'm really interested in a newly released game I buy it, otherwise I just wait for other games I missed out on to go on sale or is free. I also don't burn through games that fast, or play a lot of short-form games.

It makes a lot of sense for content creators though.

Content creators that get sent codes for free a lot of times

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
I just don’t think most people want access to 1000 games tbh. Thats the short and sweet of it. Gaming just doesn’t have the retention of music and video, and the ones that do are all F2P. I think its a flawed idea.

Hardcore gamers are gonna want to own games, or they’re gonna continue buying the big AAA stuff separately (hogwarts, Star Wars, street fighter, diablo, resident evil, etc.) and casual players just don’t care.

I stay trying to put my friends up on the free stuff that releases monthly and they just don’t care and i don’t really care either.
That's the big issue too
Having games that people care about.
I had game pass and unsubsidized because the games I wanted to play weren't on there. Lots of games I already had played. But for casuals it's a great deal cuz they likely haven't played a lot of the good games that are on there.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That's the big issue too
Having games that people care about.
I had game pass and unsubsidized because the games I wanted to play weren't on there. Lots of games I already had played. But for casuals it's a great deal cuz they likely haven't played a lot of the good games that are on there.

I also feel like they are casual for the fact that they probably don’t really care that much besides their annual main stays. My boy plays his PS5 more than I do and he literally only plays Warzone. To him its a Warzone 5 machine.

He’ll probably pick up one other game this year. Thats how the majority of my real life friends play video games are. My brother only plays Destiny 2 and he’ll play a samurai or ninja game.

A lot of these people just don’t care about playing all these games

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
I also feel like they are casual for the fact that they probably don’t really care that much besides their annual main stays. My boy plays his PS5 more than I do and he literally only plays Warzone. To him its a Warzone 5 machine.

He’ll probably pick up one other game this year. Thats how the majority of my real life friends play video games are. My brother only plays Destiny 2 and he’ll play a samurai or ninja game.

A lot of these people just don’t care about playing all these games
Yeah but it's the option to dabble in some shyt that'll get em. If they could get the major annual franchises to release their games on gamepass every year when they first release it'd be a big draw. Like 2k and Madden and call of duty every year on there on release. Thats really why Microsoft bought Activision so they could get the call of duty people subscribing to gamepass.
If they bought 2k games too its over. They've already got EA kinda buying into what they're selling.