#AboutBillions Presents: "Chasing Billions" Broner vs Theophane on Spike TV, April 1st at 9pm et!!!!

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Robert Easter Jr. delivers on promise to stop former champion Algenis Mendez with fifth-round TKO
Apr 02, 2016 By Lem Satterfield

Robert Easter Jr. wanted to make a statement Friday night by being the first man to knock out former 130-pound champion Algenis Mendez. Consider that statement delivered—with authority.

video-thumbnail.jpg

Easter vs Mendez HIGHLIGHTS: April 1, 2016

After hurting Mendez with a counter left hook in the fourth round, Easter finished off his opponent in the fifth with a blistering, head-swiveling right hand that resulted in a technical knockout in their 135-pound bout before a screaming, sold-out crowd at the DC Armory in Washington, D.C.

Robert Easter Jr. (17-0, 13 KOs) earned his fifth consecutive stoppage victory by taking down Algenis Mendez (23-4-1, 12 KOs) on the undercard of a Spike-televised main event between four-division champion Adrien Broner and Ashley Theophane.

"My performance was OK. I could have done better, but I'm happy," said Easter, a 25-year-old native of Toledo, Ohio. "I got touched more than I expected. Once I settled down, I knew I was going to catch him. I had to stay patient.

"Two boxers makes for a boring fight. I wanted to go in there and brawl, but be smart. I knew when I stepped on the gas I would put him to bed, and that's what I did.”

The 6-foot Easter, who was coming off a third-round TKO of Juan Ramon Solis in October, pumped the jab from range in the first round, made effective use of his three-inch height advantage, moving in and out and firing rights to the head and body of his 5-foot-9 opponent.

Over the next three rounds, Easter engaged more toe-to-toe and exchanged to the head and body against Mendez, even absorbing and walking through an occasional overhand right to the temple.

The toll began to show on Mendez in the fourth round, when he was staggered by a counter left hook. The 29-year-old Brooklyn, New York, resident was able to maintain his balance from that shot, but not when Easter unleashed a swift, broadside right hand late in the fifth.

After getting struck with the blow, Mendez slowly sunk to the canvas. He was able to his feet, but referee William Johnson looked into Mendez’s eyes and didn’t like what he saw, waving an end to the fight.

“He was definitely the toughest opponent I have faced in a shorter fight. He is a former champ, and he came in ready,” said Easter. "This was a huge opportunity for me. Toledo, Ohio, showed up tonight in D.C., and I'm just happy I got the knockout."

Said Mendez: "For what it's worth, I feel good … at least physically I do. I’m pretty disappointed because of the way things turned out, but boxing is a difficult sport. “I don't have any excuses, [and] I honestly don't really remember what exactly happened.”

For Easter, the victory moved him another step closer to earning a world title opportunity. It also further validated his boxing career, which began with bathroom tissue on his fists and Vaseline on his face.

“As a child, living in the ghetto, I watched my mom, Robin Ellis, struggle with seven kids,” he recalled. “I was third born and one of five boys and two girls.

“I would go to the gym with my father and run around when I was like 4 or 5 years old. I would come home, go to the bathroom, wrap toilet paper around my hands and put Vaseline on my face and shadowbox for hours. It was natural for me. It was like I was born into boxing.”

Easter’s amateur success led to a near run-in with Broner at a junior Olympics tournament in Broner’s hometown of Cincinnati.

“I was 10, and luckily Adrien was 11 so we were fighting in two different divisions,” Easter said. “I fought first and I stopped my guy, who was actually from Cincinnati. Then I saw this broad-shouldered kid with these nasty braids in his hair. He looked like an adult beating up on kids.”

At that point, Broner and Easter formed a bond, one that remains strong today.

“My protégé, Robert Easter Jr., does things that amaze me,” Broner said prior to Friday’s fight card. “I know what he’s capable of. I’m happy for him to get this challenge against a former world champion.”

Having fully taken advantage of that challenge in front of a sellout crowd and national TV audience, Easter seems to have made that all-important leap from prospect to contender.

For complete coverage of Easter vs Mendez, head over to our fight page.

GDavis_1.jpg

Gervonta Davis scores with a right cross to the face of Guillermo Avila on Friday night in Washington, D.C. (Nabeel Ahmad/Premier Boxing Champions).

Gervonta Davis, Anthony Peterson cruise to easy victories

Baltimore southpaw Gervonta Davis (15-0, 14 KOs) followed up a fifth-round knockdown of Mexico’s Guillermo Avila (16-6, 13 KOs) with a series of vicious uppercuts that led to a sixth-round technical-knockout victory in a 135-pound bout. It was Davis’ sixth consecutive stoppage win.

Davis used a third-round uppercut to open up a cut that flowed blood from beneath Avila’s left eye, then broke him down with a blistering fourth-round body attack and battered him along the ropes with both hands as that round ended.

After the knockdown in Round 5, Davis came out firing in the sixth, landing blood-spattering, neck-snapping punches that led referee Michelle Myers to stop the fight 29 seconds into the final round.

"I knew he was a strong opponent,” said Davis, whose first win as a pro came in February 2013 at the DC Armory. “He kept bouncing back, and I actually thought he was going to get up at the end, too. “He brought out the best in me. There is always room to get better and better, but this is another step toward my dream.”

In an earlier clash of Beltway-area fighters, Anthony Peterson (37-1, 24 KOs), of Washington, D.C., failed to get his third straight stoppage, yet still managed a comfortable unanimous decision win over Samuel Kotey Neequaye (22-2, 15 KOs), a native of Accra, Ghana now living in Baltimore.

“It felt good to get touched and get some work in. I haven't gone 10 rounds since March of 2014,” said the 31-year-old Peterson, the younger brother of Lamont Peterson, a 32-year-old former 140-pound champion who watched from ringside. “A fighter is lying if he says he wants rounds.”

Robert Easter Jr. delivers on promise to stop former champion Algenis Mendez with fifth-round TKO

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
logo-black.svg

Adrien Broner maintains focus to score ninth-round stoppage of Ashley Theophane
Apr 02, 2016 By Lem Satterfield

Adrien Broner lost his 140-pound world title at the scale one day earlier, but he was in complete command in the ring Friday night as he dismantled Ashley Theophane over nine rounds in Washington, D.C.

video-thumbnail.jpg

Broner vs Theophane HIGHLIGHTS: April 1, 2016

Adrien Broner dominated Ashley Theophane throughout the fight, showing superior hand speed and landing his power punches with accuracy before a sold-out crowd of 8,172 at the DC Armory.

From the outset, Broner (32-2, 24 KOs) hammered Theophane (39-7-1, 11 KOs) evenly to the head and body, and hurt him with a flurry of punches in the third round.

Broner staggered and nearly dropped Theophane in the fourth, as the Englishman’s puffy face began to show the effects of the punches being absorbed.

Theophane momentarily righted himself in the sixth and seventh rounds as he took advantage of Broner’s decreased punch output and used his jab to keep the four-division champion at bay.

Broner finally brought things to an end in the ninth when he blasted Theophane with a body shot, followed by several equally vicious punches that were punctuated by a right to the head. Theophane, his hands at his side, stumbled across the ring as referee Luis Pabon waved an end to the fight at 1:10 of the round.

“I always could do better, but I did what I had to do to get the victory," Broner said. "Everybody who fights me comes with their ‘A’ game, and he came with his ‘A’ game, but even that wasn't good enough tonight.”

After demolishing the Englishman, Broner then called out Floyd Mayweather Jr., who promotes Theophane and was seated ringside, and urged the 39-year-old superstar to come out of retirement to fight him.

"I'm a man, but at the end of the day, somebody that I look up to, someone that I admire, took the chance to do an interview and talk bad about me,” said Broner, referring to recent statements Mayweather made about him.

“Floyd has got to see me. I come from nothing—I'm talking about water and cornflakes—and I will never let a man disrespect me. I don't care if we're sparring or if we're fighting, let's get it on.”

Broner was supposed to be defending his 140-pound world title Friday night for the first time after earning it in October with a 12th-round TKO of Khabib Allakhverdiev. However, the 26-year-old Cincinnati native was stripped of his championship Thursday after he weighed in just over the 140-pound division limit, although Theophane could have claimed the vacant title with a victory.

For complete coverage of Broner vs Theophane, visit our fight page.

Broner_Theophane_news_2.jpg

Adrien Broner used his speed and power to dominate Ashley Theophane and gain a ninth-round TKO on Friday night in Washington, D.C. (Nabeel Ahmad/Premier Boxing Champions)

Adrien Broner maintains focus to score ninth-round stoppage of Ashley Theophane

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Friday at Washington, D.C.

Adrien Broner TKO9 Ashley Theophane

Junior welterweight - a junior welterweight title remains vacant
Records: Broner (32-2, 24 KOs); Theophane (39-7-1, 11 KOs)

Rafael's remarks: Chaos surrounded Broner heading into this fight both in terms of non-boxing and boxing issues. "The Problem" was wanted in his hometown of Cincinnati on two outstanding arrest warrants for felony assault and aggravated robbery in which he is accused of assaulting a man and robbing him of $12,000 at gunpoint outside a bowling alley after losing the money to him in a night of gambling on their games. The DC Boxing and Wrestling Commission licensed Broner -- which was ridiculous -- after clearing his appearance with Ohio authorities, who made a deal with the 26-year-old fighter that he will turn himself on Monday, and then he can post $100,000 bail. As it relates to boxing, Broner missed weight (140.4) and was stripped of the title when he made no effort to lose 0.4 pounds. He paid Theophane, 35, of England, an extra $50,000 for missing weight for what was supposed to be his first title defense. It was the second time in his career that Broner, a four-division titleholder, lost a belt for missing weight. The same thing happened with his junior lightweight title in 2012.

When the bell rang, however, Broner did his thing, which was dominate Theophane, who did not get the fight on merit. He got it because of his connection -- his promoter is retired superstar Floyd Mayweather, who, by the way, Broner called out after the fight in a WWE-like scene as Mayweather laughed at ringside.

Theophane, whose six-fight winning streak ended, put on a very game effort in front of the sold-out crowd of 8,172 but he was outclassed by Broner, who had much better speed, power, defense and technique. He hurt Theophane with a left hand in the third round and nearly stopped him in the fourth round, the round he predicted he would score the knockout. He got it in the ninth. Theophane was fading, his legs were shaky and Broner cracked him with an overhand right, a left to the body that appeared below the belt and another right that sent Theophane across the ring, which caused referee Luis Pabon to wave the fight off at 1 minute, 10 seconds.

After the fight Broner said he would move back up to welterweight and wanted to fight Mayweather. He also said he was interested in a shot at titleholder (and friend) Danny Garcia. But Broner isn't going to be fighting anyone so soon, at least until he deals with potentially serious legal problems.

Robert Easter Jr. TKO5 Algenis Mendez
Lightweight
Records: Easter Jr. (17-0, 14 KOs); Mendez (23-4-1, 12 KOs)

Rafael's remarks: Easter, 25, of Toledo, Ohio, is a blue chip prospect who should command your attention. He is a nearly 6-foot lightweight with a lanky build, long arms, a powerful jab and tremendous power in his right hand that flows effortlessly. Watching him erase Mendez, a former junior lightweight titleholder, with one right hand immediately brought to mind another fighter with similar attributes -- the late former lightweight and junior lightweight champion Diego Corrales.

Easter was taking a huge step up in competition against Mendez, 29, a Dominican Republic native fighting out of Yonkers, New York, who outpointed former lightweight titlist Miguel Vazquez in his previous fight. Mendez was not some shot, old fighter. For Easter to dominate him with an array of punches, including his jab and right uppercut, and then take him out was very impressive.

Mendez got caught on the ropes in the fifth round and Easter unloaded a short overhand right that caught him clean on the side of the head and dropped him. It was a spectacular punch that Mendez never saw. He struggled to his feet but he was gone and referee Billy Johnson called off the fight at 2 minutes, 43 seconds. If Easter were a stock the advice would be to buy as much as possible.

Gervonta Davis TKO6 Guillermo Avila
Junior lightweight
Records: Davis (15-0, 14 KOs); Avila (16-6, 13 KOs)

Rafael's remarks: Davis, a 21-year-old prospect from Baltimore, is a gifted offensive fighter whom Floyd Mayweather raves about. He got to strut his stuff on Spike as he took apart Guillermo Avila, 23, of Mexico. Davis, a southpaw, needs to shore up his defense and refine some of his moves, but he's fun to watch. He hurt Avila repeatedly during the dominant performance. He cut him over the left eye in the third round and battered him in the fourth round, in which he almost got the stoppage. He dropped Avila with a left hand down the pipe late in the fifth round. In the sixth round, he got the stoppage, backing Avila in the ropes and landing a series of flush right uppercuts before referee Michelle Myers stepped in at 29 seconds. Keep an eye on this kid.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Scorecards at the time of the Broner vs Theophane 9th round stoppage

Judge Glen Feldman: 6-2 Broner....gave AB rounds 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8.

Judge Steve Rados: 6-2 Broner...gave AB rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 8.

Judge Tammye Jenkins: 5-3 Broner...gave AB rounds 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8.

Steve Farhood: 6-2 Broner...gave AB rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8.

Fight Scorecard - Broner vs Theophane | April 1, 2016
Broner vs Theophane Results & Highlights | April 1, 2016

I think I seen you asking what they were @patscorpio....there you go breh:ehh:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
@Newzz please share your experiences in our nation's capital and catching a fight at the DC armory breh :salute:

Man, the women....the women.....the women:ohlawd:

I don't know if it was because it was an AB/Floyd co-promoted thing or it it's like that all the time, but so many :banderas: women were strolling around that building:wow:

My older cuz just walked around recording the women the entire time:heh:

Here's how it looked inside for the AB vs Theophane fight. The DC Armory was crazy lit:whew:

As you can see when I got out...I was still running my mouth due to my earlier argument with a few TMT stans who actually had the audacity to be mad because AB won:mjlol:

It was packed though breh. I definitely will be coming back to DC to catch a couple more fights at the Armory:obama:

We got there at 6pm and just parked on the side street so we could get our drink & smoke on. I was so :smoker: and :drunk: at the same time off the Girl Scout Cookies and Pineapple Ciroc, everything was in slow motion HD for me the entire night, but because of it I ended up missing the J'leon Love fight vs Gbenga, but I caught Anthony Peterson's fight and then the live telecast began:blessed:

Last edited:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
@Newzz were the police in full effect in there?...any personal incidents of fukkery that you witnessed?

Honestly....I only recall seeing about 10-15 police officers:dead: But maybe because I was messed up:lupe:

There wasn't enough security there if something was gonna REALLY pop off with all the TMT vs About Billions beef.....but nothing happened because the venue had a lot of Ohio people there. Out of the 8,000+ I would guess that at LEAST 3000 were from Ohio alone. No way could it be that many people from Ohio in the building and something was gonna happen to somebody from Ohio:manny:

In my section was Robert Easter's people from Toledo. They were like 20 deep in N5, but they told me about 60-70 of his family members were scattered around in the venue and that AB had about 200-300 friends and family in the building:ehh:

My seat...you know how the opening is when you walk into the actual arena where the ring is set up? I was to the right, up the very first flight of stairs and only up 9 rows from the ground. I had an amazing view of the fight and Hateweather's jewelry was dancing all night from my seat:wow:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Honestly....I only recall seeing about 10-15 police officers:dead: But maybe because I was messed up:lupe:

There wasn't enough security there if something was gonna REALLY pop off with all the TMT vs About Billions beef.....but nothing happened because the venue had a lot of Ohio people there. Out of the 8,000+ I would guess that at LEAST 3000 were from Ohio alone. No way could it be that many people from Ohio in the building and something was gonna happen to somebody from Ohio:manny:

In my section was Robert Easter's people from Toledo. They were like 20 deep in N5, but they told me about 60-70 of his family members were scattered around in the venue and that AB had about 200-300 friends and family in the building:ehh:

My seat...you know how the opening is when you walk into the actual arena where the ring is set up? I was to the right, up the very first flight of stairs and only up 9 rows from the ground. I had an amazing view of the fight and Hateweather's jewelry was dancing all night from my seat:wow:

lol i guess it was different for me...my seat was on the floor and security was marching all up in the rows personally checking ppls tickets and if needed kicking them out left and right lol..shyt was comedy as i was watching that and taking those 10 dollar beer cans to the face :dame:..but yeah dc armory is a cool ass spot to catch fights...i agree with you breh..shyt if thurman-porter cant be held in ct, i wouldnt mind it being held there...any excuse to head down to DC actually lol

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I don't know how the judges were able to find rounds to give to Theophane. nikkas were reaching hard :mjlol:

truly a testament to the pull of #Hateweather promotions. :whew:
Comparison rounds theopane finally stop getting his ass kicked so many thought he stole some middle rounds off activity. :yeshrug: