I can post recent ones but I hardly ever take pics of myself like that

JiCYvlW.jpg

JiCZvYv.jpg

These are right now

Last edited:

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
Yes and no. You can eat garbage and sweets, if you burn more calories then then u can have low enough body fat percentage to have visible abs. Plus doing abs will make your abs more defined.

Maluma

Banned
Daps
Dunno what genes you guys have.. I train abs 6-8 minutes of 1munite routines, with 15-30 sec breaks inbetween EVERY SINGLE DAY... Just like cardio (jogging)... I do abs right at the start of my training and then officially START training for the day after abs.

Do you want those pencil trace looking lines or actual blocks pooping out, if you want that facebrick look, you work abs DAILY.. 5minimum

Also the most effective abs exercise are body weight (legs) base.. Doesn't involve much machines.

Diet is crucial at keeping you our entire body lean, but you can't just attribute abs to just diet/body fat percentage.

Post pics or get that terrible misinformation the FOH

lmao what is this garbage

You don’t have to directly train abs more than 3x/week

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
lmao what is this garbage

You don’t have to directly train abs more than 3x/week
Post pictures or gtfoh:yeshrug:.

Again it depends what you want. Regular nice abs (more of a result of low body fat percentage) or concrete blocks with crevices and detailed separation...

To get the latter you gotta do what I do, and train abs DAILY(only 5-8min)

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
@Cape Town JHB You train abs 3 times a week before you work out? :wow:
I work out 6/7days and train abs 6/7days... Only for 5-8 minutes.

I set an 8min timer and do the first ab exercise for one minute...

I press pause at 7 min....

rest for 30 seconds...

Press continue then I do the next exercise for 60 seconds... Press pause at 6min mark...

Rest for 30 seconds,
press continue on the timer and do the next...till I either quit or run the clock down

I'm always able to do a minimum of 5 minutes, but on a good day I can run that clock down to 0.

It's quick and brutal and then I begin my exercise.

I also run a minimum of 6-7 km a day though. All the ab visibility stuff has a lot to do with body fat percentage, for some reason the body stores fat around the stomach FIRST... Not legs, not arms, not back... Fat first becomes visible around the lower stomach.

Maluma

Banned
Daps

Again it depends what you want. Regular nice abs (more of a result of low body fat percentage) or concrete blocks with crevices and detailed separation...

Detailed separation requires dropping bodyfat dumbass

The ADD

Old Master
Daps

To say you have to do what you do as the only path to that is a pretty short sighted. Admittedly you don’t do any barbell lifting at all. Some who does most compound lifts, stands while that do certain accessories and loaded carries can do achieve the same from an abs perspective while not doing direct work 6-7 a week.

We have to be reality in here. There isn’t one way to achieve that. Your way is optimal for you and that’s great but it’s not the only way.

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
To say you have to do what you do as the only path to that is a pretty short sighted. Admittedly you don’t do any barbell lifting at all. Some who does most compound lifts, stands while that do certain accessories and loaded carries can do achieve the same from an abs perspective while not doing direct work 6-7 a week.

We have to be reality in here. There isn’t one way to achieve that. Your way is optimal for you and that’s great but it’s not the only way.
You're missing my point completely.

I'm not saying train like me.. (I actually use waaaaaaay more core variation, including weights for my six pack, I do EVERYTHING)... But all that is besides the point.

What I'm saying is, if you want a regular Six pack, you drop your body fat percentage like everyone says and train your core 3 times a week, that'll work. (doing whatever works for you)... But if you don't have superior genetics (naturally lean, fast matobolism etc and you want your abs to look like concrete blocks... You gotta train them at least 5min a day, DAILY.. For 3-6 months.... You can do barbells or any other other "core" training as long as you're doing it daily... That's what's gonna make a regular genetic breh have that "freak" block look.

That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying use bodyweight training, or band resistant or anything... I'm saying do whatever you unusually do, but make sure you're doing it daily... One day it can be bands and machines , next day it can be calisthenics, next day it can be a core machine... Whatever... Just do it daily.

I'm not trying to be a snob. But some guys like you probably have great genetics and have muscle maturity that's taken you maybe 5 years or a decade of gym life.

My advice is strictly for regular guys, already in shape, already have somewhat low body fat, and have a visible 6 pack and want to know how to get that POP.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
You're missing my point completely.

I'm not saying train like me.. (I actually use waaaaaaay more core variation, including weights for my six pack, I do EVERYTHING)... But all that is besides the point.

What I'm saying is, if you want a regular Six pack, you drop your body fat percentage like everyone says and train your core 3 times a week, that'll work. (doing whatever works for you)... But if you don't have superior genetics (naturally lean, fast matobolism etc and you want your abs to look like concrete blocks... You gotta train them at least 5min a day, DAILY.. For 3-6 months.... You can do barbells or any other other "core" training as long as you're doing it daily... That's what's gonna make a regular genetic breh have that "freak" block look.

That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying use bodyweight training, or band resistant or anything... I'm saying do whatever you unusually do, but make sure you're doing it daily... One day it can be bands and machines , next day it can be calisthenics, next day it can be a core machine... Whatever... Just do it daily.

I'm not trying to be a snob. But some guys like you probably have great genetics and have muscle maturity that's taken you maybe 5 years or a decade of gym life.

My advice is strictly for regular guys, already in shape, already have somewhat low body fat, and have a visible 6 pack and want to know how to get that POP.
That’s fair and I misunderstood your point. 100 agree that you do have to do consistent work in some form and you just can diet down to have developed abs.

All good sir

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
Detailed separation requires dropping bodyfat dumbass
See my above reply breh.
Separation can be achieved by what you said, caloric deficit/low body fat, I agree...

DETAILED SEPERATIPN is a different animal(for a guy with regular genetics, there are guys who are genetically gifted in that... But regular guys will not be able to get 10% body fat, maintain it for years and get a DETAILED separation

I got regular genes.

The first pics I posted I was eating 2 clean meals a day, and was super lean... And yes the detail was great, over the last 2 - 3 months I've been eating way more than usual and increasing my training intensity.

as I've gained muscles/bulk (and fat) the definition and separation in my abs is still very visible .... I know my body well and have been lifting seriously since 2013. ... If I wasn't training the abs daily, I would NOT be able to be buff (bulking look) and still have THAT level of separation.

I hope I'm clear. I'm not arguing ANYTHING that you guys are saying.

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
That’s fair and I misunderstood your point. 100 agree that you do have to do consistent work in some form and you just can diet down to have developed abs.

All good sir
I wanna get your thoughts on a theory I have and have observed.

I listen to a few Bodybuilding podcasts, and have followed Bodybuilding for a few years.
I always download the Q N A ones or when they have a former Mr Olympia, Arnold Classic etc or trainers.

What I have noticed even in modern building, the core/abs is one of the most neglected part, it's not given significance... Back in the golden era of 90s Mr Olympia's, no matter how big and great your physique was, you had to have at very least a flat stomach, and somewhat visible abs... Dorian Yates Ronnie Coleman for example are not famous for their abs, BUT even they still needed to have a decent core.

The reason I point this bodybuilding trend out is coz I know most gym etiquette and conventional methods today are DIRECTLY taken from bodybuilding.

Even terminology like "super setting" "pre workout" "leg day "" Compound movements " and many other gym lingo is straight from bodybuilders..

The low body fat, 3 times a week for abs logic comes from Bodybuilding, basically to win a Mr Olympia, abs are not gonna determine whether or not you win, it's gonna be legs, back, arms, chest, shoulder etc etc Bodybuilder stomachs have to be just "good enough" (relative to their ridiculous high standards)....

I've heard a lot of gym myths and theories that are directly taken from bodybuilders over the years, and people don't seem to understand is that 98% of elite bodybuilders are born with superior genetics AND (100%)on gear... So almost EVERYTHING that works for THEM will not translate well for you/us regular brehs who are training to be healthy, look good.

A classic Bodybuilding notion that's been adopted by regular gym guys is the "training to failure"... When you work/lift with an isolated muscle e.g. Bicep, till you're physically unable to do anything with it... This is a HORRENDOUS thing to do to your muscles if youre a regular breh and you simply do NOT need it, to achieve your ideal look... Bodybuilders do it to literally create NEW mind-muscle connections, they are trying to push their body BEYOND the bodies actually pshyaical limits

Another bodybuilder notion I've seen is the concept of training "chest and back" on one day, them arms and core the other day, then leg day etc

Another is the "anti cardio" trope, again, Kai Greene or Phil Heath is not gonna be doing a gang of cardio and after you've built THAT kind of muscles over THAT long of a period of time, you burn fat like an actual machine. Those guys bodies are not "human"... They are just freaks of nature.

But a retailer breh should be doing cardio and sprints, every other day or daily, or oscillate between sprinting one day and jogging the other.

Most bodybuilders train 2 - 3 times a day. Their entire day is centered around eating, recovering(sleeping, gear) and training... So them dedicating entire sessions on one or 2 big muscle groups is almost irrelevant coz with may a 72 hour cycle, they've actually trained the entire body, whereas if you do legs on Tuesdays only, it won't work for you.

I see a lot of BODYBUILDER conventional methods being used, encouraged by regular brehs, with average genetics and no steroid/gear use or even a Mr Olympia, Arnold Classic etc context to their look.

I believe that ALL brehs pretty much wanna look more or less like Michael B Jordan or be skinny ripped (can't think of a famous lean ripped black actor)... Both looks can be achieved without MOST of the bodybuilding methods.

Do we really want legs like Dorian Yates or the sheer size of Ronnie.
I follow a lot of the nerdier side of Bodybuilding, and I have observed that Bodybuilding is a fine art/science for the insane.. Regular brehs can learn a lot about sleeping patterns, stretching, counting calories etc from bodybuilders, but a lot of that stuff they do is HIGHLY specialized and EXTREMELY specific to them.

It's long winded, but I'd love to hear anyone's take on it.
Again I'm open to being wrong and corrected.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I wanna get your thoughts on a theory I have and have observed.

I listen to a few Bodybuilding podcasts, and have followed Bodybuilding for a few years.
I always download the Q N A ones or when they have a former Mr Olympia, Arnold Classic etc or trainers.

What I have noticed even in modern building, the core/abs is one of the most neglected part, it's not given significance... Back in the golden era of 90s Mr Olympia's, no matter how big and great your physique was, you had to have at very least a flat stomach, and somewhat visible abs... Dorian Yates Ronnie Coleman for example are not famous for their abs, BUT even they still needed to have a decent core.

The reason I point this bodybuilding trend out is coz I know most gym etiquette and conventional methods today are DIRECTLY taken from bodybuilding.

Even terminology like "super setting" "pre workout" "leg day "" Compound movements " and many other gym lingo is straight from bodybuilders..

The low body fat, 3 times a week for abs logic comes from Bodybuilding, basically to win a Mr Olympia, abs are not gonna determine whether or not you win, it's gonna be legs, back, arms, chest, shoulder etc etc Bodybuilder stomachs have to be just "good enough" (relative to their ridiculous high standards)....

I've heard a lot of gym myths and theories that are directly taken from bodybuilders over the years, and people don't seem to understand is that 98% of elite bodybuilders are born with superior genetics AND (100%)on gear... So almost EVERYTHING that works for THEM will not translate well for you/us regular brehs who are training to be healthy, look good.

A classic Bodybuilding notion that's been adopted by regular gym guys is the "training to failure"... When you work/lift with an isolated muscle e.g. Bicep, till you're physically unable to do anything with it... This is a HORRENDOUS thing to do to your muscles if youre a regular breh and you simply do NOT need it, to achieve your ideal look... Bodybuilders do it to literally create NEW mind-muscle connections, they are trying to push their body BEYOND the bodies actually pshyaical limits

Another bodybuilder notion I've seen is the concept of training "chest and back" on one day, them arms and core the other day, then leg day etc

Another is the "anti cardio" trope, again, Kai Greene or Phil Heath is not gonna be doing a gang of cardio and after you've built THAT kind of muscles over THAT long of a period of time, you burn fat like an actual machine. Those guys bodies are not "human"... They are just freaks of nature.

But a retailer breh should be doing cardio and sprints, every other day or daily, or oscillate between sprinting one day and jogging the other.

Most bodybuilders train 2 - 3 times a day. Their entire day is centered around eating, recovering(sleeping, gear) and training... So them dedicating entire sessions on one or 2 big muscle groups is almost irrelevant coz with may a 72 hour cycle, they've actually trained the entire body, whereas if you do legs on Tuesdays only, it won't work for you.

I see a lot of BODYBUILDER conventional methods being used, encouraged by regular brehs, with average genetics and no steroid/gear use or even a Mr Olympia, Arnold Classic etc context to their look.

I believe that ALL brehs pretty much wanna look more or less like Michael B Jordan or be skinny ripped (can't think of a famous lean ripped black actor)... Both looks can be achieved without MOST of the bodybuilding methods.

Do we really want legs like Dorian Yates or the sheer size of Ronnie.
I follow a lot of the nerdier side of Bodybuilding, and I have observed that Bodybuilding is a fine art/science for the insane.. Regular brehs can learn a lot about sleeping patterns, stretching, counting calories etc from bodybuilders, but a lot of that stuff they do is HIGHLY specialized and EXTREMELY specific to them.

It's long winded, but I'd love to hear anyone's take on it.
Again I'm open to being wrong and corrected.
I wouldn’t wholesale dismiss bodybuilding principles because we know they work regardless of genetics or gear use.

The reality is that it all comes down to individual goals. You have to adapt your training to your goal and your lifestyle factors. I try to read and listen to a lot of this stuff similar to you. Along those lines when people ask questions on the forum I usually respond with “what is the goal or what are you trying to achieve”. Point being there is a lot of ways to do things but without knowing what’s is trying to be accomplished, initial suggestions might not be helpful.

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
I wouldn’t wholesale dismiss bodybuilding principles because we know they work regardless of genetics or gear use.

The reality is that it all comes down to individual goals. You have to adapt your training to your goal and your lifestyle factors. I try to read and listen to a lot of this stuff similar to you. Along those lines when people ask questions on the forum I usually respond with “what is the goal or what are you trying to achieve”. Point being there is a lot of ways to do things but without knowing what’s is trying to be accomplished, initial suggestions might not be helpful.
I agree almost EVERYTHING in Bodybuilding is useful to us regular trainers. What I'm saying is people do a direct copy of what Phil Heath is doing.. Some will say "Dorian Yates only trained arms once a week" or "Phil Heather never does cardio", I've heard a lot of great Bodybuilding principles being misinterpreted or as you said "what is your goal?"..

Matter of fact that question can stop a lot of bullshyt arguments... One guy training to be as sexy/muscular toned as possible and another training to have a healthy functional body long term are gonna have vastly different approaches to diet, sleep, stretching, supplements etc. So I get your point.
Ima start asking people that from now on.