According to Mat Piscatella (NPD/Circana) Gaming Subscriptions have stalled

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
The streaming market and subscription gaming are not interchangeable

People could very well be aiming to stream F2P stuff like Fortnite, Warzone, Honkai Star Rail, not premium purchase games on a sub.
While true, they somewhat go hand in hand. It's why Sony created that portable streaming device because they most likely want people to upgrade to the premium tier of PS+ which will increase recurring revenue. Most streaming services require a sub, so streaming and subscription models go hand in hand. I can't really think of many streaming services that don't require a subscription of some sort.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Getting a gaming subscription is like getting those movie pass subscription at your local theater.
it's worth it if you're the type of person who see's every single movie/plays tons of games.

but if you only playing like 3 to 5 triple a titles a year. i don't really see the value, rather have my games day 1, then be forced to wait months and months after release to save money playing them on gamepass or plus. They gonna be heavily discounted bargin prices by the time they hit those platforms anyway so you not really saving any money.

I been played jedi survivor for example back in april and thats still not on plus.
if ps plus started getting these games day 1, i would subscribe though.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
While true, they somewhat go hand in hand. It's why Sony created that portable streaming device because they most likely want people to upgrade to the premium tier of PS+ which will increase recurring revenue. Most streaming services require a sub, so streaming and subscription models go hand in hand. I can't really think of many streaming services that don't require a subscription of some sort.

Thats not a cloud device, its osmething you play in your house. It connects to your playstation the same way your iPad and Phone do. Its really not connected to PS Plus or Cloud Streaming

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Hold up that device is remote play only? That seems like a waste imo

Its essentially the same as owning a backbone but with dual sense features

They have not given full details, but remote play has worked outside the house in other applications.

There’s no reason to believe this device will be limited in that way.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
sub services in general have gotten out of control due to so many companies with their hat in the ring.

too much content, alot of it being meh. Also after a while all these shyts add up cost wise and consumers are like :camby:

Now you're seeing a lot of companies slowing down on these sub services and/or closing up shop.

It's not a gaming sub issue, it's an issue in general with all subscription services nowadays. Companies are having to rethink their strategies instead of just throwing bread at anything.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Getting a gaming subscription is like getting those movie pass subscription at your local theater.
it's worth it if you're the type of person who see's every single movie/plays tons of games.

but if you only playing like 3 to 5 triple a titles a year. i don't really see the value, rather have my games day 1, then be forced to wait months and months after release to save money playing them on gamepass or plus. They gonna be heavily discounted bargin prices by the time they hit those platforms anyway so you not really saving any money.

I been played jedi survivor for example back in april and thats still not on plus.
if ps plus started getting these games day 1, i would subscribe though.

Yeah, thats the thing, if you’re a hardcore gamer, you’re still buying games anyway. The biggest AAA game releases this year are all 3rd party games, so if you’re paying 180 dollars a year for gamepass you’re still buying big games on top of it.

There’s such a small market that would actually save money or get the max value out of a service like that.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They have not given full details, but remote play has worked outside the house in other applications.

There’s no reason to believe this device will be limited in that way.

I use remote play outside of the house, i didn’t mean literally. I meant that it isn’t a cloud streaming device, so its not “copying” anything. Its a backbone in functionatliy with a bigger screen and dualsense features

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
sub services in general have gotten out of control due to so many companies with their hat in the ring.

too much content, alot of it being meh. Also after a while all these shyts add up cost wise and consumers are like :camby:

Now you're seeing a lot of companies slowing down on these sub services.

It's not a gaming sub issue, it's an issue in general with all subscription services nowadays. Companies are having to rethink their strategies instead of just throwing bread at anything.

There’s only so much content you can use to feed these services and only so much content people can consume, and gaming is even worse because its competing with F2P and the Mobile market for cheaper alternatives.

I personally jsut cancelled Disney +, Paramount, and Starz (will be back for Raising Kanan)

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I use remote play outside of the house, i didn’t mean literally. I meant that it isn’t a cloud streaming device, so its not “copying” anything. Its a backbone in functionatliy with a bigger screen and dualsense features
Again sony has not given full details. There’s no reason to believe it won’t stream PSNow games.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Now you're seeing a lot of companies slowing down on these sub services.

I was legit seconds away from upgrading from Essentials to Extra due to promo.,However, I decided not to when I realized I am going to be busy this summer with Diablo, SF6, FF16, and it's summer. I might consider it next year because I am most likely going to be busy this fall with Forza, Starfield, Spiderman, and Yakuza.

I think Microsoft having gamepass ingrained with their system helps, but if I'm a person on the fence I would rather play these big hitters above than sub to a service.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I was legit seconds away from upgrading from Essentials to Extra due to promo.,However, I decided not to when I realized I am going to be busy this summer with Diablo, SF6, FF16, and it's summer. I might consider it next year because I am most likely going to be busy this fall with Forza, Starfield, Spiderman, and Yakuza.

I think Microsoft having gamepass ingrained with their system helps, but if I'm a person on the fence I would rather play these big hitters above than sub to a service.

Thats what im saying, look at all the major releases this year. They are all selling fairly well, (noted in the OP) and people are talking about their backlogs piling up with PREMIUM priced games (70/60 dollar games) some of them being stuff like Zelda and Diablo that have like 100’s of hours of content.

Where in all these major releases would either a “hardcore” gamer or casual gamer find time to also play a bunch of releases on a sub service? Tthats why gamepass and ps plus been trash the last two months they know there is bigger fish to fry. People are not taking their attention away from big releases, why waste money putting big games on the service?

Thats how its always going to be

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Thats what im saying, look at all the major releases this year. They are all selling fairly well, (noted in the OP) and people are talking about their backlogs piling up with PREMIUM priced games (70/60 dollar games) some of them being stuff like Zelda and Diablo that have like 100’s of hours of content.

Where in all these major releases would either a “hardcore” gamer or casual gamer find time to also play a bunch of releases on a sub service? Tthats why gamepass and ps plus been trash the last two months they know there is bigger fish to fry. People are not taking their attention away from big releases, why waste money putting big games on the service?

Thats how its always going to be
Microsoft day one gamble can work out if the quality improves. If Starfield is a banger like the games above and the same with Hellblade, Forza, and Avowed then they will see growth. I think this is why they're pushing hard for ABK because a game like Diablo on a sub service will see significant growth and retention. Also, same goes with COD of course.